Capt Beak

520H Wheel wobbles

Capt Beak

Was taking the wheel weights off of a 520H to change from blowing snow to mowing grass and I noticed the right wheel wobbles a bit, meaning if you grab the tire at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock you can move it forward and backwards a bit. Does any one have an idea of what might of worn or failed?  How in depth is it likely to be to repair?  If I have to I can use a Cub Cadet to mow and take my time getting the Wheel Horse fixed right as I mostly consider it as a riding snow blower that I can mow grass with. Or to ask the real question is the transaxle/axle in the Wheel Horse easier to fix than the oil leak and steering in the Cub Cadet? 

Edited by Capt Beak

AMC RULES

Check your hubs set screw?  :scratchead: 

doc724

If there is no oil leak on the side that wobbles, it is, as Craig has said either a set screw or worn keyway problem.  Rarely is it just a set screw and if the keyway has wallowed out the axle shaft, then it is a different repair.  If there is oil leaking out the side that wobbles, then you probably have a failed needle bearing.

stevasaurus

About 1/8" in and out is normal...side to side and up and down is not.  Hub or bearing, like was stated above.  If it is a bearing, that requires dropping the trans and opening up...not a hard job to do.  :)  Let's see what you find.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• tomabrown77
      By tomabrown77
      my 1067 stopped moving; limited slip had worn out long ago;  now input pully is turning , but tractor doesnt move --- very slight motion forward or backward if on level ground with no resistance.  Enough to tell me shift lever is actually changing gears.
      I suspect input shaft woodruff keys but might be something worse ... i am interested in perhaps buying a new, used,or rebuilt  transaxle if someone has one they would part with.  And any advice on opening up the transaxle and looking inside .  Or where i can find parts to rebuild it myself...

ps i was on forum about 5 years ago,  forgot my username so i joined again
    • Mikey j
      By Mikey j
      Hi everyone, I have a 1969 raider12 6speed trans, Thant I’m going to change the oil in. But I don’t have a dipstick how do I get the two quarts in there? i tried filling from the side port only got about 700mils in. Thanks in advance!
    • BMW1
      By BMW1
      I have not had to do this before and want to make sure I'm doing it correctly.

Picture of bearing and seal is attached.

Is the bearing supposed to fit in the groove of the oil seal or is the seal supposed to flush against the bearing?  I think the latter is correct?

Thanks

• BMW1
      By BMW1
      We are putting this transaxle back together and noticed the parking brake pawl seems to be in bad shape.
      The part is NLA but someone said it could be mig welded and filed.

I have never seen what it should look like. Is there supposed to be a "notch" in the pawls or should the weld be built up and then filed so there is no "notch"?

• Barcaskey
      By Barcaskey
      I have a D-180 that broke an axle I have got all new parts and have removed transaxle from machine.  The 2 parts I am missing for re assembly are the metal screen with magnet for inside trans  and a new gasket from transaxle to pump.  I have done some looking and can not find these parts.  I have the old screen but the rubber gasket on the end of it has some rot and is apart from the screen.   The gasket is still in place but i would feel better putting in a new one before re build.  Thanks for your help