Aldon

Hydraulic Puller

Aldon

I just got done wrestling off a drive pulley, fly wheel. Ordinary pullers did fine. Then I spent two days fighting with GT14 hubs. 

Once again the hydraulic puller has risen to one of the best purchases I've made this past year. 

It took all 10 tons of muscle as well as heat and Kroil along with my own stubbornness but the hubs lost the fight again.

image.thumb.jpeg.5c99e652197bc3e3af023c9image.thumb.jpeg.a26a704ade030e67e408ef1image.thumb.jpeg.0372bb7429cb10d38df5cc3image.thumb.jpeg.1b3dbdfd5025f95fa57293e

• Like 6

squonk

EEK!! Get that Fram off of there! :teasing-poke:

• Like 4

Aldon
11 minutes ago, squonk said:

EEK!! Get that Fram off of there! :teasing-poke:

Indeed. That's an old pic. It's the parts tractor being disassembled. BTW, that tranny is toast. 

I may be able to use it for rebuild.

• Like 1

953 nut
40 minutes ago, Aldon said:

that tranny is toast.

If you want to swap out the Hydro-Gear pump and output unit you are not limited to finding another GT-14, The Charger and Electro Sundstrand 90-2046 can be used to replace the 90-2062 with a few modifications. The 2046 is a good deal more plentiful and probably hasn't been abused as much as the GT-14.

Here is a bit of information on how I did it.

• Like 4

ztnoo

Congrats Aldon!!!

We both know those GT 14 hubs can be sheer hell!

wavetowel2.gif.47f5505016fbb2e67eb8b2248

btw, woodruff axle keys can be lots of chuckles,too.

953 nut, thanks for the tranny link.

That needs further study on my part.:handgestures-thumbupright:

• Like 3

Aldon

Bought a parts C105 for some brackets I needed. But it's in the way so I had to tear it down to clear my workspace.

It takes longer to assemble and break down the puller than it does to pull hubs.

Totally amazed that it took me so long to bite the bullet and buy this tool!!!

image.jpegimage.jpegimage.jpeg

• Like 3

mikekot3

Thanks for sharing your tool.

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Aldon , where did you purchase your puller. I see hub removal in my future and I might as well be prepared.

Edited by elcamino/wheelhorse

Aldon
6 minutes ago, elcamino/wheelhorse said:

Aldon , where did you purchase your puller. I see hub removal in my future and I might as well be prepared.

I have Amazon Prime and during the past year I have saved a ton on shipping. Way more than paid for the Prime membership. As such, no surprise, but I purchased the hydraulic Puller on Amazon.

elcamino/wheelhorse

Thanks. I may as well start saving my pennies. It is easier to get new tools by the wife if they are not delivered by Fedx or Ups.

• Like 2

pfrederi

I got mine today...neat tool can't wait to use it.  However, who the heck wrote the instructions.  i have run in to Chianglish directions before but these are the worst I ever seen/tried to read.. 

• Like 1

Aldon

Agreed. I only glanced at them a moment and realized I would be more confused using them than just figuring it out on my own. Mine is weaker than when new. Need to figure out how to add fluid to top it off. But I have pulled 3 or 4 sets of hubs and 2 or 3 flywheels. If it was to die next time I use it, I figure it was still money well spent:-)