gt4

wheelhorse restore

gt4

What is your definition of a restoration ?  is it every last nut and bolt, sandblasting or E tank, rattle can paint,or custom paint job,complete tear down or just partial.Just wondering how far you go to call it a restoration and how you would go about it.

• Like 2

Aldon

Beauty is in eye of the beholder.

Definitions will vary.

Full restoration tends to be full tear down. The so called nuts and bolts.

Refresh is often defined as partial or mechanical restoration.

I am doing a resto-mod. Total tear down but making improvements and design changes that enhance the overall good design. 

• Like 7

can whlvr

wwell every one has a different opinion in this but I consider a restoration a complete tear down,everything off the frame,cleaned up in what ever way you have to do it,sand blast,etank,sanding,rust removal,etc,but theres nothing wrong with what I call a freshen up,clean and paint,i have done tractors and saved all the decals,tape em off and go from there

• Like 7

tractorhogg

I favor the previous definitions of a restoration, but I like other ways to go as well, even those that do not involve alot of paint.

• Like 2

slammer302

Everyone has their own definition of a restoration. I've seen people spray paint over the decals,steering wheel and tires and say its restored. In my eyes a restored horse is when someone takes the time to make something look proper ie. put effort into the project.

• Like 6

tractorhogg
5 minutes ago, slammer302 said:

Everyone has their own definition of a restoration. I've seen people spray paint over the decals,steering wheel and tires and say its restored. In my eyes a restored horse is when someone takes the time to make something look proper ie. put effort into the project.

Well we know what isn't a restoration don't we, lol, I've seen a few of those listed as "Full Restoration a Few Years Ago" yeah right. 

• Like 3

Phatboy

To me a full restoration means just that "Full" ,,, meaning engine refresh , trans, all mechanical parts and pieces ,, paint , nuts and bolts,, to me anything less is a "Refresh" touch up paint ,, replacing missing items ,, replacing some parts to warn for proper opperation.. :auto-biker: Just my 2 cents worth..

• Like 3

JPWH

Due to the condition of my 854 I have had to replace or repair almost every part literally. Some I have had to make and some were purchased. I have done all the work myself with the exception of the motor. My son helped me tear it down and prep it for a rebuild kit.

It will by no means be what I would call a restore but it is a total rebuild. The important thing is I have saved a :wh: from the scrap yard and I have had a lot of fun doing it.

Have fun and do what you want.

• Like 9

953 nut

restore

play
verb  re·store  \ri-ˈstȯr\
Popularity: Top 30% of words

Simple Definition of restore

• : to give back (someone or something that was lost or taken) : to return (someone or something)

• : to put or bring (something) back into existence or use

• : to return (something) to an earlier or original condition by repairing it, cleaning it, etc.

:confusion-confused:Even Merriam-Webster leaves this open to individual interpretation. As long as you are pleased with the results, that is what is important.

• Like 5

DennisThornton

The phrase I think I hear most is "Restored to original condition".  I tend to take that as meaning that it would be very difficult to distinguish it from a new one.  But on the other hand, I suppose if someone had a Frankin' Horse and managed to located and replace all the "Frankin" parts with originals they too might say that it is now "Original" and I suppose they restored it to that condition.  Perhaps "Restored to like new original condition" would be less vague.

• Like 5

tractorhogg

I like your thinking 953 Nut. I would however say this about definitions given by a dictionary. While the dictionary can accurately define words, it doesn't consider the paradigm in which the word exists in the real world, because that isn't the job of defining a word. A definition of a word is just part of its meaning which also includes the paradigm in which the word lives and understanding that meaning is done by the acceptance of the framework by a group. Merriam-Webster may define the word "blowout" as an easy one sided victory among other definitions, but that one word doesn't really define or explain the game or the feeling. But you are correct, "as long as you are pleased with the results, that is what is important".

• Like 4

Tankman

My "restoration" doesn't amount to  "like new." Of course, fluids, fuel lines, lots more including sanding, paint and Terry's decals.

SS hardware and Never-Seez. Added the dial-a-height adjust, needed that for snow plowin'.

Fine machines, working Horses!

Save the show Stallions for the artists! Some of the show machines are

super! Thanks for saving the Horses!

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 4

DennisThornton

I see a lot of what I think could truly be called "Restored to like new condition" here on this site but I think I also see what call be called "Revived to working condition".  I'm happy to see both and while I've done a few of the one I've never and most like will never do even one of the other!  

• Like 1

Tankman

Found this '90 520-8 lonely sitting outside of a rural barn. The poor neglected Horse!

Grandson and I took it home for some TLC. Now we're spoiling this hard workin' Stallion.

Now the Horse has shiny baby moons, donuts, muffler "bling", new seat, more and frequent wax on, wax off. :handgestures-thumbupright:

520-8-Rt_Side.jpg

Edited by Tankman
  • Like 3

TDF5G

How about refresh, recondition, rebuild, repaint?

An original unrestored tractor might be called a preservation. 

• Like 4

Retired Sparky

Wow, that's a lot of discussion. I think everyone has a valid point. Here's my :twocents-02cents:.  I don't own something that's was found by the side of the road and winched into a trailer carted home. The guys that do that have in my mind are unbelievable talented.  I bought my horse brand new 30yrs ago.  So it's not a 76' 160, it's a 86' 310 and I love it.  So last fall there were parts that didn't look show room fresh. So I dismantled as much as I could and sanded and repainted the old girl. So what did I do??? I restored the paint.  Over the years when the tractor broke I can't fix it cause,  I'm in some "Rust Belt Town" working 6-10' s to put bread on the table. You see, I don't own a show horse I own a go horse.  Yesterday I was out back cutting standing dead trees to heat my shop some day.  Coming home I was loaded. I crossed a little water and stuck it good with chains.  The old girl sat there jumping up and down in the mud.  When I got home we both needed a bath.  Everyone's horse is what we want it to be. I think we all agree on that. No matter what state of restoration it's in.  B)

• Like 5

c-series don

I have to agree, it's what makes you happy. I have some unrestored workers, semi-restored workers, and some 100% restored that I only take to shows or to put out in the yard and just look at!! Cecil Pond told me "It didn't look that nice when it left the factory" in reference to my c-121 Auto. Problem is now I can't use it for work. That is why we all need to have a mix of tractors, depending on the task at hand. Restored or not if it makes you happy it's a good tractor. Just my 2 cents.

• Like 3