sledgehammer

tractor

sledgehammer

thank you i am learning how to do this.I never did before.Can you tell me what is to much to pay for a 1973 8 horse 8 speed wheel horse in good condition,with extra frame wheels,and steering?Is 600 to much?

• Like 3

RedRanger

Welcome to RedSquare.

Price depends on your definition of "good condition".

$600 could be fair or it could be high or low?

I'm sure others will be along soon to help.

Any pictures of it?  Any attachments?

Bottom line is if you are happy with the price.

• Like 1

roadapples

My preference would be something bigger than an 8 for that money. It would have to be really nice. Just my opinion, and  :WRS:

• Like 3

sledgehammer

i do not know how to even post the right way.This message came via email,that is why i did not see it until now.It looks good runs great,i changed the oil and rear end oil,i think it will be a good machine.I would like to maybe restore it a little at a time.I will need help from you guys,i do not know how to get it up to get under it,i guess put it up on some ramps,but i just need a hobby and i think this will work.I do not know  if you saw my earlier post  it would not go in gear  when i pushed in the brake the gears just kept spinning,so i did not know what to do so i tightened the band and nothing but when i loosened it it went right in.Another guy on here said in 50 years he never heard of such a thing,so i went out tightened the band and it did the same thing,when i loosened it it worked i have not figured it out,i did it 3 more times and same thing.I mean it is fine now but i cant let it go until i figure it out.Thank you so much for your response.Maybe you can help me with how to post on this site?i am not a big computer guy,surprise.Thanks again

• Like 6

Pullstart

Hey @sledgehammer welcome to RedSquare!  It shows that you have 2 posts total, the first one I didn't see anything about clutch or brake problems.  Does the tractor have a belt guard?  That helps as a natural brake to the belt when you press the clutch.  The belt should slip on the engine pulley enough to stop the transmission input so you can select gears.  These transmissions aren't designed to shift on the fly, so they need to be completely stopped at the tires and input to be able to shift gears.  I hope this helps!

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Don't go away, hang in there with us...     :techie-typing:

we'll get you, and your :wh: up to speed here in no time. 

:WRS:

• Like 3

Tankman

Welcome to the forums.

Can't really guess price, any pictures? :wwp:

• Like 1

Retired Wrencher

sledgehammer   :WRS: It is easy to post here. become a supporter and pictures will be easy. take pick`s from you pick section on your computer and just post them here. ////// Like Pullstart said your belt guard has fingers next to the engine pulley some times they need to be adjusted = either open or close them OK try that.

• Like 1

russellmc301

i payed 400 for a 14 8 speed with deck blade weights and chains.

so a bit lower if you could would be better. we all get a case of the wheel horse fever and you just need a :wh::twocents-02cents:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:    I have attached a copy of your manual for the 1973 8 HP 8 Speed. Take a look at plate 6.2 on page 3, it shows the relationship between the brake band adjustment and the clutch. They share a common pedal and it has to be depressed all the way to release the belt tension enough to shift. Tightening the brake band was preventing you from releasing belt tension enough. Part 6-08 on that illustration is the Parking brake lever; to adjust the brake properly all you need do is jack up the left rear wheel a bit with the transmission in neutral, loosen the brake band all the way (nut at the end of shaft 6-04) , depress the clutch/brake pedal and lock the parking brake lever. Now while turning the left rear tire tighten the nut on shaft 6-04 until the left rear tire wont turn any more. Tighten it another 1/2 turn then tighten the lock nut against it. Hope this is clear enough.

As for posting pictures, save them to your computer, at the bottom of your posting you will see choose files..., click on it and pick the photo and upload it, not too hard.

• Like 3

TDF5G

:WRS:

Good luck with your new project.  

• Like 1

ACman

:text-welcomewave::teasing-newbie: you'll figure it out . Don't :angry-banghead: beat head your into a wall or get your panties in a bunch :teasing-wedgie: . I didn't know much about computers either :techie-hiding:. When you need help send an :confusion-helpsos:  . Where all here to help . I use a iPad didn't know one thing about it now it's as easy as:chores-chopwood:. Everyone here likes to :teasing-poke: have fun and talk :wh: . Now I'm addicted and it seems to be highly contagious :sad-fever:  . It's all I think about from :coffee:  till :sleeping-sleeping: . Become a supporter it's quick and painless and keeps this forum up and running :teasing-signhere:. ( not to mention the posting pictures thing ) And there's one thing here  :wwp: ! :rs:Rules ! 

:music-rockout: :text-thankyouyellow:  . 

• Like 6

Pullstart
27 minutes ago, ACman said:

:text-welcomewave::teasing-newbie: you'll figure it out . Don't :angry-banghead: beat head your into a wall or get your panties in a bunch :teasing-wedgie: . I didn't know much about computers either :techie-hiding:. When you need help send an :confusion-helpsos:  . Where all here to help . I use a iPad didn't know one thing about it now it's as easy as:chores-chopwood:. Everyone here likes to :teasing-poke: have fun and talk :wh: . Now I'm addicted and it seems to be highly contagious :sad-fever:  . It's all I think about from :coffee:  till :sleeping-sleeping: . Become a supporter it's quick and painless and keeps this forum up and running :teasing-signhere:. ( not to mention the posting pictures thing ) And there's one thing here  :wwp: ! :rs:Rules ! 

:music-rockout: :text-thankyouyellow:  . 

The best welcome ever.

• Like 4

953 nut
18 minutes ago, pullstart said:
47 minutes ago, ACman said:

I use a iPad

You are getting real good with that thing!

• Like 1

RedRanger
3 hours ago, pullstart said:

The best welcome ever.

Agreed.  Felt like I was back in 1st grade learning to read picture books!  :lol:

• Like 2

sledgehammer

Thanks guys,i am learning quick.How do i become a supporter?

RedRanger
8 minutes ago, sledgehammer said:

Thanks guys,i am learning quick.How do i become a supporter?

http://www.wheelhorseforum.com/store/

:rs:

• Like 1

ACman

Go to top of page and you'll see store(support) click on that and it will give you some different options 6 months 1 year  2 year lifetime if you have pay pal account it's quick and easy . Purchasing products doesn't get you supporter status . 

• Like 2

953 nut
8 minutes ago, sledgehammer said:

.How do i become a supporter?

:woohoo:                At the top of the home page you will see "Store", click on it and you will have several options.  Two others responded while I was typing.

• Like 2

sledgehammer

Just placed my order,waiting for confirmation email

• Like 3

953 nut
1 minute ago, sledgehammer said:

Just placed my order,waiting for confirmation email

:woohoo:                                  :handgestures-thumbupright:                                                         :text-bravo:

• Like 1

ACman

Should we tell him now ,that this horse fever doesn't have a cure and only gets worse . Thanks for the support !:woohoo:

• Like 1

farmer

:text-welcomeconfetti: sledgehammer, be warned it can get expensive on here. :):coffee:

sledgehammer

Thanks farmer,pleasure meeting you and the rest of the guys

• Like 1

AMC RULES

We have a support network already in place...

always here when ever you need it.    :handgestures-thumbsup:

WHorse-aholics Anonymous

• Like 1