BenTheWheelHorseMan

Westendorf FEL?

BenTheWheelHorseMan

Westendorf has a FEL called the TA-52. It is rated for minimum 10 horsepower. I have not seen anybody using them on their horses, so I wandered if it was an option or not. I have a Charger 12 Auto and am open to any suggestions or better companies to get a FEL. I would try to get a Kwikway, but nobody within the state of Indiana seems to be selling one. Like I said before, all feedback is appreciated.

pfrederi

I do not have specific knowledge of teh company but looking at teh parts listing no pump is included, I think they plan on you using the tractors hydro system.  The Sundstrand in your charger is not capable of moving that much fluid at teh pressure they list 1800psi or 2200 psi.

• Like 2

BenTheWheelHorseMan
38 minutes ago, pfrederi said:

I do not have specific knowledge of teh company but looking at teh parts listing no pump is included, I think they plan on you using the tractors hydro system.  The Sundstrand in your charger is not capable of moving that much fluid at teh pressure they list 1800psi or 2200 psi.

Yes, I would need a pump and maybe a control valve too. Not sure if that comes with or no. Really any loader I figure will need its own pump just because even if the tranny could pump that fast it would heat up real quick. I was asking more along the lines of has anybody used one and if they have, have they had good luck with it. Just curious though, do you have any recommendations for a pump I could run off of the pto on my tractor? 

WNYPCRepair
24 minutes ago, BenTheWheelHorseMan said:

Yes, I would need a pump and maybe a control valve too. Not sure if that comes with or no. Really any loader I figure will need its own pump just because even if the tranny could pump that fast it would heat up real quick. I was asking more along the lines of has anybody used one and if they have, have they had good luck with it. Just curious though, do you have any recommendations for a pump I could run off of the pto on my tractor? 

Check this thread. He mounted it on an xi series, but you would just need a different bracket

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 1

BenTheWheelHorseMan
4 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Check this thread. He mounted it on an xi series, but you would just need a different bracket

Those are all good ideas. If I was to use the westendorf that I posted about earlier, I would need a different pump because that particular loader require 1800-2200 psi according to the website. How expensive do you figure something like the loader snowmobile addict made would be as far as supplies? 

WNYPCRepair

Building one from scratch, you mean? I'm totally guessing, but I'm thinking a couple grand at least. 

BenTheWheelHorseMan
1 hour ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Building one from scratch, you mean? I'm totally guessing, but I'm thinking a couple grand at least. 

Geez. Well looks like that idea is probably not a real lucrative one at this point. Are there any other manufacturers of FELs that would fit my charger?

WNYPCRepair
44 minutes ago, BenTheWheelHorseMan said:

Geez. Well looks like that idea is probably not a real lucrative one at this point. Are there any other manufacturers of FELs that would fit my charger?

PF Engineering had an estimate of $1200 as of 2013. 

BenTheWheelHorseMan
27 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Here's a pump

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200329712_200329712

Professional FEL plans http://pf-engineering.com/

Basic plans here

Did you get a quote for that TA-52? Curious what they sell for

Thanks for that lead on a pump. Those of engineering plans have a pretty good reputation around here, I've seen them recommended a couple of times. Westendorf will probably get back to me Monday or Tuesday. I will be sure to post what they quoted me.

• Like 1

wallfish

Hope they are reasonable and you're not to shocked by the price. BTW, looks like a joystick control valve is included

WNYPCRepair
13 minutes ago, wallfish said:

Hope they are reasonable and you're not to shocked by the price. BTW, looks like a joystick control valve is included

Where does it say that? That would be a heck of a deal. The pump has awesome reviews too. Someone named Victor G used one for a WH FEL, wonder if he is a member?

wallfish
3 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Where does it say that?

http://www.loaders.com/aspx/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=200

Down towards the bottom under standard loader package

6 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Someone named Victor G used one for a WH FEL, wonder if he is a member?

Are you referring to the pump?

If so, I use that exact pump to power a back hoe. Works perfect since '08 with no issues at all

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
39 minutes ago, wallfish said:

http://www.loaders.com/aspx/product/productdetail.aspx?productid=200

Down towards the bottom under standard loader package

Are you referring to the pump?

If so, I use that exact pump to power a back hoe. Works perfect since '08 with no issues at all

Ah, OK, I was referring to the pump in both questions. I thought you meant the pump came with a joystick. 

Cool, I don't think I saw a bad review in the bunch. Saving that for when/if I build a loader.

1 hour ago, BenTheWheelHorseMan said:

Those of engineering plans have a pretty good reputation around here, I've seen them recommended a couple of times.

I ordered them, I haven't had time to do more than just scan them, but they look pretty good. Would be nice to have CAD drawings though.

