jcp0420

A new project followed me home....

jcp0420

Well....after starting my last project, The Raider Rat, I decided to grab another project to tinker with.

It's a 1969 Wheel Horse Charger 12 Automatic Drive. Came with a 42" mid mount deck as well!  Found it in the same town that I am currently living in.  They also had a Raider 12....which I tried to get but I was too late at the time.

This one will be either a resto mod or keeping it completely original.  I'm not against fixing it then flipping it for money to put in my Raider either.

It does run and drive.  The hydrostat lever needs adjusted as it creeps forward once you release the clutch.  A few odds and ends need to be done but it's a great unit so far.  The deck needs a new spindle and pulley so I'm hoping I can find those easily.  I would like to do the normal full service on it also.  As always...on to the pics!!

IMG_20160501_154048183_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160501_154020483.jpg

IMG_20160501_151238325.jpg

IMG_20160501_151229909.jpg

IMG_20160501_151215090.jpg

IMG_20160501_151203824.jpg

IMG_20160501_151152062.jpg

• Like 6

elcamino/wheelhorse

That looks in pretty good shape. Good luck on your find.

• Like 1

russellmc301

nice looking, some cleaning would make it look like a charm.:text-coolphotos:

Edited by russellmc301
  • Like 1

jcp0420
59 minutes ago, russellmc301 said:

nice looking, some cleaning would make it look like a charm.:text-coolphotos:

What would you recommend as a cleaner, without damaging the paint?  Could I wax it or just do a small detail with spray wax?

RedRanger
8 hours ago, jcp0420 said:

What would you recommend as a cleaner, without damaging the paint?  Could I wax it or just do a small detail with spray wax?

I usually start by cleaning the greasy areas with spray on Engine Gunk and rinse.  Follow directions on the can.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gunk-Original-Engine-Degreaser-15-oz/16816129

Then pressure washer (if you have one).  (Can also trailer it to a self service car wash which works well.)

Then a good dish soap and water bath.  Dawn works well.  Dish soap will remove the remaining dirt, wax, and oily residue.

Dry it.

Polish with a good cleaner wax.  http://www.walmart.com/ip/41262071?wmlspartner=wlpa&adid=22222222227028907817&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=61835938929&wl4=&wl5=pla&wl6=98360455209&veh=sem

Spray wax won't do anything but give you shiney faded paint.

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 1

jcp0420

Thank you @RedRanger!!  Would using a medium rubbing compound and buffing wheel damage the paint at all? I have a lot of detailing products and detail all of the farm equipment, but not used to the older paint such as whats on this charger 12.

C-101plowerpower
9 hours ago, jcp0420 said:

Thank you @RedRanger!!  Would using a medium rubbing compound and buffing wheel damage the paint at all? I have a lot of detailing products and detail all of the farm equipment, but not used to the older paint such as whats on this charger 12.

try it on a bit that can't be seen, like the underside of the fenders

• Like 2

RedRanger

Rubbing compound with a buffer will work fine as long as you don't work it too long.  That's how I did my 867.

I used a rubbing compound followed by a glazing polish.

Just pay attention to how much your rubbing.

If you've done it before, you're fine.

Wheel Horse laid the paint on pretty thick, but there is no primer and it is single stage.

This is a rubbing compound and polish.

Don't polish the decals.  I found out the hard way.

Sydney 867b.jpg041.jpg

• Like 4

jcp0420

@RedRanger is that the original paint?  I will be detailing it this weekend once I'm off work Saturday!

RedRanger
5 hours ago, jcp0420 said:

@RedRanger is that the original paint?  I will be detailing it this weekend once I'm off work Saturday!

On the tractor, yes.  Degreased and polished.

The deck is a restoration though.

The tractor looked like yours when I brought it home.

There's good color under that faded/chalky top layer.  I cringe at some of the guys repainting when it is not needed.

Edited by RedRanger
  • Like 2

jcp0420

Sorry I haven't updated.  I haven't even touched the Charger  since I brought it home. I've been swamped at work and had surgery Thursday.  But I'm young and a small surgery won't keep me from doing some work haha!  

Going to wash it up and wax it in the morning and also adjust the hydrostat lever if I have time.

AMC RULES

:wwp::text-coolphotos:

• Like 1

jcp0420

Hey guys!  Going to start this project back up.  I finally found a garage I can use til winter hits. But by then I'm hoping to have everything done that needs to be done.  Sorry I haven't been around.  But anyways! On to some pics I snapped today. 

Started messing with the deck.  If anyone knows where I can get a new center pulley and idler pulley, please point me in the right direction!  And bearings....I'm just going to rebuild the spindles but I'm not quite sure where to get bearings either.  I may or may not also repaint the deck. Haven't made up my mind quite yet. 

And the first picture is my niece and nephew enjoying the Charger.  They love driving it around lol. 

IMG_20160719_185118916.jpg

IMG_20160719_184843548.jpg

IMG_20160719_182755269.jpg

IMG_20160719_182742522.jpg

• Like 2