tractorhogg

D series PTO coupler length

tractorhogg

Can someone tell me how long the D series rear PTO coupler on the back of the rear PTO shaft is? Thanks, Alain

• Like 1

82Caddy

This?

25412395113_343f56188b_k.jpg

tractorhogg

No, the piece that fits on the end of the rear PTO, like the one below

coupler2.jpg

82Caddy

That's where the piece I posted goes. Never seen that coupler before. What does the other side of it look like and what it for?

tractorhogg

Uh, the D series uses the coupler I posted to connect to the tiller, you can look it up in the manual section. you posted a picture of a 6 spline 540 rpm PTO shaft. The rear PTO on the D series is a 15 spline shaft.

82Caddy

Just to show I'm not crazy...

25411106744_1c13e76a8f_k.jpg

25949429261_c90b0a9d34_k.jpg

25949429511_56d9d0ed7f_k.jpg

Didn't know there was another type of pto attachment options.  

That's the adapter I have for the rear pto, sorry it's not helpful.

tractorhogg

I don't think your crazy, its just not the PTO coupler for the D series PTO to tiller, unless someone changed your shaft, again, it is in the manuals.

82Caddy

I don't have any rear pto attachments and haven't seen any in person. Good info to have when looking at them though. 

Good luck with your part info search.  

• Like 1

tractorhogg
3 minutes ago, 82Caddy said:

I don't have any rear pto attachments and haven't seen any in person. Good info to have when looking at them though. 

Good luck with your part info search.  

Yeah, you might want to look at the manual section under rear mowers and tillers and see that the PTO shafts supplied with D series implements are 15 spline by 1" diameter male ends and the rear PTO shaft is the same, so there is a female to female coupler that joins the tractor to the implement. That coupler pins to the tractor PTO shaft and has a quick disconnect for the tiller PTO shaft. What you have is something either shop made or an adapter to use 540 attachments on a 2000 rpm shaft.. There is a big problem with this idea, it was dreamed up by someone that didn't know anything about PTO speeds since anything that shaft went to would have been designed to run at 540 REVOLUTIONS PER MINUTE and the Wheel Horse rear PTO shaft runs over 1,000 to 2,000 revolutions per minute. It is possible that it was a shade tree fix which also had to involve tearing up the implemnt shaft to make it work. That's okay if you don't care about the original condition of the implement, but it does invite misuse with implements not designed to run at those high of PTO speeds. I would think that such a connection would be detrimental to both tractor and implement. I would paint it orange and use it as a fishing weight

Marv

2 and 5/8 inches

Marvin

• Like 1

tractorhogg
2 minutes ago, Marv said:

2 and 5/8 inches

Marvin

Thanks Marvin, it looks like I will be building a few of these. i can find the coupler, but other than cutting down a 15 spline yoke (40.00) and welding it to the coupler just for the quick connect I have yet to locate a quick connect I can weld to my straight coupler

1maidenfan

I believe the pic 82caddy posted might be the connection for a backhoe drive. I have seen one somewhere.:eusa-think:

• Like 1

tractorhogg
40 minutes ago, 1maidenfan said:

I believe the pic 82caddy posted might be the connection for a backhoe drive. I have seen one somewhere.:eusa-think:

Not sure, but it sure looks like a cat 1 tractor PTO shaft and if someone would attempt to use a cat 1 540 implement, it would not be good. Unfortunately that is a better possibility than finding a backhoe

82Caddy

Or after doing some more reading it looks like you can swap the end u-joint for a 540rpm quick connect and run a tiller that way... 

tractorhogg
3 minutes ago, 82Caddy said:

Or after doing some more reading it looks like you can swap the end u-joint for a 540rpm quick connect and run a tiller that way... 

I would like to know where you read that? because the end U-joint on the tller driveshaft has a perculiar shape and size to 2000 rpm shafts. Can you post a link or a picture?

C-101plowerpower
8 hours ago, tractorhogg said:

I would like to know where you read that? because the end U-joint on the tller driveshaft has a perculiar shape and size to 2000 rpm shafts. Can you post a link or a picture?

looking at the pto shaft i don't know why that wouldn't work, 

post-4490-0-28052400-1333845572.jpg

41RUan7vuBL._SY450_.jpg

surely those would fit together

tractorhogg
13 minutes ago, C-101plowerpower said:

41RUan7vuBL._SY450_.jpg

I need the coupler in the first picture. It won't  work right hooking a yoke directly to the shaft. I don't think it has enough clearance for one reason. The wheel horse tiller has a male splined shaft, as does the rear PTO shaft, so a female to male coupler is used to join the two, that coupler is what I need or is what I will have made. The problem with altering something or redesigning it, is that often it destroys the original piece, or may not perform as intended, or in my case could damage the PTO shaft or tiller shaft. I'll wait or build. Thanks

Edited by tractorhogg

82Caddy
11 minutes ago, C-101plowerpower said:

41RUan7vuBL._SY450_.jpg

That was exactly what I came to post.  That U-joint should to be serviceable, so I don't know why the coupling end couldn't be changed.  Just a matter of finding the right end to fit the U-joint.  

I don't know how taking the 15 spline end on the sliding drive shaft u-joint is destroying a piece.  It'd be replaced with the one above and the adapter I posted.  The adapter I posted can be purchased new for 60-70$ online.  The 540 rpm u joint piece is available at most Tractor Supply/Fleet Farm stores. I know it's not the part you're looking for but it'd be an option that doesn't involve custom parts to make a tiller work.  

trevor

Hello did this work for you?  I am needing to get a coupler assembly.  Thanks.

tractorhogg
40 minutes ago, trevor said:

Hello did this work for you?  I am needing to get a coupler assembly.  Thanks.

You might be more specific as to whom you are asking this question.