chuck NJ

How to adjust mower deck 211-4 tractor

chuck NJ

Right side of the mower deck is about 1.5 inches lower than the left side. For the life of me, i cannot find what i am to adjust to level the deck.  I called the manufacturer (never do that again) looked at available manuals but this machine is not listed. I looked at you-tube but my machine is not discussed.  The back of the deck rests on two hooks and the front locks in place with spring pins. Two blades that are even, tire pressure same but i am half blind which hinders my observation. If anyone has a clue i would be grateful... chuck nj

Wheel Horse 211-4 Tractor  Mower
Model #: 32-11B402
32-11B402 ..... 1988 ..... 211-4 Tractor 4 speed
Engine:  Briggs&Stratton  11hp  Model: 252707  Type: 0624-01  Code: 87091611

Oil:  SAE 10w-40

Deck belt (for mower blades): 4L760W,   Line: NBH

gwest_ca

Welcome to the forum.

Here are the manuals for the two decks listed for your tractor.

Tractor operator manual

Some tractor service information in the illustrated parts list

Garry

• Like 1

chuck NJ

Thanks Gary... i have seen this pdf earlier (Mower Rotary 36in RD 1987-89 35-36RL01 OM #810481R1.pdf) but was not able to understand the location referenced in FIG 15 (image not discernible to me) on page 5. I cannot tell where the "left front attaching bolt" and "side-to-side adjustment bolt (one on each side)"... is located on the actual deck i have.  At least i presume at this pointy that i do not use a rod that inserts through an access hole on the tractor frame. I went under the tractor again but cannot positively ID these bolts on top of the deck or bottom of the tractor frame. There are no such bolts on the tractor frame where you would rest your feet.  I do have 2 hooks (one on each side) holding up the back of the mower deck.

Thank-you for your time... if my eyes were better (glaucoma) i may be able to recognize some thing under that tractor that does the job.

level deck.jpg

gwest_ca

I apologize for the poor quality of these pages.

Here is a service bulletin on the subject but for a year later. Perhaps something in it will help if you can make it out.

Garry

chuck NJ

this is no help.  i need a clear image or diagram with an arrow pinpointing the location. I understand you only have what is available, which i appreciate  very much, thank-you Maybe i can remove the deck and take pictures and hoist the tractor up on its back feet and take pictures, post the images and hope someone and Photoshop and indicator (arrow or circle)?

thanks again, Gary

btw i did ask local small engine repair who had no clue  :(

gwest_ca

I apologize for the poor quality of these pages.

Here is a service bulletin on the subject but for a year later. Perhaps something in it will help if you can make it out.

Garry

Found a later again manual and this shows the bolts in the side panels above the footrest I think. Slightly better quality.

Sorry I'm not much help. Never seen one of these models.

Garry

N3PUY

The deck hangs on 2 springs.  Could one of them be broken?

IMG_0497 (800x600).jpg

IMG_0498 (800x600).jpg

Edited by N3PUY
added other side pic
  • Like 1

chuck NJ

OMG... are these the bolts on each side i am supposed to adjust, which i read in the pdf?  This what i think it is... the deck hooks on the hidden side of this piece where the cotter pin is?  The spring is on the inside facing away from me as i lay next to the deck so i never observed the springs.  The top of these pieces goes up into the frame of the tractor... i presume the nut and bolt end is hidden up in the frame/ body.  How would i access the other  (hidden) end of these units so to adjust the bolt on the slot and or change the spring.  Yes, now that you mention broken spring... that feels just what it is.

Still looking at the new pdf's that Gary sent me and doing some dinner so more homework to do on this but i think i see light at the end of the tunnel!

Thanks N3PUY... i will take off the deck again and pull the Tractor up on the hoist so i can access for a good look.. tomorrow!

gwest_ca

That hanger assembly and spring is part of the tractor - not the mower deck.

This illustrated parts list Part 1 and page or section 4 shows these pieces - Frame, Sheet metal and Covers. Item 33 is the bolt through the side cover.

Garry

chuck NJ

Gary... great pdf which has better explanation and i can see these in images great!
810732R1 1991-93 30in SD 36in RD 200-Series OM.pdf

and part 1 section 4 showing how the top of spring is secured... this is called the "Side-To-Side Adjustment right/ left hand Eccentric"?
...for fine tuning the deck level or is that the entire deck leveling adjustment control for side to side?

Some model decks require loosening bolts at the front of the deck then retighten after adjustment but i have to look at my deck again to see if that applies to me or i just adjust the springs.

i will look this over tomorrow again with fresh coffee then go out to my wheel horse.

I think i have enough intel now to figure this out.

N3PUY, big help with that image... made that part so clear for me... thanks.

N3PUY

I had to buy one of those springs from the dealer a few years ago ..... $20

chuck NJ

I felt with my hand, the nut on the carriage bolt  (pdf:  Part 1 section 4, part #33)  and both springs are there.  The deck leans to the right about 1.5 inches lower on the right so i plan to adjust both bolts to so level the deck... are those two bolts the only pieces i need to adjust for side-to-side leveling?

57197b348d087_IMG_0498(800x600).jpg.3f01dc55a85472258d7eb45ab2722534.jpg

chuck NJ

I loosened the 2 nuts of the 2 carrage bolts, slid the units down the left slot and the other unit up for the right slot (all the way) and the deck is with in 1/8 inch so would say mission accomplished unless someone advises me that there is more to it than this.but right now the mower desk cuts great... lawn looks awesome :) Now that i found you guys i still have a few dozen questions but i will list them later after i read these awesome pdf's Gary sent me.

Thanks, Gary and N3PUY...

i will post a few pictures of my wheel horse and the outlook i use to lift the tractor.

N3PUY
47 minutes ago, chuck NJ said:

I loosened the 2 nuts of the 2 carrage bolts, slid the units down the left slot and the other unit up for the right slot (all the way) and the deck is with in 1/8 inch so would say mission accomplished unless someone advises me that there is more to it than this.but right now the mower desk cuts great... lawn looks awesome :) Now that i found you guys i still have a few dozen questions but i will list them later after i read these awesome pdf's Gary sent me.

Thanks, Gary and N3PUY...

i will post a few pictures of my wheel horse and the outlook i use to lift the tractor.

Chuck,   What you did worked BUT doesn't sound correct.   Did you actually see the springs?   Sounds like the end could be broken off of one.   The bolts should be adjusted nearly the same.   And I think the carriage bolts don't tighten in the slots... they clamp onto the springs.  Stick a camera under there and take a few pics of the springs if possible ....

chuck NJ

Left Bolt Slot copy.jpgN3PUY... i see no other way to level side-to-side than to loosen the carriage bolts; slide the bolt in the slot on the tractor frame, which raises or lowers the left or right side of the deck and then re-tighten the carriage bolt.  The slot of the piece that rides up and down by the pull of the spring is still free.  The bolt is locked (tightened in place) the slot that is on the tractor body.  I reached in there and pulled on both springs... they seem secure and very tight.  I cannot fit my tablet in there for a picture but when i drop the deck again, i will hoist the machine up on rear wheels for closer inspection and pictures.  I am not mechanically inclined so every time i work on the wheel horse it is a challenging experience for me and i have issues with my vision so please do not miss-understand me of being difficult, i am just having a hard time familiarizing myself with the overall mechanics of this deck system.  Thank-you so much for your time!IMG_20160422_135055674.jpgIMG_20160422_135114667_HDR.jpg

Edited by chuck NJ