Aldon

Project Lazarus - GT14 manual PTO - adding attach-a-matic

ztnoo

If you had the original size tires on the front, do you think you would have clearance?

Aldon

The Vredsteins are the same size as what is on the GT14's normally. The profile looks a little different. As such one may gain a little more clearance but not enough to negate the issue entirely.

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 1

Aldon

So it took some wrestling but I rigged a lift chain with Clevis pins that will not bind and make attaching deck a breeze going forward. 

Need to figure out where to source extra long belts....So until I get them, this tractor is as far as I can go...note deck is lifted. WooHoo!

image.jpeg

• Like 1

ztnoo

so......question Mr. T.

Does the hydraulic cylinder lift and lower the deck via the control valve to the right of the hydro control lever?

We need more close up pics of your installation!

I'll snoop around for long power rated belts.........116" is what you thought you needed, right???

• Like 2

Aldon

Yes. 

The tractor came to me with some very half cocked crappy home engineered lift device rod that pretty much was useless.

Removed it and tried bolting a chain in place as I live in a place much like the store in movie "oh Brother Where art Thou"...Geographical Oddity. Two weeks from everywhere:-)

Basically spent too long trying to jury rig it. Promptly broke the lift chain twice. Decided to do the road trip yesterday evening and bout the Clevis pins and links I needed And installed after church this afternoon. Viola! Works great now. Not easy to get pics underneath the tractor. Basically had to add washers on each side of the Clevis pin to allow slack but keep it attached.

Edited by Aldon
  • Like 2

ztnoo

1/2" belt, right?

Aldon
Just now, ztnoo said:

1/2" belt, right?

Yes. My wife may have found a Toro believe on Amazon. Ordering from Amazon should allow me an easier return.

• Like 1

Aldon

Belt is in order.

• Like 1

ztnoo

10-4. I guess as soon as the belt arrives, you'll know pretty quickly if that length is going to work to drive the mower deck or not.

Aldon, I still don't "get" what the function of the spring is on the right side of the plastic gas tank.

What is it attached to top and bottom?

My first year GT 14 never had that arrangement from the day I bought it, so its all very puzzling to me.....

Aldon

Per manual:

GT14 Nose.JPG

ztnoo

OK....well that must be a later year change from my first year model.

My tank is secured by a flat strap with is bolted together on the top of the tank and tensioned with a bolt and nut.

It can't readily be seen from the outside of the tractor, and only if you look into the inside grill area at a certain angle will you notice it.

Just one of those minor production changes during a model's life span, I guess.

Aldon

It's a good news bad news situation.

I decided to procure a longer belt than what I measure at since the string sits at the most center diameter of the pulley. I had measured 115 and ordered a 117 inch belt. 

The good news is that I was able to get it mounted just barely. Very tight. With front  Mule drive at the lowered most setting. It works well and clearance seems to be 95 percent turning radius. Again, good enough for my needs.

The bad news is that with it so tight, the geometry of the front pulleys is not quite ideal and belt jumped off.

No damage or wear so I think I can send it back.

The next size up should do the trick.

So I believe I have this under wraps once I get the correct belt length determined and sourced.

• Like 1

Aldon

I got the 119 inch belt today. And even though everything is damp from rain, I had to see if it would do the trick.

It works well. To be 100 percent perfect I would need a torch to heat the mule shaft and bend it about 10 degrees. Otherwise the belt stayed on and deck cuts well. The angle of the flat pulley may lead to some belt wear but I am happy with buying an occasional belt if need be. 

The resurrection of Lazarus is finito! 

Until next year:-)

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 5

ztnoo

Mr. T,

I can see what you are talking about as far as belt/pulley relationship.

Maybe not quite "ideal"......but we're not talking about showroom new stuff and applications here, right?

It needs a little more direct alignment by moving the shaft angled slightly forward to have a more direct alignment.

However doing that, might further compromise turning radius capability.

So what if you wear a belt out every 2 or 3 mowing seasons using a now 45 year old tractor???  No big deal in my book.

I'd consider that a fair trade off to keeping the old horse working.

• Like 1

Aldon

Ran into minor problem with Lazarus. Set screws on carb keep working themselves loose. Ordered a new carb and will rebuild the one on the tractor at my leisure for a spare. Does do a decent job mowing. Although I can't raise the height of cut as far as I would like. I'm hoping that it's at least in part due tontheb42 inch rear discharge deck as I am rebuilding a 48 inch side discharge deck for mid summer. 

