Sign in to follow this  
jerrell

swapping trannies,

jerrell

:D i have 5 mowers with hydro transmissions and would like to have one geared transmission. i keep reading posts about 3,4,6,8 speeds, some of the ones i have looked at in posts look as if they will just bolt right up without modification except maybe for the belt,. can this be done and what would be a good tramsmission for a 20 hp?/ :hide:

kpinnc

Yes, they will all bolt up. But, you'll need the correct clutch/brake linkages, and the right brake band for the tranny you use. Not hard to find items by any means.

3 or 4 speed means the same thing, just like 6 and 8 speeds. WH just gave them different names over the years.

And the best one to use on that kind of hp, is one (4 or 8 speed) with 1 and 1/8th axles and an 8 pinion differential. 20hp is a bit of a load on anything less, particularly if you put it in a bind.

Good luck,

Kevin

jerrell

:hide: Kevin, i will have to get busy and see if i can find a 4 or 8 speed ,,hopefully i could pick it up IF my trip to IL, works out next week, maybe i can find one somewhere close to springfield IL, plan to put it on the GT-18LP, (madeup name) i already have ag duels for the back..

If i am luckey enough to find one with the 1 1/8 hubs will my rims still fit the bolt pattern or will i have to get new rims? hint hint hint if you know any one that has one for sale please let me know..

Duff

:D Kevin, i will have to get busy and see if i can find a 4 or 8 speed ,,hopefully i could pick it up IF my trip to IL, works out next week, maybe i can find one somewhere close to springfield IL, plan to put it on the GT-18LP, (madeup name) i already have ag duels for the back..

If i am luckey enough to find one with the 1 1/8 hubs will my rims still fit the bolt pattern or will i have to get new rims? hint hint hint if you know any one that has one for sale please let me know..

Jerrell,

Don't know if it will help, but I saw this in the RS classifieds....

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/index.php?showtopic=6999

Duff :hide:

Nick

Jerrell, All the 5 bolt 12" wheels should be the same bolt pattern. Good luck finding one. :hide:

oldwhman

Just remember that the 953, 1054, and 1054A models have a different transmission bolt up pattern. The top holes are closer together than the botttom ones. They can be adapted but be careful :hide:

jerrell

:hide: i have been surfing the web trying to find a trans, and i've decided to just by a whole tractor. it's cheaper , with the price of the unit (of which i could't find) and the shipping , i just decided to look for a complete tractor and use one of the hydros i have to swap out, want to put the geared trans on the gt lp.. i just wanted to find one in a hurry so i could make just one trip :D