Thisguyisnew

Mowing with 1977 C-160

Thisguyisnew

Still amazing to think this tractor had been sitting as long as it had before I got it. Been mowing ever since, of course had to put work into it but nothing major. The grass it's able to cut enables me to mow  on my schedule with one pass. Saving me so much time. It came with a plow and tiller but don't think I want to be using those. For a couple of reasons... One don't have that much of a need right now, and two don't want to put to much wear on a thirty-something year old trans. Mows like a champ want to keep it that way. Am I wrong?

• Like 6

Wishin4a416

Welcome to Red Square and I wouldnt worry about the tranny. Now if was one of those new models with a 15 pound pot metal tranny, I would worry.

• Like 7

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Newguy, welcome to the red square . How about some pictures, best of luck.

Glenn

• Like 1

Thisguyisnew

Thanks and I kind of wanted to try them out myself but still would want to baby it. When I first mowed I actually set the throttle way below max RPMs and it still cut heavy grass with no problem. Had some vision of it blowing balance gears because of it  sitting for so long. Now no worries. I'll try and get some pictures but every time I see it now it's just to mow... no real fan fare and I know that it can clean up nice.

• Like 2

Tankman

Sounds like a dedicated Horse for mowing.

Another Stallion, just in case you want to garden, tiller Horse.

Ok so now a Horse for the plow, necessary, just in case! Gotta have a plow Horse of course!

So far so good! You might like a Horse for a snowblower. You're going to need that, maybe but, just in case!

Your herd of Horses can share the gas cans!  :rolleyes:

WH-Group-All-4.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 9

chorusguy

Great machines.  I have several if them.  Be careful about running it at low Rpm the engine is designed to rev at 3600 it relies upon the high rpms for lubrication.  If you run it low you might destroy it with your good intentions. 

Also, I think I read somewhere that somebody said that if all the things we do with our little red wonders, that mowing is one of the toughest.  

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

:WRS:    and to the WHA  (wheel horse addiction)  support group and half way house.   

You may only have one, but some of your comments indicate you have already contracted the dreaded WHA .

IMG_4306.JPG

• Like 2

Tankman
3 hours ago, chorusguy said:

Great machines.  I have several if them.  Be careful about running it at low Rpm the engine is designed to rev at 3600 it relies upon the high rpms for lubrication.  If you run it low you might destroy it with your good intentions. 

Also, I think I read somewhere that somebody said that if all the things we do with our little red wonders, that mowing is one of the toughest.  

High rpm's for air flow, don't need heat! :angry-nono:

• Like 2

Thisguyisnew

Boy you guys aren't kidding I did wonder where I could find another one of these for tilling and without even thinking about it. Spooky... also thanks for rpm advice but just so you knowI only did that really for the first mow kind of like a re-break in period at least that was the thought. I do know however it will cut tall heavy grass with no problem because I have kind of an obstacle course in a great many areas. Which brings up the turning radius. Awesome

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Welcome to Red Square. The horses are built to work , keep the oil changed ,blades sharp clean the deck and let it work. They don't like to sit . Of course there are show horses . The true addict has a show horse and the same model as a worker.

• Like 1

can whlvr

welcome,and as replied already don't be afraid to use her,they are very tough machines,i have a couple of 160,s and I use them regular and hard,and you should run her wide open,for air flow and to keep her lubed,shes a splash oil unit,so don't run her too slow

• Like 1

TDF5G

:WRS:

Don't be afraid to work your Wheel Horse. That's what they were built for!

ericj

you don't say if you have a hydro or a stick, if hydro you must run 3/4 or higher rpms for the tranny to operate right and prevent damage

eric j

Thisguyisnew

It's a Hydro  Sorry that I did not mention it.

DougC

Hello and  :text-welcomeconfetti: .    Enjoy the forum!  :handgestures-thumbupright:.  Consider becoming a supporting member. Pictures are a breeze to post then.    :)   

mabsoon

Welcome :) I say buy another C-160 and get rid of the tiller :)

Oh wait! :)

dells68
On May 21, 2016 at 5:22 PM, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Welcome to Red Square. The horses are built to work , keep the oil changed ,blades sharp clean the deck and let it work. They don't like to sit . Of course there are show horses . The true addict has a show horse and the same model as a worker.

Oh oh.  Now I know I'm sick.  You just described me!  Fixing up one GT14 and getting ready to put another to use this morning;).  Is there any help for this addiction, or am I doomed?

• Like 1

TDF5G

There is no cure, only therapy.  Buy more Horses!

:lol:

mabsoon

:text-yeahthat: when do you want me to deliver the next C-160 :wh:?

Tonight at 9pm right?

:ROTF: :ychain:

How about Friday at 6:30?

Thisguyisnew

Now I get what you meant, 6:30 Friday. They are like potato chips really you can't stop at just one. 

• Like 1