Here is a charity pic :-) showing the cut.

image.jpeg

• Like 3

mmmmmdonuts

Looking great Aldon. That is a nice mod you did. 

• Like 1

Aldon

The final - final entry for Lazarus.

I installed the new carb and man what a significant improvement. Runs like new!

And the drifting up and down of speed was resolved. Had to due with consistant rpms.

All I can say is wow! This tractor is stout. Way strong. And it is now a pleasure to drive......and mow!

As I consider the experiment a success, I'll swap out this old 42 inch rear discharge deck for a almost new one I have. Hopefully it runs quieter. The noise from this older deck is a burden on the ears. Significant decibel drop when PTO is disengaged. A couple pics to close the thread out. Note I got the mowing in before the rain came and went.

image.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 2

ztnoo

Did you have to pull anything off the front end to get the carb installed???

Pretty cramped quarters to work in that area.....

• Like 1

Aldon
2 hours ago, ztnoo said:

Did you have to pull anything off the front end to get the carb installed???

Pretty cramped quarters to work in that area.....

I pulled the heat shield. Other than that, I had to loosen the choke tie downs to work the Z bend out of the lever.

it is indeed tight space. The bolts that hold the carb on from factory are really long. So I had to loosen each side a few turns  and then swap sides. I replaced with shorter bolts during install.

The only mod I did was to grind off the post on the new BBT carb from the backside until I was able to pull it free leaving a small hole. That allowed me to use the original linkage. 

• Like 1

cleat
On 5/9/2016 at 6:31 PM, Aldon said:

Ran into minor problem with Lazarus. Set screws on carb keep working themselves loose. Ordered a new carb and will rebuild the one on the tractor at my leisure for a spare. Does do a decent job mowing. Although I can't raise the height of cut as far as I would like. I'm hoping that it's at least in part due tontheb42 inch rear discharge deck as I am rebuilding a 48 inch side discharge deck for mid summer. 

Here is a charity pic :-) showing the cut.

image.jpeg

Wheel Horse decks all seem to cut low but do a nice even cut.

If I were you, I would install a steering stop of some sort to prevent the front tire contacting the mule drive.

The pulley angle looks like mine as well, to look at it, it does not seem right but it works well.

• Like 1

gt14rider

Hi Aldon.  I have a 70 GT with the same setup  mule drive, manual pto, 48in deck,.  My pto just stb but don't know what tractor it came off ,.  Need to replace bearings,seal, clutch plate, can anyone  help me with a model, year ?

Aldon
1 minute ago, gt14rider said:

Hi Aldon.  I have a 70 GT with the same setup  mule drive, manual pto, 48in deck,.  My pto just stb but don't know what tractor it came off ,.  Need to replace bearings,seal, clutch plate, can anyone  help me with a model, year ?

I would sift through the different 1970 models like the raider 12 or 14 etc and make an educated guess. I am almost 100 percent sure they did not engineer something specific when installing manual PTO. I will eventually do the same thing ie refresh the PTO bearings etc and that is what I was planning.

IF YOU CONFIRM PARTS PLEASE UPDATE THIS THREAD.

It will help out others along same path.

• Like 1

gt14rider

Aldon.     Found all models have same #s.                                                                                                 W/h- toro                  after market                                   1.   Clutch plate.            94-6650                                                                             2.   Oil seal.                     6663.                Skf 14810.     Nat   343099.                 3.   Needle bearing        106769             koyo torrington  b-2420.l125.             4    ball bearing.             109842.            Timken   204rr6a4361.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

• Like 1

Aldon
11 hours ago, gt14rider said:

Aldon.     Found all models have same #s.                                                                                                 W/h- toro                  after market                                   1.   Clutch plate.            94-6650                                                                             2.   Oil seal.                     6663.                Skf 14810.     Nat   343099.                 3.   Needle bearing        106769             koyo torrington  b-2420.l125.             4    ball bearing.             109842.            Timken   204rr6a4361.                                                                                                                                                                                                  

Thanks for saving the rest of us the time and trouble by posting it here. I know I'll make use of it sooner rather than later.