wheeledhorseman

Another horse squeezes its way into my stable

Daddy Don

Great find. Just a little bit of cleaning and it will be ready for work. 

• Like 4

elcamino/wheelhorse

That really looks in good shape. It is surprising what people consider beyond repair or not worth the trouble , when a little TLC gets horse back up and running.

• Like 3

Indiana_Steve

Just like the  Raider I used to mow with a couple of years ago. Nice tractor.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

:bow-blue:  How could you not...   :text-coolphotos:

bring that awesome :wh: home with you?  

• Like 4

Bert
26 minutes ago, AMC RULES said:

:bow-blue:  How could you not...   :text-coolphotos:

bring that awesome :wh: home with you?  

Nothing more to be said 

:) than that. 

• Like 4

Wishin4a416

Nice score!! In real good shape for its age.

• Like 3

elliot ness

Great Wheel Horse find. Enjoy friend.:greetings-clappingyellow:

• Like 3

KC9KAS

Nice looking horse.

That model number in the USA is a 1971 RAIDER 12 according to my sheet.

• Like 2

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

lucky devil you are. nice shape. not beat up looking.

Glenn

• Like 2

stevebo

Did they originally come with an 8 speed?

Shynon

Nice looking Horse you have there. Is that a stock steering wheel?

• Like 1

russellmc301

the knob is what i have my my A-100, it is a custom feature.:deadhorse:

• Like 1

ClassicTractorProfessor

Good find...doesn't need much to be up and going like new again

• Like 1

wheeledhorseman

Thanks for he comments guys - of course buying it was a no-brainer but so important not to appear desperate to have when a price had yet to be agreed! 

8 hours ago, KC9KAS said:

Nice looking horse.

That model number in the USA is a 1971 RAIDER 12 according to my sheet.

There are to my knowledge no known factory lists for the Amnor production in Belgium so some guess work is involved. There are also differences between what was assembled in Europe under a model number and the US hence my comment in the original post. I'll get a better pic of the data plate today also the Kohler serial which may help.

8 hours ago, stevebo said:

Did they originally come with an 8 speed?

Hmmm.. the differences between US production and Belgian production have given rise to the urban legend that when they ran out of particular parts at Amnor they cobbled together what they could. I'm not certain that this is a complete explanation but there are many differences.

I started collecting Amnor serials at one point and in that list is a 1972 Model 1-3010 serial no 127477, badged as a Raider 10  4 speed and I made the note that it was "the same mod no as 1971 US Raider 12 but 10 hp and 4 speed transmission". My latest addition to the herd is interesting in that the serial is slightly earlier (126220) same model number (1-3010) built and badged as 10 hp 8 speed. 

Andy

• Like 1

neil

That's an awesome find Andy, good to see you are still interested in the brand , we also miss having you around .

A little glue on that rear fender decal looks like all is needed .

Neil

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

wheeledhorse-man Must be your lucky day. looks well maintained, should be a good worker.

• Like 2

wheeledhorseman
13 hours ago, neil said:

That's an awesome find Andy, good to see you are still interested in the brand , we also miss having you around .

A little glue on that rear fender decal looks like all is needed .

Neil

Good to be back Neil, still haven't got back to having the time that I had but hope to be making posts once again. BTW  I still have those rear wheels on the shelf with your name on them.

23 hours ago, Shynon said:

Nice looking Horse you have there. Is that a stock steering wheel?

It certainly is, and complete with metal foil WH logo sticker. Not sure if this style was used in any of the US production but it was used on some models Amnor built in Belgium.

rup9.jpg

I'm not keen on the overall design from a visual point of view - to my mind it's too kind of kiddie toy tractorish. Guess I'll keep it though as it is original.

Andy

• Like 2

wheeledhorseman

I've learnt from previous experience that it's a good idea to work your way round a new purchase checking a few things over before giving it a major outing and, knowing from the test drive that the brake didn't work, a rear wheel had to come off. The fact that the wheel bolts looked well kind of not at all rusty seemed a good omen.

anno1.jpg

Not so! I'm guessing they were this good looking because the wheel had possibly never been taken off in 45 years. The tyres are typically cracked original Carlisles. The threads protruding through the hub were well rusted and even after cleaning it was a struggle to get the bolts out with the ever present danger of shearing them off but patience won the day. The wheel then refused to be parted from the hub - another little challenge which penetrating fluid and some gentle tapping so as not to loosen the axle inside the transmission paid off. Getting on for an hour to get a rear wheel off may seem excessive but it's nothing compared with doing the same on a 200 series when the wheel has rusted onto the axle so be thankful I said (or something like that).

anno2.jpg

Two things became apparent; there had been a significant oil leak at some point though the gunk was now well dried and hard, also no sign of any friction lining which presumably had become detached as a result of getting a good oiling. One bonus though was the fact that under the 'oil cake' the drum surface and the steel brake band had been perfectly preserved.

