Southerncannuck

I like gauges!

Southerncannuck

My C-125 had a hole in the dash when I bought it. I added a voltmeter which I must admit looks great. There's another spot for a second gauge which I'd like to use. I don't want an amp meter since my volt gauges tell me all I need to know electrically. 

So, do you guys have any recommendations?  

Edited by Southerncannuck

SylvanLakeWH

How about a standard power outlet (cig lighter to us old farts)? I added one under my hood to keep it dry and use it for my flasher when plowing...Just a thought...

IMG_0573.JPG

IMG_0574.JPG

• Like 3

Daddy Don

How about a gas guage

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

How about an hour meter?

userj8670

Monster tach 

• Like 2

Southerncannuck
6 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

How about an hour meter?

That's sound like the easiest way to fix my need for symmetry. I have to say however that a tach is impressive. 

44 minutes ago, wheeledhorseman said:

I like gauges too - so a couple of years back I replaced the voltmeter and added a tacho to my 316-8. It meant fabbing a new dash panel but I think it was well worth the effort. Some say you don't need a tacho but I find it useful and...... I like the look.

gauge1.jpg

gauge2.jpg

Andy

That's very impressive. I used to build instrument panels for F4s when I served in the USAF. I still like gauges. 

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: Yeah, how cool is that? 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH
7 minutes ago, squonk said:

How about an 8 ball from an Apollo capsule for all the guys with hills. "We keep getting close to gimbal lock Jack! " :)8 ball.jpg

Houston, we have a problem...

• Like 1

TDF5G
5 hours ago, bds1984 said:

Well you could always go nuts with gauges like I did on my C165 during it's refresh.  In addition to the ammeter, I custom made a dash panel out of diamond plate to house a tach, hour meter, and gas gauge.  The lower portion has a digital voltmeter with a USB and cigarette lighter.  If a K341 had full pressure lube, I would definitely be installing an oil pressure gauge!  

I like your steering wheel.  I put one of those on my golf cart.  Never thought about using one on a Horse.

bds1984
18 minutes ago, TDF5G said:

I like your steering wheel.  I put one of those on my golf cart.  Never thought about using one on a Horse.

Thanks... it came off a Toro Groundsmaster 345 I believe.  The Toro logo has been removed and has a proper Wheel Horse cap now.

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse
11 hours ago, Southerncannuck said:

That's sound like the easiest way to fix my need for symmetry. I have to say however that a tach is impressive. 

That's very impressive. I used to build instrument panels for F4s when I served in the USAF. I still like gauges. 

Andy , I like the tach , what brand did you use? What model number ?

wheeledhorseman
38 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Andy , I like the tach , what brand did you use? What model number ?

The voltmeter and tacho are from the marine range of gauges made by Durite here in the UK.

http://www.durite.co.uk/s/c/equipment-and-accessories/gauges/marine/tachometer-270-sweep-dial-12-24v

I used the 0-4000 rpm model, its an electronic tacho with one of the leads designed for hooking up to an alternator tag on a marine engine. Tachos on cars these days use the same idea. There's an adjustment pot accessed from the back to tweak the displayed rpm to the source of pulses as not all alternators turn at the same speed relative to the crankshaft speed. It was a bit of a gamble that it could be adjusted to match the pulses produced by an Onan twin but it worked. I also tried it with a Kohler on one of my Cs and it could be adjusted to give a correct reading for that as well. There are details in a post I made back in 2014 here http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/46713-analogue-tachometer-for-onan-kohler/

The tacho was pricey compared with the cheap stuff from China and it seems difficult to get 270 degree analogue display anywhere these days so I went for the Durite solution.

The post I made about making up the new dash panel for the 316 can be found here http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/topic/46942-new-dashboard-for-the-316-8/

Hope this helps

Andy

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Thanks , I see some reading in my future.

Southerncannuck

I finally got around to installing another gauge, if for no other reason than symmetry. I started with an empty hole in the dash and added a voltmeter.  I was hoping to find a chrome bezeled gauge that fit my budget but in the end I settled for a black bezeled hour gauge.  Though it was mainly done to satisfy my OCD and balance the dash I figure It'll come in handy for maintenance intervals. 

DSCN1321.JPG

• Like 1

DougC

Looks fine to me! In my humble opinion anything looks better than an empty hole in a dash plate.  :handgestures-thumbupright:  And you could always paint the volt gauge bezel black if you so desired.

DP 59

I'm i wrong thinking this TRW hour meter is as good as the Hobbs meter that would have come on my new to me 74, c120 . Made in USA ! I think it's from the 70s and it was 25$? image.jpg

DP 59
On July 2, 2016 at 1:39 PM, DP 59 said:

I'm i wrong thinking this TRW hour meter is as good as the Hobbs meter that would have come on my new to me 74, c120 . Made in USA ! I think it's from the 70s and it was 25$? image.jpg

Installed, hour meter 10 years newer.

image.jpg

• Like 1