Docwheelhorse

Deck sheet metal repair question....

Tankman

Clean, MIG weld patches to both cover the holes and reinforce the deck.

Yes, those holes are bigger than "pin holes".

I've patched a few, same or worse than yours. Patches then paint.

Now, care for the deck. Not like the PO.  :handgestures-thumbupright:

Derek M

Lol it is surprising what you can do stuff.  

I agree cleat, nothing better than welding . Aways think about the Safety factors involved in the get me by fix . Come next year when under the fix has weakened and a rock from the driveway  bust through and  hits the dog in the head . Then while setting on the tractor you remember your dog  died years ago and you see the dog stagger across the street and fall dead as a small kid falls on the dog crying. Ok nothing but welding will do i vote save your money and weld it. I can't  be responsible for such a tragedy. 

WNYPCRepair
On April 28, 2016 at 11:36 AM, Docwheelhorse said:

Pics as requested............ 

NCM_2847.JPG

I had a deck with holes in both rear corners just like that. Took some pieces of the thickest steel Home Depot sells (16 ga?) and cut strips about 6" wide. Clamped them to the sloped back part, used a ball peen hammer to force it to bend at the top, then cut the end at an angle and kept using clamps and the ball peen to form it to fit all the way in the corner, then welded it. Did the same on the side, then put a weld down the corner where the two pieces met. Unfortunately, after all that, I found out what new spindles cost and gave up on that deck

Docwheelhorse
On ‎4‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 9:48 PM, Derek M said:

Lol it is surprising what you can do stuff.  

I agree cleat, nothing better than welding . Aways think about the Safety factors involved in the get me by fix . Come next year when under the fix has weakened and a rock from the driveway  bust through and  hits the dog in the head . Then while setting on the tractor you remember your dog  died years ago and you see the dog stagger across the street and fall dead as a small kid falls on the dog crying. Ok nothing but welding will do i vote save your money and weld it. I can't  be responsible for such a tragedy. 

Um Ok..... maybe we should put a 1/4 plate steel plate over the DISHCHARGE.... because nothing comes flying out of the deck that way that  that could kill he dog right? There is no safety involved in this repair... What about a rear discharge with a 42" opening---probably should ban those outright for safety. :rolleyes:

I'm going on a safety kick.... Snow Throwers are banned too. :huh:

Tony 

Edited by Docwheelhorse

Derek M

Lol sounds like someone took that serious maybe. Didn't think anyone would . Thought it might give someone  a laugh or two. 

jeff lary

I too vote mig weld but even mig is going to be very hard to do. The " pin holes" will be as big as half dollars in places as soon as you get grinding on it. With Mig your surface should be very very clean. I would consider finding a new deck some place I think my old dealer told me a replacement 37" deck for my 3-12-8 was like $ 300 +/- last year. I was just asking for the hell of it. the deck comes as a shell nothing but the deck shell so trying to fix yours is a no brainer I guess as long as you have the time and a mig. If you had to hire it done ,...look for a replacement I guess.