fast88pu

I just picked up a 1987 416-8 with the magnum kohler on it. The hour meter reads 51 hours. Should it have a hobbs hour meter on it ? Because it does not. What are the chances of it being original hours ?

• Like 4

AMC RULES

Humm...        :wwp:

what does the overall condition of the tractor look like Kyle?   

• Like 2

Wishin4a416

Tell Tale signs are the seat, Carb throttle shaft play, steering play and tire wear. If its for real, you just hit the lottery. Good Luck!

All my Horses that have meters are Hobbs.

Edited by Wishin4a416

stevebo

Tractor was left outside for years but from what I saw in pictures (send outside of this post) looks like it could very well me original 

fast88pu

I sent steve photos. Front tires have nubs still on them but it has sat for 20+ years. Tires are dry rotted. Steering is tight. Could you post up the photos for me steve ? Thank you

Tankman

The 416-8, excellent Horse. I don't have much experience with the Kohler Magnums but, I'm thinking great.

Post some pics when you have time. Pic below is my 414-8 Magnum and my 416-8 pre Magnum. Magnum is excellent as is the 16 hp Kohler.

416-414-Plows-www.JPG

Wishin4a416

Yes, if left outside, it can be hard to tell. Hard to believe someone would let a 50 hour tractor set outside but it happens. I have neighbors who when done mowing, they shut it off and there it sits until the next time. Where ever they stopped. And Im talking brand new machines.

• Like 3

wallfish

Hmmm  original battery, no cracks in original looking seat, not much tire wear, if any and the sheet metal appears all straight.

I'm guessing original hours.

But of coarse it's easy to swap those battery covers, add new seat and tires (years ago)

AMC RULES

...and then promptly...    :bitch:

kick it to the curb for 29 years. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

fast88pu

I doubt the original owner did that. The chains have no wear on them.

Wishin4a416

The deck wheels show very little wear also.

fast88pu

The belts do not even have wear

953 nut

The ribbed rubber foot pads and the belt guard don'[t show any ware and tare and the plastic wheel weights aren't all scuffed up, looks good!

c-series don

Ok one of the first things I would to after checking fluids is put a new battery in that baby,turn the key to on and put your ear up to that hour meter and listen for the ticking sound. If it's ticking then it's probably correct given your other discriptions. Even if it's not working it looks like a good score! Good luck 

• Like 1

fast88pu

Thank you. I still have to wash it and see how rough it really is. Then probably a restore on it.

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

I can image any body with a grain of sense leaving a tractor outside without putting a tarp or something over it. You may have found a diamond in the rough. Good luck with the project. 

• Like 1

TDF5G
17 hours ago, Wishin4a416 said:

Yes, if left outside, it can be hard to tell. Hard to believe someone would let a 50 hour tractor set outside but it happens. I have neighbors who when done mowing, they shut it off and there it sits until the next time. Where ever they stopped. And Im talking brand new machines.

I've got some of those neighbors too.  They park under a tree in the yard.

• Like 2

WHX??
14 hours ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

I can image any body with a grain of sense leaving a tractor outside without putting a tarp or something over it.

Sadly they do Jim,  they do... takes all kinds to make a world go 'round. Even a green & yello deserves a cheapy tarp at least.

Nice save anyway fast88 :beer:  'magine you got it for a decent price too....

• Haha 1

Al C.

Good luck with the restoration.  I'll bet with a thorough cleaning of the joints, lube, and a couple oil changes, you have a good chance of having a machine near new.  I have a neighbor who leaves his $300 walk-behind mower parked just outside his garage all year round (this is northeast Ohio!).  Then he complains that they don't make mowers like they use to because he ends up having to buy a new one every couple years.  How do you tell the guy - it isn't the mower that's the problem ?!   

• Like 3

fast88pu

Off to make the donuts, I mean clean the horse today. 

• Like 2

Aldon

Any updates? I am partial to the 16's and a 16 magnum tractor is on my short want list.....

fast88pu

I have only washed it off so far. I have been finishing up my 58RJ restore 

• Like 1

Tankman

Very nice Horse! My opinion, hard to beat the 16 hp Kohler.

The 416-8 GREAT!  :handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 2