19richie66

C-175 Sundstrand / Power steering question

19richie66

So I have a Sundstrand hydrostat from a C175 I put in my cruiser. It had the hydraulic deck/ lift cylinder/ valve assy also. If I desired to put power steering on this thing, could I use the lift cylinder for a steer cylinder? I have a 5 port rotary steer valve and was wondering if I could plumb it to the ports where the hoses came out of the pump? (where the red circle is)? I have searched but only found info on the Eaton and it was vague. Thanks in advance, Richie

hydroports.jpg

• Like 2

953 nut

Can't see why it couldn't be done, just as good as any other two way cylinder. You may have to experiment with Pittman arm length and play with bypass pressure to make sure it is a smooth movement.

• Like 1

19richie66

Ive been reading Kelly's thread about his diesel C195 with power steering but its an eaton so its a hair different. I could run a small GM power steering pump off the motor but I have those ports there already. Guess I'll dig through the sundstrand manual a little more.

953 nut
11 hours ago, 19richie66 said:

5 port rotary steer valve

What did the valve come from? If pressures are the same as the Sundstrand it should be fine.

19richie66

It's still on my JD gt345. I don't think it will make it through another mowing season. If not, the power steering is going on my cruiser or the 418-A. Just was wondering about the sundstrand. Manual says 500-700 psi for the pump and the rotary valve is good for 1500-1800 psi. I think it would work. Found the port layout on both. Just a matter of mounting all the parts.

otrelwood

my air horse articulates with twin cylinders a little longer than the lift cylinder and runs off a sunstrand pump works fine

82Caddy

I have a 5 port JD column in a d series (also sundstrand) and it works without issue. Keep engine rpms up and it works great.  Tractor has a loader on it so steering is a bit difficult anyhow. 

• Like 1

19richie66

Thanks guys!

clueless

Rich, ask your blue R2 unit, it could crunch the numbers and tell you what you need:rolleyes:. Happy birthday, and hang in there Friday. Chris.

19richie66

Thanks Chris! Should be good. A project for another day.

smoreau

Not a issue at all. I have the same steering from a JDJthat will some day make it on my loader tractor. Double flared brake line with the correct nuts will work fine for pluming the bottom of the valve accept for the cylinder lines. Also the stock cylinder is a little short on stroke to do the power steering for my forward swept front axle, never tried it anything else.

19richie66

If I do it, I will use the JD axle and hubs with the cylinder and all. Ill keep the measurements close to whats on the deere. Other than making a cylinder mount and hoses, should be good.

• Like 1