Crawdad

Snowthrower belt too loose

Crawdad

Hi all you movers of snow, I have a Wheel horse 520 H 1996 Model 73501

and just reattached my model 79361 snowthrower on it and the belt is very loose.

I had used the blower last season and it had performed great (it came with the blower already on)

I removed it for mowing use and reattached a month ago with the same belt. Even with the belt

on the inner/larger PTO pulley, the belt was so loose that it would barely turn the auger without

engagement into snow and completely stopped in snow. the belt then came off and was damaged so that

the steel cords started to protrude and I replaced the belt. (belt: # 116332)

The new belt slips also and the symptoms are the same, even on the larger PTO sheave.

The belt tension spring is mounted and functioning and as far as I can tell I have routed the belt correctly.

I tried to visit pages that show images of this, but was not allowed to view the content??

Are there any additional ways to make the belt fit better?

I'll post some key pictures of what it all looks like shortly

When I removed the cover for the belt at the PTO I noticed that I had it on the smaller/outside sheave and moved it to the larger.

this did tension the belt better and perhaps it will work. However I am concerned about the Belt guard that is situated between the 3

pulleys on the thrower- is it in the right position?

current belt route 1-13-16 (Medium).jpg

current belt route full 1-13 (Medium).jpg

Snowthrower 1-13-16 (1) (Medium).jpg

Snowthrower 1-13-16 (2) (Medium).jpg

Edited by Crawdad
Add pictures

WNYPCRepair

Pictures will definitely help

gwest_ca

Single stage snowthrower on the brain - sorry. You have a 2-stage blower so the following does not apply.

Sounds like you don't have it routed correctly

Garry

gwest_ca

You should be able to download this manual

Garry

• Like 2

Crawdad

Thanks for the manual Garry, That gave me the diagram to route the belt correctly.

the manual I had did not show this. :D You Rock Buddy!

now about that guard within the 3 sheaves?

OK Garry, everything is in order now, Thank you very much for the help!

Proper belt routing (Medium).jpg

Edited by Crawdad
  • Like 4

aw409

I am having an issue with attachit my snowblower to my 314-8 when I put the belt on the v pulley and belt rubs on the front axle and the belt seems nowhere near tight enough. I have bought a new belt 9750 and just ordered a new idler spring from eBay. I have the belt in the outer PTO it comes out of the bottom of the PTO, under the v pulley over the flat idler, and then under the drive pulley on the snowblower. What am I missing? Is there a smaller belt? 

WVHillbilly520H
4 minutes ago, aw409 said:

I am having an issue with attachit my snowblower to my 314-8 when I put the belt on the v pulley and belt rubs on the front axle and the belt seems nowhere near tight enough. I have bought a new belt 9750 and just ordered a new idler spring from eBay. I have the belt in the outer PTO it comes out of the bottom of the PTO, under the v pulley over the flat idler, and then under the drive pulley on the snowblower. What am I missing? Is there a smaller belt? 

5/8x69" belt is correct for the single stage thrower...post #3 above shows the correct routing.

• Like 1

aw409

Yeah I have looked at the routing and even printed the full owners manual and have gone over the routing. I can't figure out why it's rubbing on the axle. Pictures are with new and old belt

20191010_183830.jpg

20191007_122155.jpg

WVHillbilly520H

The only thing I can think of is your idler tension spring is not installed correctly... Here's a couple pics of mine from a years back...

Screenshot_2019-10-10-20-31-56.png

Screenshot_2019-10-10-20-32-25.png

• Like 1

aw409

See the spring currently on mine doesn't look that long, maybe it's the wrong one. I'm still waiting for the one I ordered to arrive. What I ordered was Toro wheel horse part 6651. I just bought the snowblower this year so this is my first time attaching it.

WVHillbilly520H
7 minutes ago, aw409 said:

See the spring currently on mine doesn't look that long, maybe it's the wrong one. I'm still waiting for the one I ordered to arrive. What I ordered was Toro wheel horse part 6651. I just bought the snowblower this year so this is my first time attaching it.

The belt routing looks correct so the tension spring is all that looks suspect to me.

Crawdad
On 1/13/2016 at 12:02 PM, Crawdad said:

Hi all you movers of snow, I have a Wheel horse 520 H 1996 Model 73501

and just reattached my model 79361 snowthrower on it and the belt is very loose.

I had used the blower last season and it had performed great (it came with the blower already on)

I removed it for mowing use and reattached a month ago with the same belt. Even with the belt

on the inner/larger PTO pulley, the belt was so loose that it would barely turn the auger without

engagement into snow and completely stopped in snow. the belt then came off and was damaged so that

the steel cords started to protrude and I replaced the belt. (belt: # 116332)

The new belt slips also and the symptoms are the same, even on the larger PTO sheave.

The belt tension spring is mounted and functioning and as far as I can tell I have routed the belt correctly.

I tried to visit pages that show images of this, but was not allowed to view the content??

Are there any additional ways to make the belt fit better?

I'll post some key pictures of what it all looks like shortly

When I removed the cover for the belt at the PTO I noticed that I had it on the smaller/outside sheave and moved it to the larger.

this did tension the belt better and perhaps it will work. However I am concerned about the Belt guard that is situated between the 3

pulleys on the thrower- is it in the right position?

current belt route 1-13-16 (Medium).jpg

current belt route full 1-13 (Medium).jpg

Snowthrower 1-13-16 (1) (Medium).jpg

Snowthrower 1-13-16 (2) (Medium).jpg

6 years later I'm glad I found this post and picture again! It's like i need a manual everytime I change an implement  every 365 days. I suppose I'll do a photo sequence for each implement, and then can locate it when it's needed again the next time. Aging sucks.