Thomas Owens

416-8 Drive belt

Thomas Owens

OK, I've had this tractor for 15 years. It's been a great tractor. This year however it seems like I've done more work than ever before. I've had the carburetor off, for the first time, I've replaced the vacuum fuel pump with an electric one, but now I have a drive belt issue. The tractor is a 1991 416-8 and the number of the belt as far as I can find online should be #7473. A dealer actually came up with the same number belt when I gave him the model number. Only thing is, I cannot get it to fit, even around just the front pulley (at the engine) and the rear one (rear end), not to even bring the clutch pulley into the mix. I even took the rear wheel off, then the rear pulley to try and make it fit. Measuring the old one (despite the chunks that have come out of it) I see that the new one is a bit shorter, maybe an inch or two. Even allowing for stretch on the old one I think somethings off. This is the first time I've had to replace the drive belt. Can anyone help me out here? I really need it to last a few more years.

daveoman1966

Belt 7473 is 82" long.  Depending on the MODEL YEAR of your 416-8, the belt is either 7473(82"), or 107939 at 83".  Another belt is named for the 416-8 as # 108501 but it is only 81" long.  What is the serial  # of your tractor, or the model year if you know it.  ? 

There is, of course, a remote possibility that belt # 7478 at 84" would work. 

Thomas Owens

It's a 31-160803 which I believe is a 1991 model......

Phatboy

I know this is a dumb question,, but my grandpa told me once the only dumb question is the one you dont ask,, so im gonna ask it,, you did have someone depress the clutch all the way in while trying to put the belt on right ? Not trying to insult anyone , but 17 years ago while putting on my first drive belt i didnt know to do it tell someone told me ,, so figured couldnt hurt to ask..

Thomas Owens

Oh yeah, I can't even get it on the main two pulleys, let alone the clutch pulley..... I had my wife come out to the garage early on to hold the clutch in, before I found out it just wasn't going.

BTW, The new belt does seem to be wider than the old one, but I figured that was probably 25 years of wear as well.

Thanks for the answers thus far!!

Tommy

daveoman1966

1991 Model year for 416-8 is model # 31-16O803 and the schematic drive belt is # 78-7100.  That belt is identical to 7473 at 82" long...same belt, just different part #.

I can only suggest that MAYBE someone has swapped out  any one of the 3 system pulleys, changing the belt length to what he had on hand. 

You should not have to have a helper mount the belt.  It should go on easily, under spring tension.... by hand turning the trans pulley to ride the belt into the idler pulley groove.  

One other thing....   GATES makes a belt # 7473, but it is only 48" long.  Did the dealer inadvertently sell you that Gates belt...and not a Toro/Wheelhorse belt # 7473? ? ? ?

Phatboy

You can buy OEM TORO belts on amazon believe it or not,, thats where i get all mine..

gwest_ca

The 1990 - 1995 models likely share a parts manual.

The single cylinder 8-speed models use a 82" belt.

The twin-cylinder 8-speed models use a 83-1/2" belt number 93-9809

The hydro models each use different belts again.

At some point in time I discovered the on-line parts lists are not correct for this tractor model. Here is an original ipl that shows a 107939 belt that has been replaced by 93-9809 belt (5/8" x 83-1/2")

Garry

• Like 1

BESTDOGEVER

The drive pulley ontwin cylinder engines is bigger which accounts foe the  longer belt I got a 414a that was converted to a 8 speed  that near drove me nuts  finding the right belt so that 831/2 inch is probably the best pick

• Like 2

skrusins

Make sure they check the length of the belt, I've been getting that belt in different lengths. Some times it's a 1/4  to 3/4 off

I was told the companies have changed manufactures.

Thomas Owens

OK, I do have the two cylinder Onan, so the post about the longer belt and the post about the two-cylindar engine having a larger pulley make sense. Now to see if I can get the dealer to swap it out for me. If not I may have a 7473 for sale :)

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it!

Tommy

Thomas Owens

The dealer had the correct belt in stock and let me trade the incorrect one and some cash for the correct one. Took me just a few minutes to get it on and everything back together. Cut grass for maybe 20 minutes and it decided it didn't like being out in the yard and quit on me. I think the electric fuel pump may not have been getting enough juice to keep the flow up. At least I hope that's all it was. Planning to get a new end for the battery cable and give it another shot.

Thanks,

Tommy

Tankman

I staple gun belt sleeves on the barn wall, labeled (i.e.: 416-8 Drive Belt).

Huskee Kevlar belts, on the TSC shelves, hold up great! Inexpensive compared to TORO belts.

The Kevlar belts are green. Meaning? Oil Resistant. Never had one fail.

• Like 1