Nathanielperz

K301 Compression test?

Nathanielperz

Hi everyone! Unfortunately I think the K301 is losing compression. I rented a compression tester from Advanced Auto Parts (I highly recommend doing this! It's one of those things that you don't need all the time unless you're a mechanic. It's $40 to rent and you get it for 3 months or something like that but when you bring it back you get all your money back including tax!) So i tested the compression and I got around 60 PSI so I figured its losing compression. So I called my local :wh: dealer to see if he could order me a rebuild kit (I know i can get it on ebay but i just like having an excuse to go down there) and i told him my situation and he said that those engines almost always run when they have low compression they just smoke like crazy and that my reading could be inaccurate because those engines have a compression release. 

How would I test to see if i'm losing compression? He suggested putting an air fitting in the spark plug hole and put air in there with a compressor with the piston at top-dead-center and where ever it leaks from thats what needs to be fixed.

I just wanted to see if you guys had any other suggestions or if you could tell me what places the air could come from so i know what to look for.

Thanks in advance,

Nate

953 nut

Kohlers have an Automatic Compression Release which makes it easier to crank over, 60 PSI at cranking speed may not be a problem. Do a search on here for "leakdown" and you will see what others have learned and how they did it.

• Like 1

wallfish

Why do you think it's loosing compression? Does it blow white smoke?

Maybe some background and the symptoms your having might help with internet diagnostics.

• Like 2

pfrederi

Your dealer basically described a leak down test.  You could probably rent/buy a leak down tester from the same auto parts store, however you need a supply of compressed air.  With the piston at TDC of the compression stroke.  You apply  compressed air into the spark plug hole. Air could come out of the exhaust pipe (bad exhaust valve), the carb (bad intake valve) or the dipstick/crank case breather...bad rings.  Some leakage around the rings is inevitable the tester will have a gauge that tells you if the leakage is acceptable.

• Like 2

Kegler

Many years ago we made our own adapters out of spark plugs. Take an old spark plug and break the insulator out of the metal fitting. and weld a quick connect into the plug. We had a few of these to cover the different size plugs. Snug it in and supply air. This is not a definitive test but will give you an idea where to look next.

Nathanielperz
14 hours ago, wallfish said:

Why do you think it's loosing compression? Does it blow white smoke?

Maybe some background and the symptoms your having might help with internet diagnostics.

it does blow white smoke but i didn't realize that it was a sign of compression loss. I thought it was losing compression because I've gone through the carb several times and its clean but it still pops and sputters but won't stay running. I talked to the Power Equipment teacher at my school and he said it sounded like compression loss.

-Nate

953 nut

The pop and sputter could be ignition points timing. Give this a try.

Kohler static_timing.pdf

Edited by 953 nut

wallfish

The white smoke is oil burning and a possible indication of worn rings and/or scored cylinder walls, ect. ect. I've had engines run fine while blowing smoke but not have as much power so the pop and sputter could be a separate issue. Either way it sounds like a possible rebuild is in order for that engine. The teacher should be able to help you measure and check everything to see what is going on and compare what they are to the acceptable Kohler specs. Sounds like you have an excellent resource in that teacher so use it.

• Like 2

Nathanielperz

i hope i dont have to hone it out.

wallfish
47 minutes ago, Nathanielperz said:

i hope i dont have to hone it out.

You should hope that's all it needs!!! plus a set of rings. That's a fairly easy solution if that's all it needs compared to the alternatives unless it's just over filled with oil.

• Like 1