Phatboy

Height adjust for brinly plow ok ?

Phatboy

Hey guys pretty soon my Brinly plow will be here so in the mean time im trying to learn more , on set up etc... And was wondering if your brinly doesnt have a depth wheel on it can you use the height adjust to set the depth or is that to much strain on the lift cable ? Like i wish i could set clevis lift without a cable bit havent figured a way yet,, i have a brand new one i got with rock shaft, just not sure on how strong they are and if it can be used with the brinly or just for deck height ,, any thoughts guys ?

Edited by Phatboy

elcamino/wheelhorse

Are you referring to how deep the plow will go in the ground ? There is an adjustment on the plow to adjust depth. The plow that you are getting was used by my father from 1972 to 1991. The clevis hitch that I currently have on my 310-8 came off of the tractor that pulled the plow for all those years.

• Like 1

chorusguy

Right.  The wheel is just to cut sod.  The angle of the plow share sets the depth of the plowing.  If you need a cable one of our members makes them and they are very nice.  I can't remember who it is, might be wheelhorseman@hotmail but not sure.  I found him by looking for a cable on eBay and sent him a message and he then contacted me via this forum.  Great guy to work with and will want to know specifics of your tractor as the dimensions are varied depending on the model.  Good luck

Phatboy
1 hour ago, chorusguy said:

Right.  The wheel is just to cut sod.  The angle of the plow share sets the depth of the plowing.  If you need a cable one of our members makes them and they are very nice.  I can't remember who it is, might be wheelhorseman@hotmail but not sure.  I found him by looking for a cable on eBay and sent him a message and he then contacted me via this forum.  Great guy to work with and will want to know specifics of your tractor as the dimensions are varied depending on the model.  Good luck

I have already bought a new cable from him and have the rock shaft etc... My question was if the heght adjust knob could be used to set the depth of the brinly also,, i habe watched many videos on youtube on how to set it up,, but "some" of the guys used a metal wheel to control the depth also,, so i was wondering if the cable on height adjust was strong enough to do that as well,,or would it eventually just break the cable,, if so when i get my brinly i will adapt a metal wheel for that purpose,, but would be nice if height adjust could sub for that as well..this bottom plow stuff is all new to me so i am just trying to figure it all out,, my friend elcamino has been and continues to be a great help in this cant thank him enough,,

Edited by Phatboy

chorusguy

I'm a little confused. Is this a hydraulic lift?  Anyway. The cable lift has very little travel. Maybe just a couple of inches.  You will need to adjust the cable/hitch adjustment to be able to lift the plow high enough transport the plow without it digging into the ground.  It is a bit tricky.  I had a hard time adjusting mine and if you have uneven ground you will probably have to go up hills at an angle to keep the tip of the plow share from digging in when the tractor begins going up hill. 

Again, the angle adjustment on the plow will set the depth that the plow will dig.  I struggled to get mine set up but got some good information from some members in the attached thread

I think once you get the plow and start fiddling with it you will quickly figure it out.

C-101plowerpower
3 hours ago, Phatboy said:

I have already bought a new cable from him and have the rock shaft etc... My question was if the heght adjust knob could be used to set the depth of the brinly also,, i habe watched many videos on youtube on how to set it up,, but "some" of the guys used a metal wheel to control the depth also,, so i was wondering if the cable on height adjust was strong enough to do that as well,,or would it eventually just break the cable,, if so when i get my brinly i will adapt a metal wheel for that purpose,, but would be nice if height adjust could sub for that as well..this bottom plow stuff is all new to me so i am just trying to figure it all out,, my friend elcamino has been and continues to be a great help in this cant thank him enough,,

you can use the deck hight adjustment know for a depth stop, no problem. as for the rest of the plow related stuff, make sure the shear is nice and bright and not rusted, if it is rusted clean it up with a flapdisc or something.

• Like 1

gwest_ca

You don't use the lift to adjust the plowing depth. You adjust the suck of the plow by lowering the toe of the plow to go deeper or raise it for a shallower furrow.

The way I start out is to place the tractor's left front and rear wheels on blocks equal to the depth you want to plow. If it is 5" sit the left wheels/tires on 5" blocks. Lower the plow to the floor and adjust it so the bottom of the plowshare (front) and landslide (rear) sits flat on the floor. That gets you real close to the adjustment you want for a 5" deep furrow. After the first pass your right wheels travel in the bottom of the furrow which will be about 5" deep. Try it for a few feet. Now you can fine tune it. To go deeper tip the toe of the plow down a bit. If too deep raise the toe a bit. The plow will pull it's self into the ground until the landslide prevents it from going deeper. That is called adjusting the suck and once you get it set you won't need to change it unless you want a different depth or different soil conditions change the way it behaves.

Mine is on a 3-point hitch which gets used for other applications so I have to use the blocks each time it is hooked up to get the top arm adjusted correctly.

Garry

• Like 7

Phatboy

Thanks guys for all the replys,, elcamino ( the one im getting my Brinly from) him and his dad probly have it set perfect,,i just wanna be as familur as possible when i do the plow day may 7th,, i wanna do red proud and fly threw those furrows ,, can't let them JD guys see me struggling lol ,, got to show them whats what lol...and i know that all depends on good plow set up,,, like i said elcamino's dad used it for 20 years so its probly spot on perfect !!!  P.S. Is it May yet lol !!!

Edited by Phatboy

C-101plowerpower
12 hours ago, Phatboy said:

Thanks guys for all the replys,, elcamino ( the one im getting my Brinly from) him and his dad probly have it set perfect,,i just wanna be as familur as possible when i do the plow day may 7th,, i wanna do red proud and fly threw those furrows ,, can't let them JD guys see me struggling lol ,, got to show them whats what lol...and i know that all depends on good plow set up,,, like i said elcamino's dad used it for 20 years so its probly spot on perfect !!!  P.S. Is it May yet lol !!!

it may be spot on, but only for their soil conditions, your results may vary