chorusguy

what is the difference between a k series 16hp and a magnum 16hp

chorusguy

have c160's with K 321's i believe.  16 hp K series engines.  I saw on craigslist a 16 hp magnum for a pretty good price.  They look very similar. Can someone tell me what is different?

Thanks

roadapples

The magnum has no points, not sure what else may be different. I have both and don`t see any difference in the way they work...The 16 horse is K341, K321 is 14..

JAinVA
1 hour ago, chorusguy said:

have c160's with K 321's i believe.  16 hp K series engines.  I saw on craigslist a 16 hp magnum for a pretty good price.  They look very similar. Can someone tell me what is different?

Thanks

The Magnum has a different starter,and flywheel than the K series.The throttle and choke are connected differently than the K series,at least the the ones I have are different.

Internally I have read that the crank counter weights are lighter requiring the balance weights be used.Because the Magnum series doesn't use points the normal K ignition switch will not shut off the engine.The ignition has to go to ground as opposed to switched to open.The Magnum is a good choice to replace a K if you know what needs to be addressed to make it run and shut off.Engine swaps are what  keep these old girls running.I have a 16 K in place of the 220 Onan that came in my 520h so if the price on the Magnum is reasonable and it is in good shape go for it.Luck,JAinVA

• Like 4

chorusguy

thanks guys.  I don't actually need a new engine yet, but it did spark my curiosity.  Very good information. 

otrelwood

if its a good buy get it for a spare they are getting hard to find and expensive

wrightorchid

A good engine, worth getting if the price is right.