Edited by WNYPCRepair

BenTheWheelHorseMan
9 hours ago, wallfish said:

Yeah. I hope so too. I saw that the joystick valve is included, which is awesome. I just have to remember that through all of this I can't put the cart before the horse and I have to get a 520h front axle and spindles somewhere.

Snowmobileaddict

I'd be surprised if the TA-52 by Westendorf was much less then $4,000. 

That said, even for a great price, it may not be a good candidate to adapt to even the largest of wheel horse tractors.  Its hard to find a spec sheet on the TA-52.  I did come across a cached copy that indicated its spec'd to lift 1,350 lbs in the bucket.  That's a lot of weight.  The Kwikways, Johnsons, ARK, etc all were speced to lift in the neighborhood of 500 lbs.  A much more appropriate payload for our smaller tractors. 

Furthermore, there is not an overall weight spec published for the TA-52 attachment.  For example the Kwikway I'm restoring tips the scales at about 400 lbs.  If the TA-52 can lift 1,350 lbs, I'd guess that it weighs much more than 400lbs ready-to-mount.

If think your best bet is to build new from PF loader plans or wait for a small FEL to show up on Craigslist or Auction.  I had to be patient.  I looked for 4 years before I found mine 6 hrs away from me in southern Indiana. 

As for budgeting a home-build, If you're buying new un-used parts its really easy to get to the $1000-mark for hydraulics alone (cylinders, hoses, plumbing, pump, valve, fittings add up fast).  I'll be all in at just under $1,200 on my build when I'm done.  I dropped $250 on a brand new bucket though because I wanted mine to be perfect when done.  The last thing I need to buy is a 5 gallon jug of hydraulic oil. 

Good Luck!

A company that may make a more WH-Friendly FEL is Koyker.

Their model 50 might be the ticket.  However the price of admission could be pretty high.

322006_175532.jpg

Here are their website links:

http://www.koykermfg.com/index.php/products/loaders/photos/

Here is the model 50 manual and specs:

http://www.koykermfg.com/images/koyker-manuals/676612%20(50)%20090913.pdf

If you'd like the e-mail of a very responsive Koyker dealer you can contact Ron at Ranchandsupply:

Ronald@ranchandsupply.com

I was trying to source a bucket from him back in December before I struck a deal with Rod at CTC Loaders in Wausau, WI

CTC makes arguably the most affordable FEL for smaller tractors.  He only builds for JD an Simplicity Legacy's though.  http://www.compacttractorandcomponents.com/

His bucket was a perfect fit for a Kwikway replacement bucket though.

Edited by Snowmobileaddict

pfrederi

an FEL with 1,350lbs in the bucket would make pretzels out of a Chargers front spindles....

Not to be overly negative but spending $1500,-2000 to buy/build a FEL to use on  48 Year old tractor that really isn't built for it (You would want gear reduction steering and reinforced spindles)???

BenTheWheelHorseMan
9 hours ago, pfrederi said:

an FEL with 1,350lbs in the bucket would make pretzels out of a Chargers front spindles....

Not to be overly negative but spending $1500,-2000 to buy/build a FEL to use on  48 Year old tractor that really isn't built for it (You would want gear reduction steering and reinforced spindles)???

As far as gear reduction steering, with the amount of time the loader would be in heavy use, which is very little, I don't think that that is a huge deal. Reinforced spindles is why I would have to do s 520h front axle/spindle swap.

9 hours ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

I'd be surprised if the TA-52 by Westendorf was much less then $4,000. 

That said, even for a great price, it may not be a good candidate to adapt to even the largest of wheel horse tractors.  Its hard to find a spec sheet on the TA-52.  I did come across a cached copy that indicated its spec'd to lift 1,350 lbs in the bucket.  That's a lot of weight.  The Kwikways, Johnsons, ARK, etc all were speced to lift in the neighborhood of 500 lbs.  A much more appropriate payload for our smaller tractors. 

Furthermore, there is not an overall weight spec published for the TA-52 attachment.  For example the Kwikway I'm restoring tips the scales at about 400 lbs.  If the TA-52 can lift 1,350 lbs, I'd guess that it weighs much more than 400lbs ready-to-mount.

If think your best bet is to build new from PF loader plans or wait for a small FEL to show up on Craigslist or Auction.  I had to be patient.  I looked for 4 years before I found mine 6 hrs away from me in southern Indiana. 

As for budgeting a home-build, If you're buying new un-used parts its really easy to get to the $1000-mark for hydraulics alone (cylinders, hoses, plumbing, pump, valve, fittings add up fast).  I'll be all in at just under $1,200 on my build when I'm done.  I dropped $250 on a brand new bucket though because I wanted mine to be perfect when done.  The last thing I need to buy is a 5 gallon jug of hydraulic oil. 

