baerpath

Anyone have a Ford Flex ?

baerpath

Looking at the Ford Flex's Anyone have any thoughts on them or have one ?  Looking at new ones for Marylou's daily driver

slammer302

I've not owned one but i have looked at lots of them and done sum research on them because my wife was really wanting one for a while and from what i can see they look great and seat alot of people. I know they come in  a all wheel drive and front wheel drive and their is the optional eco boost engine  

WNYPCRepair

If you have specific questions, one of my customers is a Ford dealer and will tell me the truth. I have mechanic friends and sales friends there too, so if there is an issue, they would tell me

953 nut

If I were buying a Ford Flex it would be a "Woody", saw one on a dealer's lot a while back and it was KOOL!

568580b3aeca0_flexwoody.jpg.cc4f6c6b45b7

shallowwatersailor

Sharp looking as a "Woody." If I remember correctly, this was engineered when Ford owned Volvo and used some of their technology. It uses a torque coupling for the rear wheels. Most of the time it uses just the front wheels but the coupling senses slippage so the fluid heats up and tightens the coupling to drive the rear wheels.

I had a Volvo Cross Country with AWD. It was great in the snow, but I happen to cut a sidewall by accident one time. Due to the AWD - that meant four new tires or else chance ruining the AWD components. There was also a bevel gear to transmit the power to the rear axle that was sealed for life. Of course there is no such thing! Due to its design, it required a precise amount of expensive lubricating oil. There wasn't a drain so it needed to be pumped out and then new oil pumped in. I did it once.

Ford has had issues with their electric power steering systems causing huge safety issues.

• Like 1

Challenger

My wife and I bought our 2010 Flex brand new.  It is an SEL version with AWD.   It is by far the best vehicle we have ever owned.  (Between the two of us we've owned about 40 different vehicles over the past 40 years).

Our Flex is about to hit 97,000 miles.  With one exception, our Flex has always been serviced by the local Ford dealer we purchased it from.  The car has needed no repairs other than brakes, tires, fluid changes.  On trips we are able to get about 24 MPG at highway speeds.

This week we had  our third transmission fluid change.  I discussed with the technician a driveline component called a PTU.  As I understand it, this helps coordinate the AWD function of the car.  On our car the PTU is considered sealed for life, however the fluid can be, with some difficulty,  pumped out and replaced.  It has a small capacity at about 18 oz.  PTU failures may often be the result of aggressive driving and the the resultant increase in PTU fluid temperature which could "cook" the fluid making it very thick.

Starting with 2013 models, the PTU was redesigned with a drain plug to facilitate fluid changes.

The Flex did indeed benefit from some Volvo engineering.  The car is considered safe and strong.  It is quiet and smooth and the ride height is not too low or too high.  A comfortable car to enter and exit.  Much like the family station wagons of my youth, this car is well suited for day to day transport of things.  It is also an easy  vehicle for our 70 pound dog to hop in and out of.

If you have not driven one yet, do so.  One drive and my wife  was sold!

Edited by Challenger
  • Like 1

baerpath

Well that was short lived, went and test drove a front wheel drive, an AWD, and a ecoboost AWD yesterday. All were new 2015's   Not going with a Flex.   Her exact words "what a gutless wonder"  Wasn't impressed at all  My 10.000lb truck has smoother and faster take off. Told her we'll start looking at F250's on Sat Their actually cheaper

• Like 1

truckin88

what about expedition?

Ironman

I have a Black 2013 F-150 crew cab 4x4 with a 5.0L for sale if you're interested.