TDF5G

VINTAGE PICS

Jesse
On 2/19/2016 at 12:44 PM, TDF5G said:

Yes, that's possible.   Or the color photo may be a different tractor, maybe a 1965, if his leg was just not in the way!   Some keen eyed enthusiasts here will tell us.    Dad traded tractors every few years through the sixties and seventies up until he retired, and he always put light kits on them.  He became friend's with the local WH dealer and he bought vehicles from Dad every few years also.

He took pride in all his vehicles including the WHs.  I remember getting yelled at;  "don't scratch it, or get my feet off the seat, quit fooling with those knobs, leave that alone," etc. :rolleyes:  The dealer always like getting his trade-ins.  They would sell quickly he said. 

I wrote my name in the dust on the hood of dad's 310-8. I only did that once.

• Haha 4

Mr Magoo
On 2/17/2019 at 2:39 PM, AMC RULES said:

Image result for vintage wheel horse posterImage result for vintage wheel horse posterRelated image

The second photo is from the town I live in, Franklin, IN!

• Like 6

PeacemakerJack

This is a great thread! Love the historical pics as well as the “personal history” pics. It is so awesome @TDF5G that you and your family not only so lovingly cared for your machines but that you also took pictures of them/ with riders.  I know that you have seen the pictures that my mom took of us with the 875 elsewhere but I’ll include one here just because it fits so well with this thread...

B5579DB3-92B0-4450-B4A7-253C55672662.jpeg.b504c215eafda736885cddd195321bfa.jpeg

My dad and I in the late 1970’s

86B1448A-BA9F-4837-B835-F82747D937C1.jpeg.fad37dd6658c94c7e712719c92fec637.jpeg

Dad and I last fall at JC PD IV.  I’m a little big to sit on his lap while working land these days😂. I graduated to my own ride!

• Like 3
  • Excellent 1
  • Heart 2

TDF5G
2 hours ago, PeacemakerJack said:

This is a great thread! Love the historical pics as well as the “personal history” pics. It is so awesome @TDF5G that you and your family not only so lovingly cared for your machines but that you also took pictures of them/ with riders.  I know that you have seen the pictures that my mom took of us with the 875 elsewhere but I’ll include one here just because it fits so well with this thread...

My dad and I in the late 1970’s

Dad and I last fall at JC PD IV.  I’m a little big to sit on his lap while working land these days😂. I graduated to my own ride!

Thanks.  I grew up around Wheel Horses and I have some great memories.  My Dad took great care of his tractors just like he did with his vehicles.  I remember visiting the local WH dealer with my Dad when I was a kid.  I wish had some pics of that! :) 

• Like 2

PeacemakerJack

3D801229-0546-4FAA-AF78-EDD16549E044.jpeg.fe466fae90b932d60b24d30bd2b1d63a.jpeg

We picked up a GT-14 tiller and a Brinly Cat O plow from a guy about 4 years ago who was clearing out the last of his collection.  When I told him it was going to my youngest son, he went into the garage and came out with this framed ad and gave it to me for Zach.  Now it hangs on the wall in my shop until Zach has a place of his own!  

• Like 3
  • Excellent 3
  • Heart 1

Coulter Caleb
On 5/7/2020 at 9:29 AM, PeacemakerJack said:

I graduated to my own ride!

It is awesome that my dad grew up on a wheel horse and it is still in my grandfather's garage and works(I know cause I have driven it) It is great that I am growing up on a wheel horse and making memories that I can pass down to my son!!!

• Like 3
  • Heart 2

JDStheHat

Amazing what one can find on the internet.

After being inspired reading her grandfathers memoirs, my 30 year old daughter suggested I start putting together my own.

As my earliest memories were spending my summers on a farm in southern Illinois, I figured I'd start there.I was not much more than ten at the time, but the things I remember were the tractors, I remember graduating to the 2 cylinder John Deere with the hand clutch (somewhere between a 520 and a 630), but I started on a Wheel Horse. I remember going to the Indy 500 in 1963, where there were Wheel Horses, but there wasn't a whole lot of money on the farm, so I'm thinking it was an earlier model. 

Thanks to all of your pictures, I realized it was their first model, the RS-83 Senior. I wasn't sure, but when I saw the wheel to rope start it on the front and I knew I had it. (Wasn't sure if a Senior or a lever-steer, but ours has a steering wheel!,:unsure:NEWBIE!)

