whbush

1990 Wheel Horse 520H Questions

whbush

Hi guys,

I am looking at a 1990 Wheel Horse 520H and have a few questions about this year and model.

1) Does this have the pressurized oil system? I know there are problems with non-pressurized systems mowing on grades or hillside. 

2) If I want to replace the 60" deck, do you also need to change the mule drive? I thought I have read it would need to be changed with a different size deck.

3) Has anyone heard of the hour meter ticking while the tractor is parked? I was told it has high hours because the ignition was left on. 

Any additional information on this model and year is helpful. The tractor is built like a tank. I am more so worried about the 20HP Onan and Hydro. 

Thanks!

• Like 1

ericj

yeas all of the P series onan's had pressurized  oil systems, you are thinking of the KT17 hp kohlers that had problems on hills. yes you need to change mule drives to go from the 60" deck to any other wheel horse deck. that's how i tell if the hour meter works, when you turn the key on and back off again and listen for the tick, tick. onan's are great motors, just require a little more maintenance then some others. pull the engine tins and clean the block fins and make sure that you clean the oil filter area real good when you pull the filter off. good luck, all and buy the way i only have 6 520's

eric j  

• Like 2

whbush

ericj,

6 520's!?!? Is that all?

Would you want to sell me one? I'm up here in the Reading, PA area. 

• Like 1

DougC

I only have 2 520H at the moment. A 95 with 1,050 hours and an 88 with 1,360 hours. They both have strong Onan 20hp engines and the hydros still work like they're new.  In my humble opinion they will both out live me and possibly my children who will inherit them if they are taken care of properly....:lol:

ericj
59 minutes ago, whbush said:

ericj,

6 520's!?!? Is that all?

Would you want to sell me one? I'm up here in the Reading, PA area. 

no I don't think I'm ready to sell any right now,..... but if you really want one you could call Dales mower service in kempton. He has several and some real nice ones at that. 610-756-6453 give him a call r stop over some time

ps I didn't count the non-running and parts tractors

eric j

Edited by ericj

cleat

You could use a 60" mule on any deck and I would love them on all of mine due to the spring loaded idler that keeps a nice even tension on the belt at all times.

Using a 60" mule with a smaller deck would just mean you have a spring loaded idler keeping the belt tight, no problem.

• Like 1

cheesegrader

How about some pictures?

We love pics!

I only have four 520's, so I am in the novice end of this pool.

Great tractors, just keep up with the maintenance.

Keep the cooling fins clean, vent the belt guard to help the rear cylinder cool.

Check your valve clearance and decarb the heads every 500 hours.

The '90 has the swept axle, but no gear-reduction steering.  Not a big deal unless you are working a loader or 2-stage thrower.

I'm in the market for a spring loaded mule for a 60" deck.

If you don't want the spring loaded mule, or would rather swap it for a regular mule drive, let me know.

cleat

My 520HC has the swept axle without reduction steering and it is great for mowing and snow plow use.

Phatboy

I got both gear reduction and swept axel,, two options that are really nice,,

Tankman

My '90 520-8 Onan runs great. Swept forward axle.

I like the idea of the tension mule drive although only have a 48" SD deck. I'm going to keep my eyes open for the mule drive. Thanks cleat.  :handgestures-thumbupright: