Rob.A.700

953 hydraulic issues...

Rob.A.700

Long story short I ended up buying my buddys 953. The reason for him selling was the hydraulic pump witch he thought he had finally worked the kinks out stopped working. I have sense halfheartedly looked things over checked the fluid (added alittle), checked the pulley set screw (still tight). To say that it stopped working is not entirely true it will raise and sort of lower the slot hitch with no weight i.e. the 54'' plow that was on the front. Has anyone had this issue before? It is not the original pump it is off a bolens but i do still have the original pump. The ram was also rebuilt and the lines are new.

953 nut

Lane Ranger did a good thread on these pumps a while back, here it is.

• Like 1

Lane Ranger

If it raises and lowers the rear slot hitch  does it also raise and lower the rockshaft in the middle of the tractor?  That is what the 54 inch plow would be attached to to raise and lower.     

The Bolens pump should be just like the original Hein Werner as they used the same ones on early tractors.  Bolens, Cuc Cadet, Panzer and others used these Hein Werner pumps.

Rob.A.700:

You may want to take the old original 953 pump apart to see what it is like inside?   Ie  Spring could be broken or it could need a new O ring and  pulley shaft oil seal to function properly without leaking fluid.

You may still nneed more fluid to make sure the pump produces the full 300 lbs of pressure a good working pump will have.   Check for leaks all the way around the system too.

Pics below are of  #1  a 1054/953 pump,  #2  a 701 type pump and pump piston,  #3  a spring for a 701 and 953 type pump.

006.JPG

001.JPG

003.JPG

004.JPG

Edited by Lane Ranger
  • Like 1

Lane Ranger

Here are a few more pics of what the Hein Werner pumps look like inside with two different pistons -one from a 701/953 and one from a 1054.

The last two photos have the two different pistons used in the Hein Werner pumps.

The first three photos are of a 1054 Wheel Horse pump with what I call the Butterfly spring that was used on the 1054 version pump.

The final photo is of  the Spring used on the 701 and 953 type pump pistons.   The Spring on left is one that was made that faulty due to short legs- the one on right is correct for rebuilding.   Make sure if you ever buy a repalcement spring that you get one with long legs.   I call this type spring the Rabbit Ear one.

303.JPG

304.JPG

305.JPG

301.JPG

302.JPG

306.JPG

• Like 1

Rob.A.700
41 minutes ago, Lane Ranger said:

If it raises and lowers the rear slot hitch  does it also raise and lower the rockshaft in the middle of the tractor?  That is what the 54 inch plow would be attached to to raise and lower. 

yes it does the original pump he had the local hydraulic shop rebuild it, they butched it up some but we got it to working order then the front seal gave out and as usual the spring was broken. The pump off the bolens (currently in the tractor) the spring is fine and it does not leak oil.

Edited by Rob.A.700
  • Like 1

Rob.A.700

i cant ask for this help without at least posting a picture of the old gal..

.01282016795.jpg.49f28288e5741ff779ff3b7d

• Like 4

Shynon
8 hours ago, Rob.A.700 said:

It is not the original pump it is off a bolens

Is the pump turning the correct direction?  some pumps may turn the wrong direction depending on how they are mounted, Just like starter generators.

• Like 1

Rob.A.700
50 minutes ago, Shynon said:

Is the pump turning the correct direction?  some pumps may turn the wrong direction depending on how they are mounted, Just like starter generators.

Yeah the pump worked great for awhile then the last bit of snow the required removal it just stopped.

953 nut
10 hours ago, Rob.A.700 said:

pump worked great for awhile then the last bit of snow the required removal it just stopped.

It may have leaked enough fluid that it can't fill the ram all the way.

Rob.A.700
2 minutes ago, 953 nut said:

It may have leaked enough fluid that it can't fill the ram all the way.

Fluid was the first thing I checked i topped it off but it didn't loose enough to not move at all with the plow on. I checked after i topped it off no change.

• Like 1

Rob.A.700

So the answer to my problem was the ram after all... I tore apart the pump and every thing was fine there. I swapped out the ram with another one I had on hand and I worked fine. I tore apart the other ram (I did not realize they came apart that easy...) and found that the piston separated from the rod. My buddy welded it back together and i put it all back together it seems like it should work just fine.

• Like 3