Achto

Are you insured at the show?

Achto

Like many others I enjoy going to shows to see other people's toys as well as show off my toys. At some of the local shows that I visit yearly they have started to require proof of insurance if you plan on using your garden tractor or what ever else you have as a means of transportation on the grounds. Now no one wants to think about their tractors getting damaged, but that risk I am willing to take. Doing bodily damage to someone on the other hand could haunt you for life, mentally and financially. Most shows that I go to have speed limits of 5mph or less, but accidents can still happen.

In the past my home owners ins. has been sufficient to cover any proof liability. After an ins. consultation I have now been informed that while I have full coverage on my tractors while they are on my property, there is no coverage after they leave my property. This includes liability. I have not looked into any alternative policies yet but I hope it will not be so expensive that it alters my want to display at shows. It's sad that a person has to actually think about these what ifs, but it is an unfortunate fact of the world we live in.

Now I'm not an ins. expert nor do I play one on TV, I just wanted to share my recent information so others would know to check their policies to make sure they are covered in case of an accident.

Hope every show is fun and injury free.

• Like 2

953 nut

I have a one million dollar umbrella policy added to my home owner's policy that is an "all perils" coverage. The annual premium is about $120.

Please don't line up in front of my 953 at the "Big Show" hoping to collect!  :ychain:

• Like 6

KC9KAS
7 hours ago, achto said:

Like many others I enjoy going to shows to see other people's toys as well as show off my toys. At some of the local shows that I visit yearly they have started to require proof of insurance if you plan on using your garden tractor or what ever else you have as a means of transportation on the grounds. Now no one wants to think about their tractors getting damaged, but that risk I am willing to take. Doing bodily damage to someone on the other hand could haunt you for life, mentally and financially. Most shows that I go to have speed limits of 5mph or less, but accidents can still happen.

In the past my home owners ins. has been sufficient to cover any proof liability. After an ins. consultation I have now been informed that while I have full coverage on my tractors while they are on my property, there is no coverage after they leave my property. This includes liability. I have not looked into any alternative policies yet but I hope it will not be so expensive that it alters my want to display at shows. It's sad that a person has to actually think about these what ifs, but it is an unfortunate fact of the world we live in.

Now I'm not an ins. expert nor do I play one on TV, I just wanted to share my recent information so others would know to check their policies to make sure they are covered in case of an accident.

Hope every show is fun and injury free.

I have asked the same question in the past....Lots of comments but few conclusions.

MalMac

The sad thing to this is, you better check and cover your backside. It's the world we live in and if someone smells money by trying to bring some frivolous law suit there is a good chance they will. Now I know there are good people out there that say I would never do that or that won't happen to me. Well if some mother lets little Johnny jump up on your tractor at the  show and he falls off and gets hurt and lands on your sign that says please keep off. Good chance the mom is gonna go head hunting and lawyer searching. What was meant to be a innocent good time can lead to life changing event. It's sad but that's the way it is now. That's why a lot of events and shows have have been canceled all over the country because the cost of liability.  Sad state of affairs it is.

• Like 6

Coadster32

I also have an umbrella polocy. Most do not, and I see the liability factor here. Went thru this with snowmobiling in Vermont. Yahoo's cranking down the trail right at you, blind corners and all. Not good.

• Like 1

squonk

We see pics on here of kids on tractors. Some way to small to be operating anything. They are cute but an accident waiting to happen. someone says something and it's, "don't tell me how to raise my kids!" or "I started driving tractors when I was 3!" Times have changed. The Big Show can be perilous. Lots of kids "Ramming Around unsupervised from little up to teenage years. Almost saw an elderly couple get run over last year! One of these days it's gonna happen. I just hope it's after I'm too old to go to the show anymore because when it does, the show will be no more.

• Like 5

AMC RULES

:blink:  Note to self...    :ychain:

drive big circles around the sleeping Skonk. 

• Like 3

squonk

How about a barricade! :)

• Like 1

rmaynard

As long as I have been going to the big show, the staff members have always stressed the old adage "first accident means last show". I certainly don't want to be the one responsible for bringing the Wheel Horse show to an end. I'm not afraid to tell kids and some older guys to slow it down.  As far as I know, the WHCC is insured, but it does not cover individuals and their tractors or personal property. I don't have a special or separate policy on my tractors, but my homeowners policy with umbrella will cover me while away from home.

• Like 4

RedRanger

Just another insurance suggestion....

For those of you who have umbrella policies...Umbrella policies only kick in when there is a "covered" claim on an underlying policy.

IF your home insurance policy does not cover your tractors or their liability away from your home, there would be no umbrella coverage at a show.

Also-some home insurance policies will cover your tractors if you have one or two for "home maintenance", but not if you have a "collection".

Something to think about.

There are specialty insurance policies out there to cover your collections or tractors at shows.

• Like 3

Achto

Please check your umbrella policies. I too have an umbrella policy and was told that this covered my liability no matter where I was on the planet. This is true I am covered for any personal liability except when it involves "any motor or engine propelled vehicle or machine designed for movement on land." For that type of vehicle/machine (tractor) there is no coverage for physical damage or liability when the item is taken off the residence premises. 

It is very sad that we have to cover ourselves like this, but it is a fact of life. Just want people to check all the angles of their policy, it's much better to know before you need it.    

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Excellent topic and food for thought.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

I've been waiting for that huge wind storm to roll through the valley and rip up those canopy tents sending them flying into all those nicely painted horses...or lawn chairs.

• Like 2

RedRanger
2 hours ago, achto said:

Please check your umbrella policies. I too have an umbrella policy and was told that this covered my liability no matter where I was on the planet. This is true I am covered for any personal liability except when it involves "any motor or engine propelled vehicle or machine designed for movement on land." For that type of vehicle/machine (tractor) there is no coverage for physical damage or liability when the item is taken off the residence premises. 

It is very sad that we have to cover ourselves like this, but it is a fact of life. Just want people to check all the angles of their policy, it's much better to know before you need it.    

Exactly correct.  Most, if not all, home insurance policies are written this way.

Something happens on your own property, covered.  Take the tractor, golf cart, atv, go-cart, etc off your land and you have no coverage.

This includes while transporting.

This goes for damage to your tractor as well as any liability or medical injury to others.

If your home policy excludes coverage, your umbrella will not cover it either.

Umbrellas only cover what the underlying insurance policies cover.

Umbrella policies only kick in when the home or auto policy runs out of coverage.

If you've been told otherwise, get it in writing or it means nothing at the time of a claim.

Don't find out afterwards that you have no coverage when you thought you did.

For those of you that have a sizeable collection or valuable/rare tractor, talk to your insurance agent.  Most home insurance policies have exclusions or limitations for "collectibles"  and limit physical coverage to equipment used for home maintenance.

There are companies that offer antique tractor coverage, just like antique vehicles.  This would cover your tractors for damage as well as liability at shows, parades, etc.

Just speaking from my personal 20 years in the insurance industry.  I'm not providing legal advice, just friendly suggestions.

• Like 4

wallfish

The Zagray museum operated by the QVEA states on their membership application that the $20 membership dues also includes insurance.

http://www.qvea.org/resources/QVEA-Membership-Application.pdf

I do not know what that insurance covers but this strategy might be a good idea to address the situation at every show. It will certainly boost membership if they require EVERYONE who drives a tractor to be a member so they are covered with some sort of insurance. No membership, no drive tractor!

Personally, I would pay the extra amount for membership if it means I can drive a tractor plus the added benefit of being covered with insurance. Might have to display a tag or something so it's easier to police and enforce. I'm not sure if the coverage can cover the tractor or the person but either way something like this might be an answer.

• Like 4

Sparky
3 hours ago, wallfish said:

The Zagray museum operated by the QVEA states on their membership application that the $20 membership dues also includes insurance.

http://www.qvea.org/resources/QVEA-Membership-Application.pdf

I do not know what that insurance covers but this strategy might be a good idea to address the situation at every show. It will certainly boost membership if they require EVERYONE who drives a tractor to be a member so they are covered with some sort of insurance. No membership, no drive tractor!

Personally, I would pay the extra amount for membership if it means I can drive a tractor plus the added benefit of being covered with insurance. Might have to display a tag or something so it's easier to police and enforce. I'm not sure if the coverage can cover the tractor or the person but either way something like this might be an answer.

I didn't know that John.....are you a member of QVEA? I'm tempted to shell out $20 at the summer show. Does that also get you on the grounds free?

Mike......

wallfish

Not currently a member because mine lapsed from last year. I didn't renew but probably should have when we were there but I bought a $24 shirt instead.

Have no idea of the benefits of their membership but I do believe it gets you in for free if not displaying anything.

Your kind of close so a membership could be more beneficial if you're interested in participating in things other than attending the shows and getting involved with the "goings on" at the museum.  Of coarse time is always one obstacle for stuff like that until you retire. 

• Like 1

Sparky

Well I'm seriously considering signing up for a membership at the next Zag show.

Mike......

wallfish

Good! Seen You do some dangerous crap over there!!!!!!!:ychain:

mike at ZAG.jpg

• Like 5

squonk

No Helmet? :confusion-confused: :helmet:

• Like 1

AMC RULES

LOL...just noticed the seatbelt.  :laughing-rolling: