JAinVA

Steering wheel upgrade

JAinVA

I have decided to upgrade the steering wheel on my 310-8.I purchased a two spoke 15" wheel.Like the steering wheels on my 520 and 416h the plastic rim is slick.Wearing gloves in the winter makes gripping the rim harder.Before I installed the wheel I sprayed a liberal coat of rustoleum bedliner on the rim.The color matches well and you don't know its been done until

you grab the wheel.I am going to do this to all my other two spoke wheels.Cheap,easy to touch up and very effective.Luck,JAinVA

• Like 2

elcamino/wheelhorse

What no pictures ? Your know everyone need pictures.

• Like 5

JAinVA

Jim,

I can go out and get a shot if you like.I will be posting many more pictures in the future.My computer is old enough that once Red Square updated it can't upload photos.

I have to down load to my wife's laptop and post from there.I have been informed that she is going to get me a new Dell soon.Then the fun starts.I'll see if I can't post a few shots tonight          

JimAnderson

Gloucester Va

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

Just pulling your leg. I am lucky if I can figure how to use the camera. Then the loading to the computer and them finding the _ _ _ _ pictures. Posting to anywhere is an effort. O well enough complaints .

JAinVA

Jim,

To late now.I got the shots.The thing that surprised me was how hard it is to tell that the rim was sprayed when you look at it.I also got some shots of the 8" front wheel upgrades I mentioned in another post. JAinVA

JimAnderson

Gloucester Va

elcamino/wheelhorse

I would like to upgrade to 8 inch rims also. One of these days my ship may come with a dollar or two. Will be glad when bills settle down some. Still getting bills from my wife's operation last November. 

Retired Sparky

I like the Rustoleum bedliner idea on your steering wheel.   I'm sure that would work on a snow shovel handle. That idea was golden Pal. 

B)

• Like 1

JAinVA

Jim,

First picture is the 8" wheel upgrade.

Second picture is the steering wheel, as you can tell you can't see the coating

Sparky,

Third picture shows how the coating looks on things you don't want to slip out of your hands.

Luck!

JAinVA

F 1458.JPG

X 0511.JPG

D 1460.JPG

Edited by JAinVA
pictures did not display in the order I uploaded them
  • Like 5

elcamino/wheelhorse

I like the way the coating looks on the steering wheel. 8 inch wheels are nice. We need to start calling you Danger Man with that bow saw. My Dad almost lost his ankle using one. I think after he healed from the cut , he carried the box saw to the scrap yard and watch them crush it.

• Like 3

Retired Sparky
31 minutes ago, JAinVA said:

Jim,

First picture is the 8" wheel upgrade.

Second picture is the steering wheel, as you can tell you can't see the coating

Sparky,

Third picture shows how the coating looks on things you don't want to slip out of your hands.

Luck!

JAinVA

F 1458.JPG

X 0511.JPG

D 1460.JPG

Are you saying those front tires are 16''- 6.50''x8''.  I do like the look. Can I ask what the wheels and rim cost?? 

JAinVA

Sparky,

I got these tires and rims off from E-bay for $57.00 delivered.I was lucky on this one but E-bay can be good source. Like Craigslist you have to spend time looking,

compare prices and pounce when the bargains show up.By the way Craigslist scored the 310 for $200.00

Jim,

I grew up seeing bow saws used and there were always one or two hanging off the back of pulp trucks heading to West Point.I don't use Salems Revenge,as thats my wifes saw but love the bows on my Stihls.Everyone who sees my bowsaws has similar stories about how dangerous they are but they have far less exposed chain then any of my bar saws.Luck,JAinVA

elcamino/wheelhorse

$200.00 for the 310 man what deal ,how long ago was that? I know all about West Point, heard many stories when Dad got home from WWII he made a living( if you can call it a living) cutting pulp wood with a 2 man cross cut saw and used a horse to drag it out of the woods to the truck where he and his helper and the horse loaded the wood.

JAinVA

Jim

This 310 was on Craigs list less than six months ago in Richmond.Everything on it works but no deck and the engine needs to be bored and rebuilt.I have always been in the woods and have seen mules used to log and been around sawmills and loggers.I built a band mill twenty years ago and my kids have got see

how trees get turned into lumber.I am disappointed that a search for pictures of pulp wood logging in the south don't appear on the net.Just a memory I guess.

JimAnderson

elcamino/wheelhorse

Man that is an excellent price , I have been looking for a 400 series and found one between Lynchburg and Bedford but can only contact seller by phone. Price looks good but that is one long drive for some something that maybe a dog. Description is a little iffy. Saw a C-145 but again phone number only and iffy description. I know I am being picky but I only want a manual trans.  Just like them better. O well one day :wh: will appear maybe at the big show.

Pulp wood , small towns ( Richmond has gotten way to big for me) and hardware stores memories of the past. 

bds1984

I like your trick to freshen up your steering wheel with the bed liner, I will definitely try that on my mutt 520.  I was on the hunt last summer for a good steering wheel and settled upon one off a Toro Groundsmaster 325.
Never mind the Toro logo, it has a proper logo WH cap in her now.     

20150706_115522.jpg

• Like 2

JAinVA

Jim,

I have had the chance to talk face to face with a number of Red Square members and they all agree you gotta travel to get what you want.The missus and I drove to High

Point NC to get a tiller attachment and it was worth the trip.Tines were like new.Last year we went to Fairfax to pick up a 650 hour garage kept 416H.This machine had been

waxed and had a 48 inch deck with new blades and a 10 yard cart.For $400.00 .I am still grinning.The 520 in my avatar came from eastern Pa.Sometimes the trip on its own

is the  reward.I look for pictures and if that doesn't come no trip.Luck,JAinVA

• Like 1

elcamino/wheelhorse

I am like you a picture is worth a 1000 words, but I like feed back from the seller on some questions ( general condition of tires does it smoke etc) and not the answer you will have to come see it or I am selling for ( who ever ) and I can't answer your questions. Maybe I am just a grumpy old man with back problems which car rides of any distance kill me. I find one when I am not really looking. Some thing will  jump out at me. 

Are you coming to the Big Show?

roadapples
3 hours ago, bds1984 said:

I like your trick to freshen up your steering wheel with the bed liner, I will definitely try that on my mutt 520.  I was on the hunt last summer for a good steering wheel and settled upon one off a Toro Groundsmaster 325.
Never mind the Toro logo, it has a proper logo WH cap in her now.     

20150706_115522.jpg

That wheel would look good in my truck.. looks great on your tractor, very sporty..:auto-driving:

JC 1965

Very nice, thanks for sharing.    :thumbs2: