Xearl

Snow thrower

Xearl

Is it possible to remove the augers without removing the auger shafts and gear box from the blower ? Now that I don't need the blower anymore I would like to paint the inside of the housing . This is a two stage on my 523dxi .

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair

Mind if I tag along on your post and ask how to remove the gear box and augers? My gear box is leaking, so I assume I have to at least pull the shafts to get it apart. Assuming it comes apart, I haven't looked.

But yeah, I need to build a giant e-tank and put my whole blower in it, strip it and paint it. It is covered in rust. PO left it (and the GT22) outside in the weather. 

Xearl

Not at all Brian .  It would be nice to get an answer from someone who has done this job before . I can see if you take the side off it looks like the next step is remove the auger . I don't know if the shaft and auger will pull out of the gear box or not .  To be continued .Thunder and lightning .   ED

• Like 1

cleat

Take the side plates off, remove the auger shear bolts, then slide out the augers.

Make note of (or take a picture) so you put them back on correctly.

Augers may be rusted on. Mine were not on either blower that I rebuilt last year.

My blowers are the 2 stage on a 520 but I think they are basically the same except for the mount.

56ea9863b0f29_WheelHorsesnowteam20153.th56ea98695b787_WheelHorsesnowteam20154.th

• Like 7

Xearl

Thanks Cleat , With the augers off you would be left with the gear  housing with the shafts . What I want know is can I leave the housing with the shafts like this ? Maybe I would tie a,couple of lines to the back of the blower for support . With the augers off there should be enough room to clean and paint the inside of the housing. 

cleat

With the augers off, there is not a lot of weight. I put mine together just one part at a time and everything seemed to hold itself up OK.

• Like 1

Xearl

Thanks Cleat .  Quite an impressive lineup of Horses . Clean machines ! By the way I just noticed the angle iron on top of the plow blade . What a great idea . I straightened mine and added a new cutting edge but now I will add that feature .

Edited by Xearl
More info .

WNYPCRepair

I'll have to get it that far and see if I can figure out how to get the gear box out with the augers off.

Thanks

Xearl

I would assume that once you are that far all you have to do is split the box ,mine has bolts holding it together .    http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/snow-blowers-snow-throwers/79366-toro-44-two-stage-snowthrower-for-5xi-garden-tractors-sn-8900001-8900500-1998/worm-gear-assembly/

Edited by Xearl
more info

WNYPCRepair
17 minutes ago, Xearl said:

I would assume that once you are that far all you have to do is split the box ,mine has bolts holding it together .    http://www.partstree.com/parts/toro/snow-blowers-snow-throwers/79366-toro-44-two-stage-snowthrower-for-5xi-garden-tractors-sn-8900001-8900500-1998/worm-gear-assembly/

Mine must have also, I just don't remember. I haven't seen it a lot this winter. :)

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Hey guys, I am going to follow along to. All ways wanted a xi 2 stage.

Btw, Cleat. You do and always did a quality job on your stuff.

Glenn

• Like 1

Xearl

Hey we may get snow ! I'm not going to get my hopes up though .  So far maybe 4 inches or so this whole year but I will not take the blower apart until I know for sure .  I still have the plow on the 518XI although I would like to try the blower this year .

cleat
On 3/17/2016 at 8:55 AM, Xearl said:

Thanks Cleat .  Quite an impressive lineup of Horses . Clean machines ! By the way I just noticed the angle iron on top of the plow blade . What a great idea . I straightened mine and added a new cutting edge but now I will add that feature .

Mine came that way. It adds strength but it's main purpose is to hold on a thick plastic liner covering the entire front of the blade.

This liner is 1/2" thick and heavy. When I rebuild the blade this summer I will decide whether to leave it on or not. Angle iron will stay.

56ebfd092f92e_Bladeliner1.thumb.jpg.2a86

56ebfd947ba6e_Bladeliner2.thumb.jpg.95b9

Edited by cleat

Xearl

I have worked my plow way beyond its intended use and the result is bending it back . I straightened it and also welded the gaps along the bottom and put better cutting edge on it . I think that angle iron would make it a lot stronger. I think owning  a snow bower  will eliminate most of my plow problems .

cleat

I use this blade very infrequently because of having multiple snowblowers.

Blade is handy for a quick cleanup or with wet, heavy snow that snow blowers do not like very well.

Forest Road

I did a complete tear down on my 2 stage a few years ago. Had it sandblasted and painted with some industrial finishes. Replaced all the bearings etc. 

My only regret would be with the bushings at the end of the auger. A few members here have replaced them w greasable bearings. They're available at NAPA, TSC, etc. long term I believe they'd be a wise investment. Doubt they're anymore expensive than Toro replacements.

Xearl

To late for me I already bought them .  If next year is like this one they will last forever ,no snow . I wish I had the time to do a complete tear down but I have to many things going on .  I will however clean and paint the inside of the blower housing and replace the bushings . I 'm debating if I should borrow my friends sand blaster . His works with a power washer ,no dust .The one thing I did do was motorize the shoot and deflector . Now when I go in the shop I make the shoot go up and down and left and right just to watch my handy work . Maybe it will snow next year .

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Earl, how about some pictures of this project? If possible, it's nice following along. Ty

Glenn

Xearl

20160305_103940.thumb.jpg.17cecebb56722as

20160319_110737.jpg

20160225_152048.jpg

20160303_152018.jpg

20160309_155335.jpg

20160309_152959.jpg

• Like 1

JERSEYHAWG /  Glenn

Thanks earl,  I always liked that big azz 2 stage on the xi. Mean lookin and means business. Plus the electric stuff you did looks super duper.

Glenn

Xearl

518Xi and 523DXI   - I was supposed to sell the 518 when I got the %23 Diesel but ---------  . ED   The Xearl comes from t

he singing group I used to be with  "The Earls "

20160319_160624.jpg