JimmyJam

3rd gear jumps out

JimmyJam

What would cause 3rd gear to not stayin gear? Commando 8 tranny.

I can hold it in place, but the minute I let go, it jumps out of gear to neutral. 1st & 2nd gear perfect!

prondzy

3rd gear is shot, time for a rebuild, :no:it has been shifted into too many times while the input shaft is still spinning. This is why a person needs to come to a complete stop before changing gears. Now the hunt for the getting illusive 3rd gear. 

• Like 1

Coadster32

When/if you split the tranny...you'll understand. 3r'd gear is engaged less then 1/2 as much as the other gears. The other gears need to be completely toasted before they wouldn't work. 3rd gear is not the same by any means, and most likely the input shaft/gear is just as bad. You can do the old "bungy chord on the shifter" trick alot of puller guys do if you don't feel like splitting the tranny case. Another option could be a donor tranny. Alot of trannys will bolt right in. Don't forget about the "elusive" bearings as well as the input/3rd gear. There is a chance that it could be a wornout shift fork...(Only one way to find out for sure though.)

• Like 1

Racinbob

Here's the gear (part #3523) prondzy is talking about.

3523 Comparison.JPG

The one on the left is new, the right is worn some but should be OK. This is a weak spot in these transmissions. The internal teeth link to the input teeth in 3rd gear. You can see that they are just about screaming "grind me down". You need to make sure the input shaft/gear (#3522) are in good shape as well. Running with no belt guard or an improperly adjusted one is a definite no-no. It didn't help any that, in the earlier years, Wheel Horse stated in the manuals that you should depress the brake/clutch pedal half way when shifting while moving. :no:

• Like 4

JimmyJam

Thanks Guys! It just so happens that I have a donor tranny laying around from a parts tractor (B-80). I bought the Commando 800 last year to be my mower tractor.  Found it for sale on the side of a dirt road while visiting my sister in NY. Started right up, so I bought for $100 & hauled it home. Once I have the tranny off, and swapped, I will split the tranny and check it out! Thanks again!

Kris5s64

I'd like to get some spare gears for my 414-8... It works just fine, but I want to have the spares for future use, if necessary... Do they still make them for this model ? What all models/ years use the same gears ? Thank you.

stevasaurus

Here is a manual for a 414-8.  It has the transmission breakdown toward the end of the 3rd manual.  This will give you the gear #s for your trans.  Any 8 speed transmission should bolt right in.  The 6 speed transmissions will share some of the same gears, but not all.  I don't think you can get any gears from TORO anymore, and if you can, they will be more expensive...probably more then you want to spend for spare parts you may never need.  Your best bet is to pick up a good spare 8 speed transmission from a show/swap or from a vendor here on Red Square.  Scott's M&G may be a good lace to start looking.  The Mentone Spring Swap Meet is another good source.  Racinfool40 (Mike) will be at both places...send him a PM and see what he has available.  He could bring what you are looking for and save you some shipping.  :)

• Like 3

Lagersolut
5 hours ago, stevasaurus said:

Here is a manual for a 414-8.  It has the transmission breakdown toward the end of the 3rd manual.  This will give you the gear #s for your trans.  Any 8 speed transmission should bolt right in.  The 6 speed transmissions will share some of the same gears, but not all.  I don't think you can get any gears from TORO anymore, and if you can, they will be more expensive...probably more then you want to spend for spare parts you may never need.  Your best bet is to pick up a good spare 8 speed transmission from a show/swap or from a vendor here on Red Square.  Scott's M&G may be a good lace to start looking.  The Mentone Spring Swap Meet is another good source.  Racinfool40 (Mike) will be at both places...send him a PM and see what he has available.  He could bring what you are looking for and save you some shipping.  :)

Steve I checked one of my past orders at Jacks and Toro still carries the gears for my 8 - price today  $75 for low and reverse -$57 for 2nd and hi .  ( ouch ) :)

Mine were beveled pretty bad and it also jumped out of gear so I bit the bullet and hit pay now .

• Like 2

stevasaurus

It is nice to know that you still can get some of the gears for the 8 speed trannys...even though they are like gold...they are new.  It won't be long, and we will be down to used parts only.  Another 40 years will out last me.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2