Rev.Mike

Kohler 241as problem

Rev.Mike
im having a problem with my kohler, it starts and runs fine, but sometimes it will run smooth then bog down like under a load, then smooth out, ive checked for vacume leaks and checked the points gap and cleaned the carb, dont find anything wrong, any idea guys

Rob R

Hmmm could be a lot of things but my guess it is probably friction related.... specifically drive train related like a bad bearing in a idler pulley, the drive belt rubbing  or something binding.... reminds me of when you start a cold engine with the clutch in and the engine bogs if you let off before it gets a moment to warm-up.... suggest you chk everything in the drive chain for binds also oil and gear movement in the transmission (friction - binding) .....just saying....  

Rev.Mike

it does this when it idles or high rev, the drive belt is off of it at the moment, had to get a new one cause the old one was in bad shape

woodchuckfarmer

Have you checked your fuel system Like the vent in the tank or water in the gas.?

• Like 1

Rev.Mike

i have not checked that, ill leave the cap off drain the tank, and lines and put in new gas and see what happens

Shynon

Throttle shaft play, run the motor and wiggle the throttle shaft and see if that changes the way it runs.

• Like 1

Phatboy
1 hour ago, woodchuckfarmer said:

Have you checked your fuel system Like the vent in the tank or water in the gas.?

I would look into fuel also , does it have a filter on there ? If so id change it and check fuel line for cracks maybe sucking air in with fuel

Rev.Mike

i did put on a new filter, and checked the connections, and ran new fuel lines, i will check valve clearances, and do a little tweaking on the carb tomorrow, and see what happens

KC9KAS
  • Like 1

russellmc301

check the spark plug i know it sounds dumb but i have had some original plugs that are just nubs and that whats happen.

Ed Kennell

Was the float OK when you cleaned the carb.    Set to correct height, no leaks, new valve seat.

Rev.Mike

float was fine in it, set right, i got it to run better, reset the valve lash, they were too wide, re set the points, it idles just fine, but speeding it up, it will hesitate, then go, BUT when you put it under load, it will run fine for a few minutes, then start to spit and sputter, i converted it to a new pulse pump, new filter, so im still at a loss, adjusted the carb every way i can, and it will run good, then after a while, it will act up, changed the condenser, same thing, even new coil, coil wire as well

Edited by Rev.Mike

Ed Kennell

Sounds like it could be sucking air.   Check the bolts and gasket between the carb and block.   Did you check for play in the throttle shaft like Shynon suggested?

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
5 minutes ago, ekennell said:

Sounds like it could be sucking air.   Check the bolts and gasket between the carb and block.   Did you check for play in the throttle shaft like Shynon suggested?

Spray some carb cleaner around the intake, etc, see if it changes

• Like 3

Callen

Where did you add the pulse for the fuel pump?

Rev.Mike

i did check the throtle shaft play, and there doesnt seem to be any, sprayed around it and no change, same with around the gasket, no change, as far as where i got the pulse for the new pump, i made a plate that fit over the old fuel pump location, and drilled and tapped it so it would take a nipple for the vaccume line, and ran it to the pump, the pump works fine, i think i may just need to get a new carb, this one may just be wore out,

• Like 1

WH nut

When it bogs down, look at the throttle linkage to see if its going full throttle, if if is, add a little choke and see if she speeds up. If it does and runs better you are running lean and need to adjust the carb

ericj

i had a mag 12 that use to do something like that, but only when hot, it turns out that it was a valve sticking had the valve guides redone and it helped and the tractor runs good now

eric j   

• Like 1