DownHome

my 1st Wheel horse

DownHome

This morning I picked up a 855. Seller said it's been sitting for a while.  I charged the battery up. Turn the key the engine seems to run. Slow though.  I was actually able to get it in gear and it kinda creeps along. I have a feeling it's something with the car or fuel pump? I'm a newbie here and would love some help. Thanks in advance. 

• Like 5

953 nut

:WRS:          855 is a great :wh:, my first was a 1055, same tractor but 10 HP. Since it has been sitting for a while you will want to get a kit for the carburetor and clean it up and clean up the points and plug for starters.

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

• Like 4

AMC RULES

:WRS:

ACman

:text-welcomeconfetti: . :wwp:

SylvanLakeWH

:text-welcomeconfetti: 

In addition to new plugs, points etc. make sure you run fresh gas - from your post it sounds like it was sitting a while...

• Like 1

JPWH

:WRS: I would also change the transmission fluid and the oil.

• Like 1

DownHome

thanks for the advice everyone. i get up a picture soon.

Daddy Don

This may be your first but won' be your last. Welcome to the big time.:WRS: 

tractorhogg

Another victim falls to the red side, BWAAAAHAAAAAA. Welcome and lets see pictures!

Brian01

Welcome! Pictures would be awsome....I wish I could find a 855 or 1055 just laying around lol

roadapples

DennisThornton

You and your tractor have come to the right place!  You'll have it prancing around in no time!

Digger 66

Welcome aboard ! 

KC9KAS

DownHome

Where is a good place to buy parts for the Kohler K181S engine? I just want to do a tune up on it to try and get it running properly at this point.

953 nut

NAPA has a full line of Kohler parts, also Tractor Supply caries tune up parts.

DownHome

So I'm starting to get into the tune up of this K181s Engine. This is a Carter Model N #22. I know there are "rebuild kits" for these carbs but I'm a bit concerned, so far the choke plate is stiff as a board and when I took off the float bowl this is what I've found. Thoughts?

CarterN22.jpg

roadapples

I can`t believe it ran long enough to get to this point..:eek:

• Like 2

DownHome

I was surprised as well. I bought this tractor on Saturday morning so I can't be blamed for this mess. So.....where do I go from here?

woodchuckfarmer

I think Id look for an aftermarket carb.

953 nut

I have had good results with soaking gunked up carburetors using lacquer thinner or acetone. A bit of PB Blaster will probably free up the choke. :twocents-02cents: If it won't clean up then @woodchuckfarmer's suggestion would be plan B.

roadapples

+ 1, ... a rebuild kit is about 12 bucks, and that's assuming that`s all it needs. For about another $40 you can have a new carb....

can whlvr

wow that's really gunked up,i know some guys use berrymans carb cleaner and soak for a day or 2,but that carb is really bad,so its a flip of the coin,new carb or spend near that on cleaners and rebuild kits

• Like 2