RueMcnasty

Axle and Hub Help

RueMcnasty

Over the last few days I've been browsing through the forums looking for information on how to fix a leaking rear axle seal. I'm happy to report that this forum was extremely helpful in pointing me in the right direction and getting the correct seal (although it was a little tough to find) for my C-160 - so big thanks to everybody! Now, tonight I attempted to change the seal and put everything back together. Seal went on great and I think the leak has been fixed. The problem I'm now running into is with the hub itself. I had no problem removing it upon dis-assembly because of the leaking seal, it slid off with minimal effort. The problem is that when reassembling tonight I've found that after I put the hub on over the woodruff key, the hub seems to spin on the hub, about 1/8 of a turn +/-. That seemed excessive to me, so I tried to tighten up the set screw, which bottomed out and essentially did nothing. I removed the hub again to see that it appears the center of the hub where the woodruff key sits is widened in the middle where the key would sit. It's wider in the middle that at either end of the little track the key slides through in the hub. My question is whether or not this is normal and expected, or should this stay tight and the hub not spin on the axle at all? I tried to take some pics, but hard to get a good angle on it. I fear I'm in need of a new hub...

20160106_202920.jpg

20160106_202928.jpg

20160106_202936.jpg

• Like 1

wallfish

you need a new hub

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair
11 minutes ago, wallfish said:

you need a new hub

Or a welder and a lathe, and a lot of work

RueMcnasty

Damn... That's what I was afraid of... Thanks guys. I'm off to browse craigslist for a hub or parts tractor... 

WNYPCRepair
16 minutes ago, wallfish said:

you need a new hub

I just noticed the my old machine link  in your signature. Some pretty cool stuff there.

Is this what it looks like? The cylinder screws into the crank case like a jar lid?

568dcc6a99fbe_ScreenShot2016-01-06at9.21

Sorry for the hijack

roadapples

Check the venders section here, someone should have them. And unless your trying to stay original get the heavier duty ones. Oh, and welcome to Red Square

• Like 1

daveoman1966

These hubs have a 1/18" dia hole for the axle. If you can't find one on Red Square, try Ebay for good used ones.    Keywords:  wheelhorse hub and ask seller if the WOODRUFF KEY slot is wallowed out before you buy.

Edited by daveoman1966
  • Like 1

KC9KAS

:text-welcomeconfetti: to :rs:

Put a wanted ad in our classified here, and as others said, check with our vendors.

Is the axle key way still in good shape?

Ed Kennell

:text-welcomeconfetti:   to the :rs:Rue.

I agree....you need a new hub,    But  like stated above, make sure you get one with the correct bore and a good keyway.

There is a second option if you cannot find a good hub.    Your hub could be recut for a wider key, then make a custom stepped key to match the different size slots. 

If you have a friend with a small mill, this may be cheaper than buying a new hub.

To help prevent this keyway damage, I always add a second set screw 90 degrees from the keyway to keep the hub from moving on the shaft.  WH has done this to some of their hubs.

• Like 3

stevasaurus

Kelly is/was a vendor here for parts...he is right out of Charlotte, Mi.  just south of you...maybe contact him.  :)

• Like 1

Howie

I just put a new keyway in a hub today. One needs the 1/4 inch cutter the sleeve to fit the hub and a press. I had seen this done at work numerous

times and decided I needed to try it. Have not put it on yet but it does look good.

David

• Like 1

RueMcnasty
20 hours ago, Howie said:

I just put a new keyway in a hub today. One needs the 1/4 inch cutter the sleeve to fit the hub and a press. I had seen this done at work numerous

times and decided I needed to try it. Have not put it on yet but it does look good.

David

Yea, that's probably a bit beyond my comfort level and I wouldn't have the tools anyways. I've got in touch with Kelly in the vendor section and think he may have a hub for me, but I just need to go pick it up from him. I also thought about maybe just welding on a piece of steel that could be easily cut off in the future. Not my first option, but I'm a little low on funds right now being just after christmas

Anybody know if the hub from a b-81 or b-80 with an 8-speed would fit?

roadapples

If the`re both 1 1/8 axles it will fit.

• Like 1

RueMcnasty
1 hour ago, roadapples said:

If the`re both 1 1/8 axles it will fit.

Right, the trouble is I was going to buy a whole tractor online and without being there to pick it view it first I can't tell the size of the rear axles...

gwest_ca
9 hours ago, RueMcnasty said:

Right, the trouble is I was going to buy a whole tractor online and without being there to pick it view it first I can't tell the size of the rear axles...

The 1973 8hp and 1974-1977 B-80 with 6 forward speeds should work

1973-1976

1976-1977

The B-81 used a different 6-Speed made by Foote and won't work. The engine is a Briggs and Stratton  and the model number on the ID plate will have BF in it for B&S and Foote.

Garry

• Like 2

RueMcnasty

Awesome. Thanks for the help on that one!

wallfish

If you are going with a replacement hub, I'd be interested in the broken one for a rat rod project. Don't need a good key way for what I want to do with it. You can PM me

• Like 1

RueMcnasty

Will do!