Gernzz8

Amp Meter Bouncing

Gernzz8

My Amp meter bounces like crazy pretty much all the time. Almost evenly POS. to NEG?

I haven't delved into the connectors and of the like yet. Just putting it out there before I start. Any Ideas.

All the Best,

Danny

doc724

I seem to recall (like back when I was in high school) that an ammeter is simply a voltmeter with an internal shunt.  If it is bouncing around from positive to negative, it may be receiving unrectified voltage.  Just a guess.  Other RS members will jump in here as I am sure you are not the first one to have this problem.

Cleaverkid

I've got an 864 with the original starter/generator and voltage regulator on top.  My meter does the same thing.  I've discovered that if I put my hand firmly on the voltage regulator and push down hard the bouncing stops and the meter acts normal.   So I'm guessing I've got some sort of grounding issue, but so far I haven't figured out what needs to be grounded to what.  Tried just running a solid wire from the base of the v.r. to ground, but that didn't do it, so I'm wondering if there's something internal on the v.r. that's not making good ground.  Maybe that's someplace for you to start.

Joe

RedRanger

I've never had an amp meter that stayed steady when running.

They've all bounced.  I assumed that's why everyone evolved to volt meters.  Never had an issue with volt meters.

To me, an amp meter does nothing more than tell you something is happening.

If it's pegged one way or the other, then you have an issue.  :lol:

Edited by RedRanger

whtractors24

I just put a Brand new amp meter in my 753 it bounces very little ! :ychain:

• Like 1

Gernzz8

If you dig deep enough on this site you can find pretty much anything you need.

I found a thread from Feb. 9, 2013 "Voltmeter Problem", rmaynard posted an Awesome wiring diagram to convert an Amp Gauge to a Voltmeter.

I like the idea of seeing my voltage "Live". However, I'm not sure I want to change from "Original"?

The interesting part is that at times (very few) the Amp Gauge will lean toward Pos. and have minimal movement.

Danny

• Like 3

russellmc301

i just know my horse has one i don't even look at but once or so if something is not working. :)

• Like 1

Wishin4a416
39 minutes ago, Gernzz8 said:

If you dig deep enough on this site you can find pretty much anything you need.

I found a thread from Feb. 9, 2013 "Voltmeter Problem", rmaynard posted an Awesome wiring diagram to convert an Amp Gauge to a Voltmeter.

I like the idea of seeing my voltage "Live". However, I'm not sure I want to change from "Original"?

The interesting part is that at times (very few) the Amp Gauge will lean toward Pos. and have minimal movement.

Danny

Do you have the link for this. I searched to no avail. Interesting read I would think.

Gernzz8

Here you go Jack:

• Like 1

953 nut

:WRS:       My guess would be that a wire terminal at the regulator or Amp Meter is about to come apart and is only making momentary contact. :twocents-02cents:  Give them all a good cleaning and make sure the regulator is well grounded, see if that helps.

• Like 1

Wishin4a416
1 hour ago, Gernzz8 said:

Here you go Jack:

Thank You. And I would have to agree with Richard. Odd things happen if the regulator is not grounded good.