Good Luck!

A company that may make a more WH-Friendly FEL is Koyker.

Their model 50 might be the ticket.  However the price of admission could be pretty high.

322006_175532.jpg

Here are their website links:

http://www.koykermfg.com/index.php/products/loaders/photos/

Here is the model 50 manual and specs:

http://www.koykermfg.com/images/koyker-manuals/676612%20(50)%20090913.pdf

If you'd like the e-mail of a very responsive Koyker dealer you can contact Ron at Ranchandsupply:

Ronald@ranchandsupply.com

I was trying to source a bucket from him back in December before I struck a deal with Rod at CTC Loaders in Wausau, WI

CTC makes arguably the most affordable FEL for smaller tractors.  He only builds for JD an Simplicity Legacy's though.  http://www.compacttractorandcomponents.com/

His bucket was a perfect fit for a Kwikway replacement bucket though.

When you talk about the koyker, could you give me a possible ballpark figure as to what that might cost? I don't know and have very little experience in this arena so any help is appreciated.

WNYPCRepair

Well, Westendorf hasn't even replied to my request for a quote

WNYPCRepair

If anyone is near Mason WI, here is a FEL frame and pistons for $250. Worth looking at to cut down to build your own. 

http://www.fastline.com/v100/Koyker-K5-LULICH-IMP-INC-MASON-WI-equipment-detail-28ec1fa9-b335-4c29-90cf-f67832e7f500.aspx

BenTheWheelHorseMan
44 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Well, Westendorf hasn't even replied to my request for a quote

Westendorf has not replied to my request for a quote either.

33 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

If anyone is near Mason WI, here is a FEL frame and pistons for $250. Worth looking at to cut down to build your own. 

http://www.fastline.com/v100/Koyker-K5-LULICH-IMP-INC-MASON-WI-equipment-detail-28ec1fa9-b335-4c29-90cf-f67832e7f500.aspx

It's too bad that I do not live near Mason Wisconson or that would be really good to check out.

• Like 1

Snowmobileaddict
58 minutes ago, BenTheWheelHorseMan said:

As far as gear reduction steering, with the amount of time the loader would be in heavy use, which is very little, I don't think that that is a huge deal. Reinforced spindles is why I would have to do s 520h front axle/spindle swap.

When you talk about the koyker, could you give me a possible ballpark figure as to what that might cost? I don't know and have very little experience in this arena so any help is appreciated.

That small koyker will easily be in the $4k-5k range.

For comparison, Kwikway, now Bleu KW still makes a descendant loader that shares dna with my loader.  It's only built for Simplicity Legacy XLs and runs $5,200.  That loader is designed for a tractor of the 5Xi size.

When I say CTC is the most affordable at $2800-$3200 that is no joke.  These toys are SPENDY!!!

If you want in on the cheap you can build one and buy pieces each month, or hold out for a project loader like I did.  You can buy parts as you go.

38 minutes ago, WNYPCRepair said:

That loader came off a big Oliver 1755.  That's a 5-ton tractor.

probably too big for a WH.

WNYPCRepair
7 minutes ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

Definitely. You would have to cut it down to fit. After I posted it I thought the Hydraulic rams would probably be too long though.

BenTheWheelHorseMan
11 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Definitely. You would have to cut it down to fit. After I posted it I thought the Hydraulic rams would probably be too long though.

That is true, I didn't think about the rams being too long either. 

11 hours ago, Snowmobileaddict said:

That small koyker will easily be in the $4k-5k range.

For comparison, Kwikway, now Bleu KW still makes a descendant loader that shares dna with my loader.  It's only built for Simplicity Legacy XLs and runs $5,200.  That loader is designed for a tractor of the 5Xi size.

When I say CTC is the most affordable at $2800-$3200 that is no joke.  These toys are SPENDY!!!

If you want in on the cheap you can build one and buy pieces each month, or hold out for a project loader like I did.  You can buy parts as you go.

I am figuring out that these FELs even for garden tractors are real expensive unless you get super luck or build it yourself.

pfrederi

I do not know about your intended use but at some point you might want to consider picking up an older used FEL/Back hoe ..full sized.  A good friend picked up Case 530CK gasser  for about $3,500.  Spent about 800 on parts and now has an older but very useful tool.

I bought a Farmall M with a trip bucket loader for 2000.  she isn't pretty and the engine is on the tired side but she works, starts quick and picks up a lot more than my D200.

The state dropped off a load of ditch cleaning a couple years ago it had lots of sod chunks in it and eh D200 didn't do well at digging in to the pile.  Farmall did it a lot faster and easier (and was cheaper than the D200)

IMG_3356.JPG

IMG_3362.JPG