6.0 powerstroke

Bernz antique torch

6.0 powerstroke

I've had this old torch hanging around and figured I'd share some pics and try to find out some info about it.   I didn't see a model # , but there is a patent # , and ottobernz / Newark stamped on it. 

Just curious if anyone here has some insight on these , and whether or not I should clean it up and polish it

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

JimD

It looks like there's a lot of information here:

http://www.blotorches.com/

I also found many videos on youtube about them. Here is one of them:

JC 1965

I think it was in the late 1950s.  I helped an old guy, ( who was a plumber ), put in a cast iron sewer line in a house that was getting indoor plumbing. He used a torch like that to melt the lead to seal the joints, where the sections of cast iron pipe went together. The fuel he used in his torch was white gas ( that's what he called it ) . That was a long time ago.  :confusion-confused: I believe that is the same as the old Coleman lanterns and cook stoves use.     :hide:

• Like 4

KC9KAS

Neat!

I have seen them in an old plumbing/HVAC shop but never seen them used.

After watching the video.....I have done a lot of really stupid stuff over the years, but I WON'T be lighting one of those!!

Edited by KC9KAS
  • Like 2

WNYPCRepair

My grandfather had one, but I was too chicken to try to light it. The guy in the video is way braver than me.

Found this after I posted, LOL.

IT IS STRONGLY SUGGESTED THAT YOU NOT ATTEMPT TO LIGHT ANY GASOLINE BLOW TORCH. THEY ARE SIMPLY TOO DANGEROUS. THERE IS NO RELIABLE WAY TO DETERMINE IF A TORCH IS SAFE TO LIGHT BECAUSE THERE ARE TOO MANY VARIABLES!

Edited by WNYPCRepair
  • Like 1

stevasaurus

JC is right about the "white" gas and Coleman stoves and lanterns.  White gas did not have lead added.  Actually "white" gas is what we use today in our cars, etc. and can be used in the Coleman products.  :)

• Like 1

shallowwatersailor

White Gas is actually Naptha. It is actually more flammable than gasoline.

• Like 2

6.0 powerstroke

this was my grandfathers, and judging by the crud on the tip he must have used it quite a bit.

seeing as how these are fairly common , I've decided to clean it up  and probably end up polishing it

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 3

WNYPCRepair

If you polish it, you will have to keep polishing it, and it will tarnish quickly. 

As it is now, the patina protects it from further tarnish or corrosion. Or so I have read

I am surprised no one mentioned Bernzomatic. And I didn't know they were in western New York

http://www.bernzomatic.com/bernzomatic-history/

Edited by WNYPCRepair

6.0 powerstroke

Yeah I believe the final step would be a clear lacquer to protect the finish.

there should be a " lacquer like coating" already on it from the factory that would need to be removed 

However that is according to the internet....

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
26 minutes ago, 6.0 powerstroke said:

Yeah I believe the final step would be a clear lacquer to protect the finish.

there should be a " lacquer like coating" already on it from the factory that would need to be removed 

However that is according to the internet....

That would do the trick. 

So, are you going to light it?   :D

• Like 1

6.0 powerstroke

No way!  It does look pretty neat though

• Like 2

stevasaurus

Bring it to the Big Show, we can get Mikey to light it.  :text-lol:

TDF5G

I'm certainly not a expert on antiques.  I watch American Pickers and Pawn Stars and some items have more value if left original and unrestored with patina in tact.  It would depend on your intentions with it I suppose.  If you're going to keep it and want to restore it as an heirloom, then I'd say go for it.  I think it would look cool all cleaned up and polished!  

WHX??

I've got a few of those..picked them up at rummage sales & flea markets cheap just for shop deco tho. Never had the stones to lite one up. May try it some day after making sure my home owners is paid up!:angry-extinguishflame:I'd be wearin shoes tho....

I imagine back in the day before mapp gas alot of mechanics, plumbers & blacksmiths had them.

Edited by WHX6
  • Like 1

WHX??

Ok just read the whole thread. ......they got their own Bro's club???? Blow Torch Square?? And some think we're nuts for collecting tractors? ?? I suppose to each his own!!

• Like 4

WNYPCRepair
1 hour ago, WHX6 said:

I've got a few of those..picked them up at rummage sales & flea markets cheap just for shop deco tho. Never had the stones to lite one up. May try it some day after making sure my home owners is paid up!:angry-extinguishflame:I'd be wearin shoes tho....

I imagine back in the day before mapp gas alot of mechanics, plumbers & blacksmiths had them.

Anyone who lights one of those up has a lot bigger stones than I do, that's for sure. I'm not necessarily afraid of death, but I don't want it to be by fire. :)

• Like 2

6.0 powerstroke

this guy makes it look easy

WNYPCRepair

That is the kind my grandfather had, I remember the wooden handle. 

I just don't see myself lighting a can full of pressurized coleman fuel on fire and calmly letting it burn, while sitting in my garage. At best I would light it in the middle of a field and run for my life. 

6.0 powerstroke

I started buffing with white rouge, it's going to be very shiny

image.jpeg

• Like 3