yzf450motoxrider

520h electrical problems

Save Old Iron

will somebody please tell gravity to start doing its job correctly - apparently it works OK in western NY state

dt.gif

• Like 4

buckrancher

that's the problem with dirt under power it has no sense of direction good thing suspended dirt in the air unlike BS settles to the ground :ychain:

wrightorchid

looks like a bit of BS on the steps there,  :)

• Like 2

cheesegrader

I think you will be happier with sealed individual fuse holders, over the standard open block, especially if you mow with the machine.

An amazing amout of grass and debris ends up around those fuses.  If they aren't sealed, you will eventually have problems.

I've had to do this on all of my 520's except the loader.

I'm sure the PO put that individual holder in because of burnt wiring at the fuse block.

I like Cleat's mod, moving the 30 amp fuse near the starter.  If you are going through all this effort, I think it is worth it.

Other suggestions:

A spare ignition switch.  About 15 bucks.  It will go bad.  In winter.  In the middle of the blizzard of the century.

Replace the 9-pin connector.  Either with replacement molex connectors, or something sealed.

Consider replacing the relay switches with sealed versions as well.

I love my 520's, but I am getting sick of the electrical problems.

25 year old tractors are going to have some issues.  Fixing things as they break is fine, 

but my best tractor is the one where I have finished most of these eelctrical maintenence steps.

Once I retire and have the time, they are all getting the same top to bottom electrical makeover.

• Like 2
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WVHillbilly520H

Glad I found this thread the new to me 520 doesn't show charging or tachometer working...and some wires have been added and or butchered, plus the outright filthy condition of this horse as well as the Dxi...

yzf450motoxrider

figured id give an update. Used the tractor to move 6.5 yards of topsoil. tractor did great. the tach works now. The volt meter reads 11 volts compared the 10 or less it used to be. It turns over much much faster now and starts much easyer. I slso modified the weight box and put deerstone tires on the back and firestone triribs on the front even with around 400lb in the bucket you could easily turn the wheel with one hand.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Does it have a loader on it?

yzf450motoxrider

yes ill take a picture tommarow

• Like 1

yzf450motoxrider

the tractor is much more maneuverable with the tri rib tires and a shorter weight box. As far as its electrical problems I don't have much time to work on the tractor anymore but ill get them all fixed eventually.

IMG_0519.jpg

IMG_0520 (1).jpg

• Like 2

Jerry.Guzzi
On 3/29/2016 at 9:06 AM, cheesegrader said:

I think you will be happier with sealed individual fuse holders, over the standard open block, especially if you mow with the machine.

An amazing amout of grass and debris ends up around those fuses.  If they aren't sealed, you will eventually have problems.

I've had to do this on all of my 520's except the loader.

I'm sure the PO put that individual holder in because of burnt wiring at the fuse block.

I like Cleat's mod, moving the 30 amp fuse near the starter.  If you are going through all this effort, I think it is worth it.

Other suggestions:

A spare ignition switch.  About 15 bucks.  It will go bad.  In winter.  In the middle of the blizzard of the century.

Replace the 9-pin connector.  Either with replacement molex connectors, or something sealed.

Consider replacing the relay switches with sealed versions as well.

I love my 520's, but I am getting sick of the electrical problems.

25 year old tractors are going to have some issues.  Fixing things as they break is fine, 

but my best tractor is the one where I have finished most of these eelctrical maintenence steps.

Once I retire and have the time, they are all getting the same top to bottom electrical makeover.

Thank you. I love my onan's and need a lot of wiring fixed on my 1996 520H.

Horse Newbie
On 3/26/2016 at 1:23 PM, cleat said:

From the factory later 520's passed all current through the 9 pin connector to and from the engine.

The earlier 520's ran the charge wire from the regulator right down to the battery cable on the starter solenoid with a 30 amp inline fuse just before the solenoid connection.

This took the charge load off of the 9 pin.

My machines are now all wired this way.

Wheel horse 520H wire diagram.pdf

What year is this diagram for ?

lynnmor

The above diagram is for early models, about 1988 & 1989.  It does show the wire with the 30 amp fuse that can be added to later models.