Gadget

Ebay Rear Mounted (Drawbar) trailer hitch?

Gadget

I have a 520H and need to mount a hitch to move a boat and trailer (approx 2000 lbs) No problem moving it with my old 244. I don't weld, so I am faced with looking into available ready made options. I have looked through RS pretty well and not found a solution. There are some vendor/members that have GREAT looking high quality stuff I just haven't seen one where the ball ends up high enough to suit my needs.

I came across this on Ebay and wondered if anyone would care to give me an opinion.

I see many different hitch arrangements that work with the drawbar but I don't understand what keeps the whole hitch unit from tilling forward and rearward as you reverse with a load.

Am I just missing the point? I had someone weld a plate on my 244 so its locked in position but I just don't get how the "floating" drawbar hitch works. Does this depend on the "tabs" that rest against the back of the gearcase to act as "stops"?

Thanks in advance

Todd

http://www.ebay.com/itm/WHEEL-HORSE-TORO-TRACTOR-2X2-RECEIVER-DRAW-BAR-HITCH-/131490569793?hash=item1e9d72de41:m:mgwEns7BW38voxxm9PLGCEg

• Like 1

ol550

The $bay picture showes the reciever hitch bolted to the drawbar not the slot hitch.  There will most likely be some movement as most of

the drawbars are somewhat loose in their mounting.  Looks like the only weakness in the setup would be the tractors drawbar.

rmaynard

If you want a real hitch receiver for your horse, we have a vendor that makes a great, heavy duty one.

• Like 3

Ed Kennell

You are correct.  The vertical tabs limit the amount of movement of the drawbar.    There are many front and rear mounted hitch builds on the forum.  One member builds axle mounted receiver hitches for sale.    I don't know his name, but I am sure someone will post it for you.  I see Bob posted it for you.

There are some concerns about the risk of the drawbar hitch cracking the bottom of the tranny case when a heavy weight box is put on the drawbar.       I don't  think this would be a problem with a 2000 lb  boat that  probably only has a tongue  weight of around 200lb and would only be used for short periods of time.

You could wedge a piece of steel or even plywood between the hitch and the bottom of the tranny case.  this would spread the load and also stop the unwanted movement of the hitch ball that you are concerned about.

Edited by Ed Kennell
  • Like 2

Gadget

Thanks, I saw the posts about the member who builds hitches. I posted in that section. If he can get one to me soon, I am going to do that.

Thanks again.

• Like 1

Daddy Don

Make sure what kind of pressure you are putting on the rear end case. You don't want to crack it.

WVHillbilly520H

I honestly believe Wheelhorseman1000 has the best rear receiver hitch setup (I don't personally have one but looks the part from what see and read here) for our lil red tractors but as most have stated in other threads on our forum it'll handle just about everything we throw on it or tow with it ,with the exception of a light front end where you'll need some ballast weight out front like my front weight hanger bracket(I don't make these to sell but I have thread with blueprint to have 1 fabbed up) hope this helps on your endeavors,Jeff.

IMAG1935.jpg

IMAG1937.jpg

can whlvr
  1. I would go with the 2 inch receiver on the rear,then if its not high enough you can purchase a riser hitch that slides into the receiver
  2. 20160214_182315.jpg

Gadget

Thanks to all,

I ordered a hitch from one of our member/vendors.

Had a great conversation with the man. First person from RS that I have spoken with in person (well at least by phone) and he is passionate about tractors.

Thanks also for posting the photos, now I know what a proper front weight system looks like.

Here is a photo of the hitch I built for my 244, and it moves the boat and trailer very well. It does get a little light in the front end, but I think leaving the deck on helps a bit for the counter-weighting.

I will have to add a riser to the one Tom is building but no big deal, I have some different receiver and hitch parts around here.  

244 rear .jpg

can whlvr

you  will be happy with the hitch,and then the skys the limit to what you slide into the hitch,i have several different things,like a weight bar,implement lift,

20160220_163108.jpg

20141226_154518.jpg

shallowwatersailor

Here is my C-105 being used to pull my log splitter. It has Scott's/Tom's 2" receiver hitch mounted being used with a HF 6" Drop Ball Mount Hitch, actually giving a 6" rise. I find the receiver hitch to be very useful as I can tow equipment, use my HF crane, pull my Cyclone Rake using a solid mount instead of their rinky dink solution for a WH, and attach a 2,500 pound winch.

DSCF8340.JPG

• Like 2

rokon

you will be very happy with your hitch receiver from tom.