JC 1965

My old gas trimmer died

ACman

We sold stihl and used fs80's with and without handle bars . I've had a lot of time behind a trimmer and I mean a lot . If your clearing property  handlebars with a  Metal head work great but  watch out for kick back not good around buildings . Long shaft with regular handle and shoulder strap . Look at head with three plastic blades . Still works good on the heavy stuff but enough give for next to buildings . Also made in USA  . As far as saws go stihl all the way dolmar/ makita IMO use a lot of fuel . Watch all the logging shows almost everyone uses stihl . I do have to admit I own a craftsman/poulan trimmer I bought in 1996 it says right on it durability 50 hrs . I beat that thing to death and it won't die , and when it does I'm going to give it a funeral . I've usually just dump gas in and pour in some good oil ( Arctic cat or Amsoil ) always rich . Poulan's made here to . As far as carbs go buy a new one . 

• Like 1

squonk

My wife bought one of these. Sthil Yard Boss to till her garden. The same day she bought the trimmer head attachment for me. They did a poor job of winding the string from the fact. so I brought the head in. The Stihl rep happened to be in the store and he gave me one of those wind the clock loading heads and a package  of string for my trouble. Haven't used the new head yet as I still have string in the original head.

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/multi-task-tools/yard-boss/mm55/

yb1.jpg

• Like 1

JPWH

I use the multi attachment head. I have the small tiller, hedge trimmer, and weed eater with the quick change pre cut strings. I now have the four stroke head that works pretty good. I get about 2 or 3 years out of the power head. I have had the attachments for about 10 years and I'm on my 3rd power head. About 150 bucks every three years or a father's day present year before last.

• Like 1

can whlvr

I too have the stihl that can use several attacments,the tiller is awesome for weeding the garden,without the cart,its a workout though,i have the sniper head and the blower for it,id like to get the sweeper to,i have had many,many stihl products and still own 5 sthil power units,as far as weed eater id go with a stihl or the echo,25 years ago the only choice was stihl for commercial,maybe huquvarna but I have a huqu chain saw as well as a stihl and the sthil rules

• Like 1

Terry M

I bought an Echo straight shaft about 10 years ago from my local Toro Dealer.     Never a problem and I've put many hours on it over the years....only replaced the "wear and tear" items like the spark plug and the bump head.

Just my 2 cents:)  

• Like 3

Bonacker

I have had good luck with all echo equipment chain saws  blower and trimmers take care of them and they take care of you 

• Like 3

wh500special

Echo.  

The trimmer we bought in 1994 is still perfect.  Starts, runs, advances line every time . 

I have echo everything: trimmers, saws, hedge clipper, water pump, gas drill, blower.   Never a bad one.  

Not it marketed as well as other brands like stihl, but great stuff.  

Steve

• Like 2

wildman

If my memory is right my echo came with a 5 year warranty that has to say something 

• Like 2

RedRanger

AT 6'4" my last trimmer was a curved shaft and it killed my back.  Always hunched over.

Straight shaft all the way.

• Like 1

TDF5G
On 4/1/2016 at 4:50 PM, Retired Sparky said:

I only have to renew the string in Stihl every 18 mos.  I save the instructions, it takes me less than 30mins.

You need help, come give me a visit. You'll love Maine in the summer. We got lobster remember. 

I can show you where Stephen King lives in the summer.   By god we'll have good old time. B)

Thanks for the invite, Sparky.  If I'm ever up your way, I'll look you up.!

:)

ericj

echo all the way, i bought a 266 power head several years ago, then a couple of years ago found 2 power heads and hedge trimmer heads for a $ 100.00. only got 1 good power head out of the deal but it was worth it.. i have if i recall correctly 3 echo blowers. 2 chain saws, 2 power heads, an edger and a curved shaft an a straight shaft trimmers, a pruner head. i had home-lite and another brand can't think of right now. and i also have a chain link fence. the other brand the fence would just eat up the string, but the echo can actually go the whole way around several times before it runs out and that's any of the echo trimmers i have.

eric j 

• Like 1

truckin88

I had stihl...to heavy, but very dependable and trouble free. Then got a redmax, broke the head on a rock, paid 300+, the dealer would not cover under warranty (6 months old), parts cost me $20, but was so mad I sold it, broke even. So then I said the heck with dealer. And went between husqy and echo, HD put the SRM -225 from Echo on sale for $199, I bought it. It is wonderful, powerful, light, and smooth. ECHO all the way

• Like 1