thehorse

Oil leak 416h

thehorse

I checked my oil in the 416h this weekend and found it very low. Upon closer inspection, I noticed a fair amount of oil around what appears to be the crankshaft seal behind the pto. I will clean everything up this weekend and inspect further. Has anyone ever had this problem and had to replace the seal? Is there anything else I should be looking for? Is the replacement of the seal a big job and where do you get one?

thanks for your comments.....

Len

leeave96

I should think that seal wouldn't be to hard to fix (someone correct me if I'm wrong), as it ought be easily accessible with the PTO removed.

Where to get it - you can download parts lists from Toro, I'm pretty sure, including the engine from Toro.  From there you can get the seal part number and order one from most anyone.  The parts list may be on this site somewhere too.

Good luck,

Bill

cleat

The Onan engine in my 520HC had a bad leak in that area.

It was the welch plug at the end of the camshaft just over the crankshaft behind the PTO had come loose.

I installed a new plug and all was good again.

• Like 1

thehorse

Thanks for info....I will repost this weekend after I clean the engine up and determine where the leak is coming from. 

When removing the Welch plug, do you run a small screw in the center and pull it out?

Did you find out why the plug was leaking?

cleat

The plug on mine was so loose I could just lift it out with a magnet.

If yours is still tight but leaking maybe you could clean it really good then just put a bit of sealant around it.

thehorse

I dodged a bullet! I took of the side sheet metal and tightened the bolts on the bearing plate and now I can't detect a leak!

• Like 2

Tankman

Yep! We should all be so lucky!

Nice!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

cleat

Never heard of those coming loose.

I better check all of mine.

Phatboy
On April 21, 2016 at 10:15 PM, cleat said:

The Onan engine in my 520HC had a bad leak in that area.

It was the welch plug at the end of the camshaft just over the crankshaft behind the PTO had come loose.

I installed a new plug and all was good again.

Cleat my welch plug started to seap a little bit just enough to make it wet and after a hour of operation a drip down motor ,, i got lucky and just siliconed it where the plug met the block and it stopped leaking for me ,,been about 3 months so far and its still nice and dry, if it ever starts again ill change it ,, what was the procedure in changing it ?just exaust bracket removal ?

Edited by Phatboy

cleat

Well, mine was loose, it came that way and likely had been that way for some time so it was very loose.

I pulled the muffler and the PTO bracket. Removed the very loose plug with a magnet then cleaned the area where the new plug will seat very well to remove all traces of oil.

A thin bead of silicone was places where the new plug will sit. Very small bead, just enough to cause a seal.

The new plug was put in place then the center was flattened in slightly using a large punch.

That locks it into place.

Reassemble muffler and PTO bracket and you are done.

In your case, if it is not leaking, you are good to go.

scoob8000
8 hours ago, Phatboy said:

Cleat my welch plug started to seap a little bit just enough to make it wet and after a hour of operation a drip down motor ,, i got lucky and just siliconed it where the plug met the block and it stopped leaking for me ,,been about 3 months so far and its still nice and dry, if it ever starts again ill change it ,, what was the procedure in changing it ?just exaust bracket removal ?

Mine is doing the same exact thing.   The motor was pretty greasy on that side when I got the tractor but after a little degreaser I can tell it's that plug seeping.

doc724

Hmmm.  You have got me thinking.  I have a Kohler Command Pro in my 314 that has similar symptoms (greasy mess on the PTO side).  I assumed it was between the face plate and the block since Kohler did away with real gaskets and used form in place gaskets.  Been too lazy to explore further though.  A welch plug leaking would be great.  Otherwise I have to remove the muffler to get the face plate off and I am loathe to touch it lest I snap a stud in the block!

thehorse

You may find, like I did, that the bolts on the plate just  needed snugged up.

Cant tell you how relirpeved I was to find that!