If I can add any pictures I will, but in the mean time, thanks for pulling all this together.

Jack

• Like 1
  • Heart 1

953 nut
10 minutes ago, JDStheHat said:

Thanks to all of your pictures, I realized it was their first model, the RS-83 Senior. I wasn't sure, but when I saw the wheel to rope start it on the front and I knew I had it. (Wasn't sure if a Senior or a lever-steer, but ours has a steering wheel!,:unsure:NEWBIE!)

If I can add any pictures I will, but in the mean time, thanks for pulling all this together.

Jack

:WRS:

Here is a thread about the Lever Steer and other Seniors.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brockport Bill

never knew there was a WH 700 series Zero Turn - learning more every day -- these photos i took from my 1989 brochure when i bought my 312-8 -- Thirty Two yrs ago

20210304_232611.jpg

20210304_233512.jpg

• Like 8

PeacemakerJack

I seem to remember Jim @WHX24 going to look at one of those on the used market here locally in the last couple of years.  I’ll bet you that back then no one would’ve dreamed that those machines would end up being the go to mowers a couple of decades later.  Thanks for sharing that brochure👍🏻

• Like 1

Achto
7 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

never knew there was a WH 700 series Zero Turn

That series was a rebranded Dixie Chopper

• Like 1
  • Excellent 1
  • Thanks 1

WHX??

Yep Bill Dan and I went to look at one just down the road.

Had a Kohler twin in it and was in fair shape for it's age & ran good. Guy let me drive it and it was pretty slick for a machine that was built when z turns were a novelty. It had some zip fer sure. Guy was asking only 650 for it but we passed as I am mower heavy so really didn't need it for that  so what would a guy have done with it? 

Was at a Kubota dealer getting robbed for oil and filters yesterday and they had a line up of Scag's that were just awesome machines. Just 'cause a guy ain't hungry don't mean he can't look at the menu! :)

Edited by WHX24
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Brockport Bill

i am amazed when i see the commercial guys show up at neighbors house with zero turns and they are done in 10-20 minutes

• Like 1

Handy Don
4 minutes ago, Brockport Bill said:

i am amazed when i see the commercial guys show up at neighbors house with zero turns and they are done in 10-20 minutes

For real amazement, check out the Toro Grandstand Multi-Force Stand-On.

Hydraulics, mower, snow blade, lights--just wow.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger
7 hours ago, Achto said:

That series was a rebranded Dixie Chopper

Phil Humphrey the Wheel Horse dealer in Greencastle, Indiana was on the Wheel Horse dealer council when Art Evans started Dixie Chopper in Fillmore, Indiana.   To help start the company Dixie Chopper needed more markets for its products and convinced Wheel Horse to buy branded zero turns on the Early Dixie Chopper platform.   Dixie Chopper has been sold twice now !

https://www.dixiechopper.com/company-history/?back=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2Fsearch%3Fclient%3Dsafari%26as_qdr%3Dall%26as_occt%3Dany%26safe%3Dactive%26as_q%3DAlexa+did+Art+Evans+create+Dixie+chopper+mower's%26channel%3Daplab%26source%3Da-app1%26hl%3Den

more history 

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dixie_Chopper

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Thanks 2

squonk
6 hours ago, Brockport Bill said:

Even with suspension those guys get the crap beat out of them they are going so fast. Mower decks bouncing all over leaving crappy cuts.

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

AMC RULES

:angry-nono:  Not just an ordinary driver, you gotta be a smoove operator there buddy!

• Like 3
  • Heart 1

TJ5208

Yep

redtruck

Great pics, thx for sharing!

• Like 1

Crazyredhorse

some nice old pics.when I was kid drove one of these around the yard for years.always thought it was a wheel horse till lately looking through horses couldn't find this model till I found this pic throttle on hood and I knew this was it

spring.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Crazyredhorse
On 4/23/2021 at 1:02 AM, Crazyredhorse said:

some nice old pics.when I was kid drove one of these around the yard for years.always thought it was a wheel horse till lately looking through horses couldn't find this model till I found this pic throttle on hood and I knew this was it

spring.jpg

Learned today these were made by Quick manufacturing and that business was sold to toro in 1966 so maybe it is a wheelhorse 🤷‍♂️