Fun Engineer

Enclosed trailer flooring options

COWBOY1296
6 minutes ago, Fun Engineer said:

Thanks, i think that this is the way to go.

WHX??

Hey Cowboy :WRS:

I see Dave has chimed in already.

I too have been cursed with the inheritance of my Dad's flat feet so I hear ya there. Note What I do for camping with the carpet remnant  on the floor. When it's time to load up just role it up and bungee it up on the side.

25 minutes ago, COWBOY1296 said:

clean up time is the floor easy to sweep and mop

I just clear mine out and go at it with the pressure washer.

Thanks for bring up this thread ...it's a reminder for me to get working on it again!

• Like 1

classicdmax

I don't have an enclosed trailer that I use as mentioned, but interlocking carpet tiles came to mind, at least for the camping end of the trailer usage. They can easily be installed, removed for cleaning and/or horse transport. I do believe they have other materials to offer as well just an idea

check them out

https://www.flooringinc.com/

I am also just realizing the age of original post....sorry I'm a bit late to the party!

• Like 2

Fun Engineer

Forgot to mention that I do the same as WX11 when I camp. Bought a 8'x6' piece of carpet from HD that I roll up when not in use. 

Digger 66

Polyurethane liquid rolled on and sprinkled with sand .

Edited by Digger 66

COWBOY1296

When i called sales at monstaliner i got  a gurl on the phone who had the attitude that she could care less about talking to  me.  I sent them an email a couple of days back and they have yet to respond.  Not good customer service although i think that i still want their product.  Did you go through this same routine?

Fun Engineer

I did have problems with email responses. I'd suggest calling back to talk to a different customer service representative. I agree that their customer service could be better. 

Edited by Fun Engineer

Fun Engineer

Cowboy1296 and others 

I gave out some wrong information. I purchased the Two Gallon kit (ML90RK2G) for my trailer floor not the one gallon kit. Sorry. 

• Like 1

Aldon

Well, I bit the bullet and bought a dedicated horse hauler. I have not seen it mentioned in this thread so I'll tag my experience in on this for others to compare. I am planning on using U-POL Raptor. I'll post up pics of before and after but for now, just the trailer as noted in the WIMM "what's in my mirror" threadIMG_0833.JPG.6f797c348e205e26e40c2b63b5e27008.JPGIMG_0835.JPG.e0487e476cdd0553b3626416e1f1cd80.JPG.

• Like 7

Fun Engineer

Now that's a trailer Aldon. What are the dimensions?  

I've been using mine for hauling furniture and other things acquired over 40 years to a storage unit while our house is finished. The Monstaliner is holding up well. Look forward to hearing about your U-POL experience. 

• Like 1

Aldon

Thanks.

Its 7x17. Aluminum so I can add a couple more tractors to payload. Until or if I can upgrade from 1500 to a 2500 pickup at some point.

WHX??

? Aldon I don't  think I have ever heard of a 17 footer? Just 14 or 16 or larger to 18/20? Did you special order or off the lot? Maybe I just wasn't looking but as in this thread Im thinkin maybe I should have went to 16 like Tom. While I can get four full size tractors in it or more smaller round hoods the extra space might have been nice. What axles are under it? My 14 has two 3 K's which will handle more than anything I  can throw at it. You might have mentioned it but what make? Like you I'm looking for a heavy 2500 truck as I'm long over due. Mine is all AL as well but after only one year save for that rustle to MN for a tractor in the salt is holding up ok. Cheap  plating on the wheel hub covers and lug nuts aren't doing well tho.

20170507_134552.jpg

Ticks me off but my complaints fall on deaf ears.

Edited by WHX11
  • Like 3

WHX??

Might be an interesting  conversation about AL versus steel and payload capacities

Aldon

It's a Ez Hauler.

Aluma or Alco in Maine makes them for 3-4 trailer companies who brand them but all made at same locale. EDIT (Actually it is manufactured by "ALCOM ")

17 seems to be popular these days. At least out this way. With the blunted vnose it adds another foot or so. So you could get away with saying it's 18 but it's a stretch. 

All metal, aluminum, chrome and most stainless is attacked by the chemicals they use these days.

i plan to undercoat the underside but also plan to use a protectant wax on the exposed aluminum. See pic. It gets pretty good reviews.

If the dealer had had spares of those upgraded wheels like yours I'd likely have bought that upgrade. Mine are powder coated steel with bearing buddies. So they should be ok in the salt/snow at least for a while.

