whbush

2007 Wheel Horse 60th Anniversary Classic GT

TDF5G
2 hours ago, whbush said:

Rmaynard - that's a good point. The 50th anniversary editions I see are 2006. This 60th anniversary is for sure a 2007. It may be semantics as the way they sell cars a model year ahead. 

I thought the '96s were 50th Anniversary models.  ??

Retired Sparky

Has the owner even given you a starting price?

So you have a low end and a high end. I say offer $950 - $1200.00  and see what the owner says.  If you like it make an offer and see what happens.  There are many here, myself included,  that would love to trailer that beauty home. I'm not looking to fill a stable. Mine is 30yrs. old and a 10 hp.single.   A :wh: newer than what I own that's a twin 20 hp....that would be great.   You know in your heart & mind what's worth.

We're all behind you. B)   

• Like 1

wh500special
2 hours ago, TDF5G said:

I thought the '96s were 50th Anniversary models.  ??

Bob and tdf5g,

Wheel horse wasn't the best at remembering anniversaries.  Probably like many of us here.

the GT-2500 was the first anniversary model and it was a 1981 model.   Commemorating the 1956 incorporation of Wheel Horse as a "proper" company.  

Of course the Ponds began messing around in their garage selling their own tractor creations in 1946.  I guess those first ten years were swept under the rug like a premarital pregnancy in less modern times...

I've heard mixed stories on why the commemorative 420lse was offered in 1986.  One story was it marked the 40th.  Or was it the 30th?  Another said it was the company president who ordered it as a special edition.  I never remembered to ask when I talk to the guy who would know.  

The entire 1996 line were anniversary specials.  They had the gold trim decals and offered the plastic wheel covers with the gold horse head.  And they were back to using 1946 as the base year.   Hence the golden trim.  

Toro has always been EXTREMELY supportive of the Wheel Horse show in PA.   For many years they've been sending a company representative or two to the show. They've donated things for the raffle.  

I dont know know who or how it was pulled off, but the 2006 show was a doozy in that Cecil and Betty Pond were there along with some of their family.   Toro - Ed C. specifically - arranged to donate a brand new 2006 tractor for that show in celebration.  Probably a $4k+ donation from the company who many here chide for beating down our old horses.   I doubt they really expected that donation to spur many sales; it was an appreciative gesture from the company.   

Anyway...

Ed had the graphics department create special decals for that one very special tractor.  It was donated and raffled that day.   It was won by a local (to Gettysburg area) young man who showed/shows it there each year.

Wild Bill was in full press mode promoting and talking up that show.

Later, the marketing people must have thought the decals would be a nice addition to the final run of the 2007 model year, hence the tractors that started this thread.   

So -technically - the 60th anniversary tractors were 2007's, except for one.  

I seem to remember Bob whlpony knowing how many were built.  Maybe he'll see this.  

Steve

• Like 4

roadapples

Very informative, thanks...

Pierrepont

As always, the selling price will reflect the Wants and Needs of the buyer and seller.

TDF5G

Thanks for the info, Steve.  That explains a few things, like the GT-2500.  It sure is confusing.  Sounds like a marketing ploy most likely to sell tractors, I'd say.  Wheel Horse ain't the only one to do it!

123GO

Just a crying shame the Wheel Horse tractors even built as tough as they were, simply got shelved.

What's more of a crying shame is where MTD stands in this field today by building nothing but total junk.

Truly is an assbackwards world we live in now days & its too sad to even think about.

Well' now we know what he really seen.