Gadget

520H 1996 Onan 220 Governor Adjustments RPM

Gadget

This is a question in two parts

Part 1: What is the recommended RPM for operation of the Onan 220? I know that sounds obvious, to many of you but not to me, and I know it depends upon what attachment you are using and what the load is.

Here's where I'm at: Throttle all the way up, I max out at about 3200, then it creeps back to around 3000. almost all I do is mow with th 48" deck, Seems that a higher RPM will give a cleaner cut, when I really push the throttle up, and hold it in position I can get it to about 3500 but I have to keep my hand on it or it will creep back. I fiddled a little with the linkage and then I stopped thinking that the governor needed to be properly set. 

Part 2: I am not lazy, I did a search on this and couldn't get the answer, If it is already posted somewhere, just say so. One of the things I like about you guys is that you don't pounce on us for asking questions that may have been answered somewhere else already. I belong to an auto motive form and those guys are ruthless, you are not. Back to the question. I can find and have downloaded just about every manual I can find that applies to this machine and I cannot a "Repair" manual for the tractor. I can find service manuals but nothing that is step by step repair like a shop manual would. I am missing something?

Part 3: Lacking anything else, can someone at least tell me if I need to make adjustments to the governor and if so tell me how I can find out how to do it?

I thought I had CLEANED and degunked everything until I started reading more closely the posts and photos about chaff building up behind the flywheel and blocking airflow to the rear cylinder. Even though I could do a visual with a flashlight and it looked clean, I though I better check anyway. I took the "tin" off and everything was surprisingly clean so I decided not to push my luck and bolted it back together. At least now I know its moving air as it should. Thanks for the info on that.

I have attacked a picture or two of that process and a (not so good) view of the throttle governor linkages.

Thanks!

IMAG0704.jpg

IMAG0714.jpg

IMAG0713.jpg

WNYPCRepair

If you do a search for "throttle rivet" here, you will find a ton of posts on it, here is one. I would check this first.

• Like 1

Dale520H

I've got the same problem with mine, I'm going after it today after breakfast and the treadmill.

wallfish

Download this document and click on "specifications" pg2-1   RPM should be set at 3600

Probably not a governor issue but like the others posted, most likely a problem the throttle lever having enough friction to hold tension against the governor spring.

• Like 2