Bob77A

Replacement Repco FG 4175 Rectifier/Regulator

Bob77A

The Repco FG 4175 15 amp voltage rectifier/regulator failed on my C160 Automatic after 41 years of service.   It was overcharging at about 22 volts and the amp gauge was fluctuating over 15 amps.  I found the terminals burned and the plastic connector melted.  The alternator output on the K341 tested good.

I did some research online and found what I believe was a equivalent replacement rectifier/regulator at DB Electrical.  SKU: AKH6001 for $27.74 (including shipping).  http://www.dbelectrical.com/p-11574-rectifierregulator-john-deere-kohler-engines-15amp.aspx?CAWELAID=130000240000002380&CAGPSPN=pla&gclid=CKm0n5j3m8YCFcURHwodPKEAtQ&   The website said to call to verify the application.

I called and spoke with a DB Electrical representative and they confirmed it was a replacement for the Repco FG 4175 15 amp rectifier/regulator. The only difference is that the spade terminals on the replacement are 0.187” instead of the 0.250” on the original.  The length, width and mounting holes are the same.  The height is ½” shorter, but with the new modern internal electronics the heat sink size is more than adequate.  The price certainly was reasonable, so I ordered one. The new unit arrivedt he next day.

Since my connector shell was already damaged , I crimped 3 single 0.187” insulated terminals on wire ends.  The terminal location is identical and  are clearly marked on the new unit. The replacement unit also has the provision for a ground wire.  I highly recommend grounding the new unit with a wire to the battery ground point on the tractor.  I use a single point star grounding scheme on all my electronic and power equipment.   The AKH6001 rectifier/regulator charges and regulates  at 14.3 volts (full speed and idle) with the lights on.  The amp gauge is steady and decreases smoothly as the battery charges.  I have run it now for over 6 hours for snow removal of the last two storms here in Springfield MA.  It is keeping the 22 series battery properly charged.

Note: Since I ordered my rectifier/regulator 2 weeks ago, there has been a price increase to $28.30 (includes shipping) on this unit. Still a great price for this unit.

HPIM0996.JPG

HPIM0997.JPG

HPIM0998.JPG

• Like 8

Ed Kennell

:text-thankyoublue:     for sharing Bob.   Great repot  and   :WRS:

• Like 1

DougC

Sure pays to shop around. Lots of good threads here on the forum about voltage rec/regs and sources and prices members paid for them. Most with no tax and free shipping. :handgestures-thumbupright:

WHX??

You mean you only got 41 years of service out of it? Hopefully you get that many years out of the new one!

KC9KAS

I bought 2 of those last fall from DB Electrical through EBay.

Neither one would work, but they did refund my money with no problem, and sent a pre-paid USPS label to ship them.

Hope you didn't get one I sent back! :(

roadapples

Thanks for the info`, and welcome to Red Square...