botzitaliano

D250 with Moldboard plow

botzitaliano

Hey all, just got my moldboard plow adapted and hooked up to my 3 point hitch, and plowed my first plot ever. To all of you who have experience with his have a little pitty on me, as it was my first time and I have no prior experience, just a new found passion for home farming. I've attached a video of me making a few passes(don't mind my wife yelling at my dogs, who were trying to investigate what I was doing). Could any of you who have experience shed a little light on how I'm doing and if I'm not doing it right, what I'd need to adjust to do it correctly. When I set the depth of the plow I jacked up the left side of the tractor and put a 6x6 under each wheel. Then dropped the plow down to where it was level with the ground, then raised the back up one inch higher than the front.  As always any and all info and insight is greatly appreciated. Thanks. 

• Like 2

russellmc301

looks like fun :)

• Like 1

squonk

Looks like to me you need to have you entire rear hitch to go a bit lower. 

• Like 2

953 nut

:text-coolphotos:   Love to see :wh: in action. That plow didn't slow the "D" down one bit. If you use the little crank thingy :thingy: to lower the plow a couple more inches and drop the disk down to cut the turf you will have better results. I generally plow in one direction and let it set for a couple weeks then plow at ninety degrees to the first time prior to disking.

• Like 1

botzitaliano

Ok cool I'll give that a shot. Thanks.  Yea in watching the video over it looks like the plow should be a little deeper. 

Lagersolut
25 minutes ago, botzitaliano said:

Ok cool I'll give that a shot. Thanks.  Yea in watching the video over it looks like the plow should be a little deeper. 

I can't tell from your video but that is a " Brinly "  plow from the looks of it .

Your plow isn't  " floating "  properly - if the front hitch of your plow looks like this,  you need to be in this hole

2uorxqv.jpg

botzitaliano

Not sure if it is a brinly plow or not. Bought it off craigslist and there's no markings on it. But I do have the same front hitch that you have and I believe I have it in the same mounting holes as the one you have in the picture. Can you explain what you mean but "floating" please. 

Lagersolut
6 hours ago, botzitaliano said:
6 hours ago, botzitaliano said:

Not sure if it is a brinly plow or not. Bought it off craigslist and there's no markings on it. But I do have the same front hitch that you have and I believe I have it in the same mounting holes as the one you have in the picture. Can you explain what you mean but "floating" please. 

After I post this I'm going to go out and hook up my plow and include pictures - By floating I mean the plow should follow the tractor and be almost vertical - I'm thinking you're in the wrong hole because the share and moldboard are at about a 20-30 degree angle to the furrow - the picture I posted has a RED  arrow pointing to to the hole your plow hitch needs to be in - take the bolt out above that hole/setting the arrow is pointing at and  ( may have to loosen the other ) move the hitch until that empty hole is up in the beams and put the bolt through it ......

I'm off to get some pics - it will make this much easier .

• Like 1

Lagersolut
7 hours ago, botzitaliano said:

Move the front hitch on the plow in this position

xbzllv.jpg

Mounted on the tractor the plow will look like this with the share adjustment on the top turned all the way in to the cut/plow position - I don't use the sod cutter on mine , one I don't like it ...it's my personal opinion the plow isn't heavy enough to sink it and two I'm not in sod - hasn't been on the plow in 20 years .

2rysx79.jpg

Here's the plow sunk in - I just plowed the garden last week so I had to hunt a spot to do this plus we had rain for 2 days it's really wet .....notice how the share and moldboard are in the ground almost even with the furrow . Was knocking ground back down in the furrow taking these pics

33wv1w3.jpg

2mebuaf.jpg

2s8jxbk.jpg

To the right of the tractor is the garden Wheel Horse has been plowing for 20 + years - after you get it set right they really plow nice for gardens .

30w44qx.jpg

• Like 3

botzitaliano

Ok I will definitely try switching it to the next hole.   How did you set your depth?? In a perfect world what I did should have worked, with jacking it up on the 6x6s.  I appreciate all the info you are sharing with me. Thanks a bunch. 

• Like 1

gwest_ca

Curious to know why you raised the rear of the plow 1" after you had it set level to the ground? If it was floating it should have sucked it in quite deep.

Garry

• Like 1

Phatboy

Looks good buddy , how ever the piece of angle iron that comes out the back of the plow is called the "Ground Share " and it is attached to "The Frog" it needs to be level with the ground.. So when you put the left side up on your blocks 6" if thats how deep ya wanna go the ground share needs to be laying flat and level with the ground,, set that up and you will be fine !! Have fun ,, im going to a plow day in butler county PA, if you are close to there you should come its gonna be fun,, im bringing my 520H.. Let me know..

Edited by Phatboy
  • Like 1

botzitaliano

The reason I raised the back of the plow up 1", is because I read on some forum that that was the way to do it. After hearing you guys and watching a few more YouTube videos. Looks like I got some bad info lol.  I just made the adjustments you all suggested and man, What a difference. Now it really digs and turns the soil over really nicely. Really appreciate all your help and input. You guys are the best. Thank you. And I've never heard of plow day before. What's that all about??

• Like 2