Mickey71730

Looking to buy my 1st wheel horse

N3PUY

If it's been sitting out there could be water in the wrong places.   The worst might be the transmission.  Water fills the transmission through the shifter.   Enough frozen water (ice) can bend and crack things.  Spindles might be rusted.  The motor ??????.      Offer as little as possible $50 even though it has potential.  More if you really want it ... they are getting hard to find.  Personally I would go $150 and expect to add tires and maybe a motor .... and transmission repairs.    I'm back to $50!

• Like 7

Mickey71730

OK thanks I'll check the trans case for cracks. The shifter moved freely but really doesn't mean anything. Tires and motor doesn't bother me that much. I'm looking to restore and put it to work. 

• Like 4

wallfish

:WRS:

That's a 1961 model 401. It has all the goodies that are missing many times like the belt guards plus the hood isn't cut, which is another good thing. I doubt there are many of those around in Arkansas so if your into old garden tractors you should snag it.

• Like 6

Ohwheelhorse

I am a new wheel horse owner to. I really like the round hoods. I would love to find one of those. But he's right the trany would worry me but not detour me. I would just keep that in mind while making the offer. Good luck to you. 

• Like 3

AlwaysLookin80

Wall fish is correct on the model and year. In that condition N3PUY  is right on at 150.00. 

• Like 3

parsonsponyz

That looks like a machine with a lot of potential.  Price it at whatever your comfortable with and makes both you and him happy. Welcome to Red Square.

• Like 3

Mickey71730

Yeah there isn't many wheel horses around here. I'm willing to pay $150 for it. I'll check the trans next time I'm out there. I was like a fat kid at the candy store when I first saw it lol. Childhood memories.

Thank y'all for the insight. Hope to get it soon.

• Like 4

roadapples

Good luck with the  :wh:   :WRS:   and tell him I`ll give him 10 bucks for that butchering kettle  :rolleyes:

• Like 2

Mickey71730

I'll ask but from what I understand he doesn't like to sell anything lol. I feel lucky he's even willing to sell it to me.

• Like 3

wallfish
21 minutes ago, Mickey71730 said:

I'm willing to pay $150 for it.

There's at least that much there in parts. Just the belt guards and heat shield could bring $100+. Then there's the hood button with the switch, the hood, the carb, the air cleaner, seat and spring, pulleys, rims, ect. ect. Hopefully that original gas tank is good too as those go for about $75 in good condition.  Of coarse I hope you get it and get her working again vs parting it out but just wanted to help give some info in case you have to barter more than anticipated.

Being more rare in your area could be a good or bad thing. Not many people looking for them could lower the price but if they are looking for them, it could raise the price.

• Like 4

Mickey71730

I want it bad. It's everything I'm looking for in a project like this. I just was needing to get a guesstimation on price. I was guessing close but don't think I'll get it for $150 but who knows. 

• Like 2

roadapples

Mickey, just kidding about the kettle, shipping would brake me...

• Like 2

Mickey71730

Lol OK wasn't sure how serious you were

• Like 2

Ed Kennell

If it's what you want...buy it.     May be a long time till you get another chance.     Good luck.

• Like 4

Retired Sparky

I'll say hello and   :text-welcomeconfetti:   To    :rs:  Looks like you are off to a wonderful adventure.  All the helpful info you could ever need. B)

• Like 1

WHX??

Diamond in  the rough...go get it!

• Like 2

KC9KAS

:WRS: Nice find!

Retired Wrencher
9 hours ago, N3PUY said:

If it's been sitting out there could be water in the wrong places.   The worst might be the transmission.  Water fills the transmission through the shifter.   Enough frozen water (ice) can bend and crack things.  Spindles might be rusted.  The motor ??????.      Offer as little as possible $50 even though it has potential.  More if you really want it ... they are getting hard to find.  Personally I would go $150 and expect to add tires and maybe a motor .... and transmission repairs.    I'm back to $50!

:WRS: pretty much what N3puy said. low as possible. because of the weathering. All things can be fixed but the $$$$$ tend to over shadow the need or want After a while. I think the tranny is ok you can always  find a engine for it of some brand. If you get enjoy the project.

• Like 3

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

I like the patina. welcome to red square. best of luck. now go get it. 

Glenn

• Like 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, wallfish said:

hope you get it and get her working again vs parting it out

:WRS:              As others have said, this :wh: has the hard to find parts already there. If you bought another one that needed these parts it would drive up the cost, plus it is not geographically undesirable! Going on a road trip to pick one up can be fun, but it adds to the cost too.

:text-coolphotos:

• Like 4

Road-Track

If the motor ran 10 years ago and you can turn it by hand, you should be able to save it. Since this is in the deep south it probably has not seen freezing temps much.

I would go for it!  Welcome to Red Square!

:text-welcomeconfetti::rs:

• Like 1

Tankman

Definitely a worthwhile project. Go get it if you have the time and shop to work on that classic Horse! A show worthy Stallion! :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 1

TDF5G

Welcome aboard.  IMO, if it's what you want, then buy it.  Those aren't just sitting around complete like that everywhere.  It's certainly worth saving.  Keep us informed!

:WRS:

• Like 2

RedRanger

I'd bet money it's been A LOT more than 10 years since she ran.  :lol:

Whatever you do, leave that patina alone!  I'd get it running and throw some new rubber on her..DONE!

• Like 1