DownHome

1054 gas tank is Nasty!

DownHome

Now that I have my 855 operational I am shifting gears back to my 1054. Troubleshooting my fuel delivery issues I have removed the gas tank (don't ask how-you won't want to know) It appears to be pretty nasty inside, what is the best approach to trying to save the tank or hunt down a replacement? I'm not going for original necessarily. This tractor has had plenty of modifications from the previous owner. So I'm open to being creative. Thoughts???

• Like 1

slammer302

I usually just take them off and spray them out with a hose. 

• Like 1

dells68

I've loaded my antique vw tanks with fine gravel and water and given them a good shake.  Really seems to break loose all of the crud and rust in there.  I then let them dry and coat with a tank coating from POR 15.  Stuff has worked really well and has held up to ethanol blended gases.  Hope that keeps going - been there about 5 years now.

• Like 4

WHX??
7 minutes ago, dells68 said:

I've loaded my antique vw tanks with fine gravel and water and given them a good shake

Like your idea about gravel Dell, I was thinking about using steel shot. and Berryman's

• Like 1

AMC RULES

Load 'em 1/4 with shot, bungee to a wheel rim...

then, drive a mile down the road.

Clean as a whistle.     :whistle: 

• Like 3

WHX??

What speed do you suggest??:auto-layrubber:

• Like 2

AMC RULES

WFO...:blink:

of course. 

• Like 4

JPWH
50 minutes ago, dells68 said:

I've loaded my antique vw tanks with fine gravel and water and given them a good shake.  Really seems to break loose all of the crud and rust in there.  I then let them dry and coat with a tank coating from POR 15.  Stuff has worked really well and has held up to ethanol blended gases.  Hope that keeps going - been there about 5 years now.

Glad to hear that about POR 15 I just used it on my 854 tank. Only took about a 1/4 pint.

• Like 2

Retired Sparky
3 hours ago, WHX61/3 said:

Like your idea about gravel Dell, I was thinking about using steel shot. and Berryman's

I used the gravel idea in Boy Scout Camp.  That frying pan looks a hole lot better. Isn't gravel great!!!

• Like 1

dells68

You'd be surprised at all of the uses you can come up with for stuff when you don't have other options - don't ask my wife where some of her sheets and cleaning stuff have gone!!!!

• Like 3

gt4
On ‎30‎/‎03‎/‎2016 at 5:38 PM, AMC RULES said:

Load 'em 1/4 with shot, bungee to a wheel rim...

then, drive a mile down the road.

Clean as a whistle.     :whistle: 

That's how I do it ....works every time.

• Like 1

AMC RULES

:text-yeahthat: It's so easy.  :rolleyes:

• Like 1

Gor_Cabot1@msn.com

I bought an old WH 1054 years ago with the intent of making it a restoration project out of it.  Life had other plans and time slipped by with the tractor just sitting in the yard.

Now 15 years have gone and I recently lost one of my sons to a brain tumor.  His son, 11 years old, asked if we could maybe restore the tractor and either pull or show it.

Welllll, I'm going to make this happen, but I have no real experience with this stuff.  Overall I see my priorities as getting the electrical system in order and the fuel delivery restored. 

Can anyone tell me how to get the old tank out so I can either clean or replace it.  It looks to be pretty snug in it's place under the seat!  I certainly would appreciate any tips you guys could give me.

Wheel Horse.jpg

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1

953 nut
10 hours ago, Gor_Cabot1@msn.com said:

I recently lost one of my sons to a brain tumor.

So sorry to hear of your loss.                                   :WRS:

That looks like a great grandfather/grandson project.          :text-coolphotos:               To remove the gas tank you will need to remove the transaxle. To get at the top righthand bolt for the transaxle it is best to remove the hydraulic lift cylinder.

Post a few pictures as you go along, we are hear to help.  Your tractor may be a first generation 953, what is the serial number?

Edited by 953 nut

Gregor

:text-welcomeconfetti:  to  :rs:We like to see LOTS of pics. This may help you along the way. As said above, a serial number would help. The serial number plate should be located on tower under the steering wheel.

Edited by Gregor

Gregor
15 hours ago, Gor_Cabot1@msn.com said:

I bought an old WH 1054 years ago with the intent of making it a restoration project out of it.

I would suggest starting a new thread under "Restorations, Modifications, & Customization's"  I had a heck of a time finding this again.

Edited by Gregor

Tuneup

I had an old CB750 to repair for a friend and the tank was terrible - at least no significant rust. Added some gravel, wrapped it in an old quilt and tossed it in the dryer so that it was in a fixed position in the center. Fluff about 10 minutes and check. I like the strap it to the car method!

Maxwell-8

I fill the fuel tanks with rocks, bolts, washers. then  I do this: 

WheelHorse520H
On 10/2/2021 at 9:54 PM, Gor_Cabot1@msn.com said:

Now 15 years have gone and I recently lost one of my sons to a brain tumor.  His son, 11 years old, asked if we could maybe restore the tractor and either pull or show it.

I’m sorry to hear about that, I hope you and your grandson have a fun project together.