AMC RULES

Looks great...  :handgestures-thumbsup:

so, did you paint the sidewalls? 

Achto

The side walls on the rear tires are painted with a white wall tire paint. The fronts were purchased, they are retro scooter tires.

• Like 2

AMC RULES

Definitely dig the look.  :handgestures-thumbsup:

• Like 2

RedRanger

I like it a lot.

Some nice modifications without going over the top.

I see a lot of rat rods that just take it too far.

Love the shovel engine cover, the horse shoes, rusty patina, straight pipe exhaust, white walls.

Maybe do something with the shift rod???

I understand the need for wheelie bars, I too have seen the gas cap of my 401 up close and my 702 has thrown me.

Job well done!

• Like 1

Pullstart

How about a Heineken keg can for a front hanging weight?  If you'd like, I'll get it empty for ya!

• Like 2

SylvanLakeWH

Nicely done!

• Like 1

Achto

Thank you for the complements guys!

18 hours ago, RedRanger said:

Some nice modifications without going over the top.

I see a lot of rat rods that just take it too far

I believe a true rat happens, instead of being purpose built. I haven't owned this tractor long enough for things to evolve, but I did stick with this idea. This is why I tried to only make things I was missing like the foot pads, belt guard, etc. Being a lover of old metal I didn't want to do any thing that would ruin the original tractor either (kinda weird like that). If I change my mind and decide to restore this some day I only have 4 small holes to weld up in the rear hood support that weren't there before. 

I do plan on adding something to the brake pedal to make it longer yet, probably an old S shaped tractor wrench. With the big air filter in the way it's a little hard to get to. The need for a drink holder will be filled as soon I find an old spring the right size. Plan on attaching it to the lift handle.

15 hours ago, pullstart said:

How about a Heineken keg can for a front hanging weight?  If you'd like, I'll get it empty for ya!

I've thought about these but haven't found one to measure up for size. I go for the hard stuff myself, so if I find one of these kegs and like the size I might need help getting it empty.:)

• Like 2

Lyman1234
On 3/20/2016 at 8:14 PM, achto said:

Well it's been fun building my rat rod. Didn't seem right at first to disassemble a whole tractor and not break out the sand blaster & spray gun. Was still a fun project though.

.IMG_20160320_143908460.jpg

OK, so I did spray a little paint. I do like the look of white walls & red rims on rat rods though.

IMG_20160320_143931487.jpg

IMG_20160320_144053462.jpg

IMG_20160320_144144997.jpg

Had to add some wheelie bars. I got a close up view of my gas cap after letting the clutch out one too many times. I'm still looking for the right item to hang on the front for weight. I like the idea of an aluminum tank like they used on gasser cars, just haven't found the right one yet.

IMG_20160320_144414747.jpg

I don't think I will ever be completely done with this  project. I'm always pondering different ideas, but for now it's pretty close to done.

Hi, can you tell me a little about the wheels and tires you used, size, where you found them etc. Thanks

Achto
2 hours ago, Lyman1234 said:

Hi, can you tell me a little about the wheels and tires you used, size, where you found them etc. Thanks

The front tires are Shinko sr550  4.00-8. These are mounted on a newer set of :wh: rims (The originals were completely rotted). I found the best deal on these tires at compacc.com.

The rear tires are a set of used Firestone 23x10.50-12's mounted on rims from an :wh:857. The off set of the rim was important, some rims have less off set and would have allowed the tire to rub the fenders. Many other :wh: had this same off set on the rear rims. I chose used rear tires because I planed on painting the side walls, it is very hard to get paint to stay on new tires. They claim two years of use for the mold release agents to completely be gone from new tires. I mounted the rear tires on the rim, blocked the front wheels, jacked the rear of the tractor up, started the tractor and ran it at about 1/2 to 3/4 throttle in 3rd gear. Then I took a grinder with a flapper disc (80grit then 120grit) on it and ground all the raised lettering off the side wall, taking care not to damage the factory raised line that was on the tire (I wanted this to make taping easier). Oh by the way, this process makes a big mess and stinks pretty bad too. I removed the tires from the rim, painted the rims then mounted the tires back on the rims. Then taped on the factory line that I left on the tire (electrical tape work great for this, it stretches nice and leaves a clean line)  and taped the rim off. 3 coats Ranger White Wall Tire paint applied with a sponge brush. If you use Ranger paint find some one with a paint shaker and have them shake it for 30 min or more the can I got was really separated, had it on the shaker for an hour and still had to run it through a strainer to get chunks out.. After it dries cut lightly along your tape edge with a razor blade and BAM! Wide Whites. Patients is a big key in getting good results.  

Edited by achto
  • Like 2

19richie66

Love the way this turned out. Very nice job!

PeacemakerJack

That's an old skool beaut!  I love it.  Nice work all around with an engine that should keep it purring for years that also has loads of aftermarket support! Can't wait to see it in person.  I'm glad I live close enough to check it out!:woohoo:

• Like 1

Chris G

Great job! Love the lowered front end. Gives it that aggressive street/rat rod look.

• Like 2