IMG_0840.PNG.1b304af69dd46b54025c19788d9dd5ce.PNG

11 hours ago, WHX11 said:

Might be an interesting  conversation about AL versus steel and payload capacities

It is not a case for aluminum vs steel in my case. Ultimately it might be but in my case with a 1500 my truck hits its recommend limit well before either designed trailer's max. As such, a 1000 pounds lighter trailer means 1000 pounds of more tractor and parts I can haul.

Also. Axles as spring 3500's 

And I would note that it is what I deem my 2006 tired 1500's limit is. Ordinarily  new fresh 1500 may haul it at max load....

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 2

classicdmax

Your 1/2ton should be good for 8-10k depending on gearing assuming it has the 5.3l

i just putchased an all aluminum trailer trailer made by proline trailers in NH. Nicest trailer I've ever seen. It's not a horse hauler though for I'm a contractor and it be used for such. Anyhow I had asked the dealer when picking it up about treating the underside and they indicated it not being necessary. Whether or not that true, but they and I are in the snow/salt belt. If I were to treat the underside I'd likely use Fluid Film.

sorry no pics of trailer 

Edited by classicdmax

Aldon

I'm uncomfortable pushing the absolute maximum with a vehicle nearing 150k miles even though I try to keep up with maintenance. For instance I proactively changed out all front brake lines but have not yet done that on rear. They may be fine but I don't want to break pushing maximums.

From several sources the amounts for my vehicle runs from 7,700-8,700

IMG_0841.PNG.9b34f4a1eb5ad021e3cc65d8560f83e3.PNG

So I feel this one allows me to haul several round hoods or what have you comfortably.

• Like 2

JPWH

I have a 2000 1500 Silverado with a little over 264,000 that I pull an 18' flatbed and a 30' RV.

• Like 1

Aldon

So I got some free labor this week. My son and his fiancé visited. So wash and wax and then I prepped the interior. Dealer Binder followed by white on the walls and this morning I sprayed Upol Raptor on the floor and ~ 7.5 inches up the sides. For anyone considering this particular product, I bought 8 quarts. Mixed in just shy of 1/2 cup of sand for texture in each quart. It's a bit thin in a couple spots so the ideal for this size trailer would be 9 quarts and 10 would allow pretty thick coat. Also, it calls for complete cleaning of the sprayer with Acetone after each quart. I found this to be necessary. Texture is great. Time will tell if it will hold up but I believe it will be very durable. The sealer/binder coat is a necessity.

IMG_0905.JPG.00cf64111f2abdef56cedfbac8281a79.JPGIMG_0916.JPG.c9855cd71a84cf8ea3f222b3b818b3a7.JPGIMG_0909.JPG.d49bcba315e27a8ba425afdb56c26709.JPGIMG_0910.JPG.a218bc9751230a33496e52c2a27b33c9.JPGIMG_0911.JPG.4a02be927649b2a15a561e1626debb9b.JPG

IMG_0912.JPG.2fb36c3b19dbcfa00f2c4133fac27e43.JPG

IMG_0907.JPG

• Like 6

elcamino/wheelhorse

Looking good now all you need is a sleeping bag, porta john ,and sink for those days when you screw up so bad that sleeping on the sofa is not allowed.:ROTF: 

• Like 3

Wheelhorsestory

I want to tell you about an amazing product that very few people know about, since it isn't widely publicized for trailers anymore. It is called BED RUG.  It looks just like indoor/outdoor carpet, but it is actually made our of plastic fibers. You can wash it and water will not go through it. You can also vacuum or sweep it. It is resistant to fuel and oil.  Today they only make molded pickup truck molded bed rugs, but if you call them, they will sell you off the roll. It comes six feet wide with a minimum order of ten feet in length. I just did my trailer this year and I absolutely love it. I use my trailer to haul tractors, sleep at the show, haul mulch, dirt, furniture,etc.  It cleans like new each time you hose it down. I even did the ramp door because it repels water, has great traction, and is super durable. You mount it with a spray adhesive available from them or Home Depot. They also have aluminum covers for edging if needed. I went half way up my walls as well as the floor.  It is a dark gray/black color. I believe it costs about $10 a linear foot. Here is a link.     http://www.bedrug.com/products/bed-mats.html?gclid=Cj0KEQjw-ezKBRCGwqyK0rHzmvkBEiQAu-_-LCqJprtgdt3myQH_gpXnkHTR3i8xoxhTPWIrdv_0BWcaAsGc8P8HAQ

You won't be disappointed!

Edited by Wheelhorsestory
Insert Video
  • Like 4

JPWH

The trailer looks good Aldon.

• Like 1