The other side of the drum was completely full of dry grass and oil cake extending to the tranny casing itself. With everything cleaned up. the drum back on, and the tranny filled to the correct level I took the tractor for a bimble round the field expecting to find oil leaking but apparently not. Perhaps it only leaks when it gets hot so its a bit of a mystery.

On the other side of the tractor the clutch idler pulley sounded a bit rough and having taken it off found it was stiff where some years of lack of use and drying out of the grease had taken its toll. Cleaned it, painted it. and got a bit of oil past the dust seal. With the oil worked in the pulley seemed good to go again. I may need to replace it but for now it will do and so far I've yet to replace an idler rejuvenated in this way.

anno4.jpg

One thing not on the photo is all the black dried oil crud from an oil leak round the transmission drive pulley that I had to scrape off. As with the brake drum, taking the tractor for a run didn't produce any sign of an oil leak on this side either. The mystery deepens.

It's my first encounter with a Raider and the rather Heath Robinson dipstick arrangement on the transmission case compared with the later C series tractors I have. One thing's for sure though, any build up of pressure in the case certainly won't get past that piece of industrial engineering! Could the answer to the historic oil leaks be down to this maybe?

Another question for the experts - I have some woven brake lining strip to reline the brake band. Heating it up will make it more flexible but I'm not convinced it will form to the radius required. Should I cut some slots in it to aid forming it to shape?

A final pic for now. Discovering a WH or even Toro sticker on a replacement part is par for the course but it appears that the idler pulley was replaced fairly early on in the tractor's life as it has a Mountfield label on it. Mountfield distributed WHs of both US and Belgian origin together with the spares for them in the UK during the 1970s.

anno3.jpg

Andy

• Like 2

Horse46

That's in really great shape, mine was similar condition just less paint. It looks to be rust free from the pictures. Great find.

• Like 1

DougC

Its fun to stumble across finds like that, and to know the people selling it is even better! Congratulations and enjoy your new  :wh:

• Like 1

Racinbob

Very cool find. I see that seat on a lot of tractors over there. Is there a manufacturers name on it? I'd like to see if I could find one over here. :)

• Like 1

wheeledhorseman

Thanks for the encouraging comments guys - it's a bit rustier than comes out in the photos but it is surface rust and nothing serious.

13 hours ago, Racinbob said:

Very cool find. I see that seat on a lot of tractors over there. Is there a manufacturers name on it? I'd like to see if I could find one over here. :)

rupertb.jpg

It is a 'Baltic' by Bostrom. As you say a lot of these were the standard seat fitted to WHs sold in the UK during that period. I'm not sure if they were fitted at the Amnor factory as standard for Europe or whether Mountfield fitted them once they arrived here.

The company still exists as KAB and they still make a very similar seat http://www.kabseating.co.uk/P2.html I suspect the mounting hole spacing is probably different now as I found this when using one of their other seats on my D-200.

I've been continuing to work through the various little age-relates issues on the tractor as and when I have time and have now sorted the lack of having a brake that works. Not sure how others reline the brake band but after a bit of head scratching I did it like this....

bband1.jpg

Having cut a length of woven lining material  (a bit over length) I heated it with a hot air gun till it became pliable and formed it roughly to shape by hand. Using a brake drum from a Sundstrand transmission I had on the shelf as a former and the lining secured to it with a hose clip, it was heated up, the clip tightened, and then allowed to cool down. The idea worked well but at each end the lining was not quite flat against the drum so the process was repeated with a second wider clip added.

bband2.jpg

The result this time was pretty much perfect. The Sundstrand drum was ideal in that it was easy to heat up being hollow and having little mass but the brake drum from the manual transmission on the tractor would have done the same job.

bband3.jpg

So the lining was trimmed to length and a slot filed into the outer edge so that it sat down over the rivet heads that secure the band to the L bracket at one end. I then applied some SIKAFLEX 221 (a black mastic like adhesive sealant) to the outer surface and put the brake band back onto the tractor.

bband4.jpg

No its not a 'Redneck' parking brake - simply a way I thought up of applying pressure to the brake band overnight while the adhesive cured. Result.........

bband5.jpg

Next day it was ready to adjust the brake and the brake now works perfectly making it a much less scary thing to ride. You only come to realize how much you use the brake on a WH when you haven't got one that works.

Andy

• Like 6

Racinbob

Thanks Andy. I'll see if they are available here. :)

meadowfield

Nice find, nice work and good to have you back Andy! :thumbs: