Huntemcd

Snowblower cable

Huntemcd

Does anyone know how to run the cable for the chute adjustment. Any pictures or info will help. I just picked it up today and needs a new cable. Or where could I get a tall chute. 

Ed Kennell

Page 4 has the cable installation instructions.           Your blower may not have the spool on the crank shaft.

BTW, I have used .085" dia string trimmer instead of the steel cable.

Edited by Ed Kennell

cleat

Really; I never though of that.

How does it hold up ?

Ed Kennell

I used it for two winters without any noticeable wear.   I now have a gear drive tall chute.

Huntemcd

Actually it does have the spool. i just thought of how it went after i posted this.  You wont believe what i paid for that blower.  Its complete except for the lift flag.

Where could I find a tall chute?

image.jpeg

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

:wwp:    Then we'll guess on the price...

Huntemcd

I posted a pic. It's in good shape. A few bends in the auger but nothing major. 

Do I need chains to blow? 

Ed Kennell

If you have any hills at all, I would recommend chains.    Wheel weights and filled tires really help also.   When you raise the blower, the tractors get light in the back.

It does look to be in good condition.  Has the housing been welded to the  right of the chute?

Huntemcd

I don't know. I'd have to look. I don't have any hills and I have 2 50 pound suitcase weights I could put on the rear. I could also put on duals. 

roadapples

Weights and chains both would be best and   :WRS:

Huntemcd

I'm plant on having my dads c121 on the blade with weights and chains and have my raider 8 with the blower and duals and weights. Chains r exspensive so I wanna wait and c if I actually need them

wallfish

The 8hp is going to be weak for snow blowing. At the very least you should probably remove the side wings. Swap the blower to the 12hp and push snow with the 8hp. You may even find a 12hp weak for blowing snow if you ever hook it up to a 16 or larger.

• Like 2

squonk

You'll do better without the duals. The tires will be wider than the path you're cutting. The snow will bog you right down.

• Like 4

Huntemcd

Well the auger is only 32" and 42" with the exstentions. And actually the way I have my duals it will b narrower than the path. 

My 8 horse should be ok. It just got rebuilt last fall. Idk I'll try it and see  

roadapples

One of the best things about this site is experience. These guys have already tried this stuff. They can save you a lot of time.. Just sayin`....:twocents-02cents:

• Like 2

857 horse
1 hour ago, roadapples said:

One of the best things about this site is experience. These guys have already tried this stuff. They can save you a lot of time.. Just sayin`....:twocents-02cents:

:text-yeahthat:yup..............what he said    :deadhorse:

• Like 1

Ed Kennell

Sometimes we have to learn by our own trial and error experiences.   Huntem may know something about his tractors that we don't.

I never used an 8 to blow snow, but the C-120 did a capable job in 8-10" snows.    

The 520 was unstoppable  though in this winters 32 incher.    I don't  think  an 8 or 12 would have been up to the task of chewing through the 4-5' drifts.

• Like 1

Huntemcd

Does anyone know where I could find a tall chute. I'm making an extension for mine but if I could find omit use b nicer. 

Ed Kennell

Craigs list or place an ad here in the wanted section.

Huntemcd

Ok. I made my lift flag and made an exstention for my chute. Ok so I have another question. The old 36" deck like what was on the b80 are those decks really loud because u can't grease the spindles. 

Huntemcd

My extension on my chute. I just have to paint it. I think it will help. 

image.jpeg

• Like 1

scifi4all

I actually used some old Green Clothesline plastic wrapped wire in an emergency.  Cable broke in the middle of a snowstorm!  Left it on until springtime!:handgestures-thumbupright:

cleat

Clothesline cable should be plenty strong enough as long as it was flexible enough to wrap around the crank handle.