buffaloman

lessons learned today

buffaloman

#1 Attachamatic does not mean automatic. took awhile to get the snow blower attached ,by the way first time doing that ever.

#2 Cold Start might mean ..is this thing  EVER GONNA START!???? Finally it starts!

#3 Without chains and wheel weights #1 and #2 were worthless.

At least everything appears to wanna work it was turning and  blowing snow. but it just wanted to sit and spin, I was hoping with the ag tires on id have at least something

• Like 2

Sparky

You definitely need weights and chains with a blower....a sno-chucker is way to much weight out front. Ag tires are the worse tires for snow duty so its no surprise they didn't work. Get yourself weights/chains and some good turf tires.

Mike............

• Like 7

Sparky
7 minutes ago, WVHillbilly520H said:

Ags, fluid filled, iron wheel weights, 2 link chains and a 120# weight bracket no problems with traction on pavement or grass with 2 stage blower and 2 feet of snow...turfs are ok but for me the age get the job done.

The weights and chains are what gave you traction....not those ag's.

Mike..........

PS....I love that action pic with snow going 50' in the air!!

• Like 7

WVHillbilly520H

I used to run the turfs fluid filled and chains when I bought it new in '98 then tried the ags about 10 yrs ago...on a 1/4 mile long dirt driveway back home in WV the ags did much better for me than the turfs that seemed to always clog into racing slicks even with chains on...just my experiences...and thanks on action pic.

• Like 2

WHnoob

Went through the same lessons myself on Saturday.  Got stuck a foot outside the garage without chains.  Chains with no weights only got me ~5 more feet with a lot of wheelspin in a foot of snow.  Then the flag came out of the lift tube because I had it (the tube) on upside-down.  I finally got to clear the last ~5 inches of snow on Sunday with the Wheel Horse (the walk-behind ended up getting the first 2 feet on Saturday).  Still no weights, so it was a balancing act between me and the snowthrower and a lot of spinning.  There is a paradox - lifting the thrower reduces its drag on the ground and helps to steer but also takes most of the weight off the rear wheels.  And without lifting it all the way up to the latch position (which takes two hands) I also can't put all of my weight over the rear wheels due to having to lean forward to pull the lever.  I eventually found that lowering the throttle helps prevent the wheels from slipping when the thrower is lifted.

I'd propose another lesson:

4.  Where can I get a lift-assist spring?

On the plus side I finally tightened up the loose throttle cable clamp that was preventing the engine from achieving 3600 RPM - after clearing the snow of course!

• Like 1

JAinVA

noob,

Glen Petit is a vendor here and should have the spring you need.Hope this helps,Luck,JAinVA

• Like 1

Tankman

Turf tires, chains, wheel weights. Worked for my 40 years using Horses.

Just slow 'n steady. Angled blade to start. Squared off for cleanup. Last passes.