popcat

my new to me 310-8

popcat

I was very happy to find a forum on these tractors and I'm hoping to find a lot of useful information, thanks to all who are involved in providing this forum.

I came across an old fellow who is downsizing and wanted to sell his lawn tractor. When I asked him what it was he replied it's an ole Wheel Horse I bought new back in the 80's.

It's a 310-8 and looks and runs great. The Kohler smokes a bit at startup but quickly burns that off without a hint of smoke in a minute or two.

Anyway, I brought it home and going over it. 

The front tires need replacing and so does the brake shoe and so far that's really all it needs. The seat is a splitting at the seams but it'sOK, I didn't see a fuel filter in line so I'll be adding that and a new air filter..if I can find one.

So,

I've been looking all night for a shop manual on here, the PO had a basic user manual but what I'm wanting is one with a parts list. For the life of me I can't find it on here. He told me it's a 1985 model(?).

IF anyone can direct me or provide a link I sure would appreciate it. THANK YOU!

ID# 2110K805 28863

Kohler M10S 10hp

Spec 461521

Serial 173(may be an 8)2106433

Edited by popcat
  • Like 1

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Not the best parts list but all we have

There is not a service manual for the tractor but there are service notes through out the parts lists.

This old service manual for the C-Series which became the 300-Series has info that still applies.

The wiring for most models, engines and transmissions have their own manuals.

Garry

• Like 2

KC9KAS

:WRS:

Just about every WH I have bought had a "cracked" seat!

• Like 1

AMC RULES

• Like 1

muz123

Welcome! 

• Like 1

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti:

• Like 1

JPWH

• Like 1

Pollack Pete

Go to Partstree.com    Find Toro on the first page,then scroll down to lawn and garden tractors.Put in your model number.You'll have your illustrated parts list.Have fun with your new toy and welcome.

• Like 2

Tankman
1 hour ago, KC9KAS said:

Just about every WH I have bought had a "cracked" seat!

Same here, the Horses come with cracked seats.

'Bout a mile from me, Tractor Supply stocks seats, usually on-the-shelf.

Good luck with your new Stallion!

• Like 1

popcat

Thank you all for the welcomes and Garry for the info.

Am I going to find out that parts are going to be hard find? Hopefully I won't need many anyway.

TSC is pretty close so that will be my first stop.. then off to my closest Toro dealer.

They sure don't make them like they use to,  this tractor is built like a tank.

TDF5G

For new parts;

https://www.rcpw.com/

https://www.partstree.com/parts/

You can find parts on eBay too. 

Sometimes I just type in the part no. and description in google and track down things that way also.

Some items are reasonably priced but the shipping will be expensive on some, especially small items, so keep that in mind when shopping.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

When you enter your model number  21-10K805 with a dash at Partstree the same parts list will come up. Just be careful selecting parts because it includes the 308, 310, 312, 314 and 316 or 416. Look down each parts list for the same item number as each will have a different part number but fails to identify what model uses what part.

https://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/mowers-lawn-garden-tractor/21-10k805-310-8-toro-310-8-garden-tractor-1988/

Each page you look at will come up priced if Toro still carries the part. You may have a local dealer you can support.

Garry

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

Welcome to Red Square . You can pick up the gas line at local auto parts store. I always get 8 to 10 feet at a time. You can pick up gas filter at auto parts store. I have found air filter ( Kohler branded at Lowes). Have fun with your horse.

• Like 1

popcat

I made it to TSC and got me some tires and tubes. What a fun job of changing them was.

I was going to repaint the rims but I'll save that project for a later date. TSC had everything else too except the brake band. Looks like Partstree has that part.

Gorilla tape is going to fix the seat for now.

I'm ready to mow and will put it to the rest here shortly.

Here's a pic,

14623162052431886180832.jpg

• Like 8

popcat

The first mowing went well.

2nd is a little slow and 3rds a little fast but Ive never found one that's geared perfect for me.

Very cool mowing vintage style.

Looks like it would be best to replace the whole fuel line. Where I added the filter it's sweating fuel but not dripping.

Also checked out the brake band, a simple adjustment is going to fix that so that will save about $85.

There looks to be a attached add-on bracket for something. I don't know, two brackets, one each side.

14623232935911267883697.jpg

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

That is the rear bracket to attach a dozer blade, tiller, and possibly more.

• Like 4

popcat

Finished up my lot this evening.

My only two gripes are 2nd gear is too slow and 3rd is too fast.

I tried to throttle down in 3rd but felt the blades should run faster.

The other is I'd like to make a mulch cover and maybe add some gator blades, that one is fixable.

Why are these tractors geared really low for there size?

Something else I need to look into is having the deck raise higher when locked in top position...if possible.

elcamino/wheelhorse

Do you have the range selector in high range? I have a 310-8 that I run in 1st gear in high range and it moves fast enough for me on my very hilly lot.

2nd gear high range really moves.

• Like 1

popcat

Yes, it just creeps in low 1,2 just a bit faster in low 3.

In high 1 its low speed, 2 theres a little more speed but 3 is like overdrive.

Could there be something thats not quite right?

Retired Wrencher

popcat  :WRS: Lot good people here with help. Enjoy.

Wheelie again

Welcome popcat to this amazing forum you will love it here everyone is nice and helpful. Your 310 looks to be a great find I'm excited for you. With the speed issues I also just acquired a 310 and I understand what you are saying about the gear speeds my 312 mows almost perfect in 2 hi with a 48 inch deck but my 310 with a 37 inch deck doesn't like 2nd hi I just figure every tractor has it's own personality. I will say this though you will love that tractor I have 3 turn key horses right now a 310, 312, and a 314 and I find myself on the 310 more than the others don't know why just the perfect package I guess

• Like 1

rick

My first WH is a 310-8, an '89 Model. You will enjoy your WH!