WNYPCRepair

Crows making tools

WNYPCRepair

Thought some of you may like this.

I've always known crows were smart since I was a kid. If we were hunting, we noticed if we held our guns against our body vertically, the crows would come around, but as soon as we moved the gun and they could see it, they would scatter. 

I saw a video the other day that had a plexiglass tube half full of water, with a piece of food floating in it. The crow couldn't reach, so he dropped rocks in to raise the water level until he could reach the food.

This crow is a freaking McGyver. :)

• Like 6

JimD

Very smart birds indeed. It seems they like to ski also..

• Like 5

tractorhogg

While skill levels are important they have never been exclusive to man, in fact many animals have this ability but do not use it because of a lack of need, not the lack of ability. Much of science is wasteful in that it is produced for fame, grants, or money and in that scope it produces very little. I agree this is interesting, but in the field of cognitive behavior it is our morality function that makes us different from animals, not our ability to use a stick to get another stick to get a piece of food. Case in point, would that crow share that food with another hungry crow? No. That is the trait man has that animals do not possess. unfortuantely it is a trait that is dying of a psychologically evolution induced death

Edited by tractorhogg
  • Like 4

JimD

TruffleShuffle_com_Framed_Big_Bang_Theor

• Like 2

DennisThornton
23 hours ago, WNYPCRepair said:

Thought some of you may like this.

I've always known crows were smart since I was a kid. If we were hunting, we noticed if we held our guns against our body vertically, the crows would come around, but as soon as we moved the gun and they could see it, they would scatter. 

I saw a video the other day that had a plexiglass tube half full of water, with a piece of food floating in it. The crow couldn't reach, so he dropped rocks in to raise the water level until he could reach the food.

This crow is a freaking McGyver. :)

I saw thing some time ago on PBS and thought it was outstanding!  Extraordinary!  There was another PBS about Honey Badgers that intrigued me as well.

tractorhogg

A lion is a lion, because all he knows is to be a lion. He is successful due to the breeding of new successful offspring, offspring not his, or not of his quality, he eliminates. Man does not do that, so man will change, he will evolve, not physically, but psychologically to the point that he is no longer man and that is what will end his brief existence on this world. He will breed inferior man, man that loses his strength, courage, morality, and virtue, not all at once, but by the death of a thousand pricks. We are ruled by leaders who will not lead our armies into battle and Christians who are afraid of death, we are becoming puppets and sportsman.

Edited by tractorhogg

JC 1965

Crows are very smart birds. My bother and I use to hunt them when I was a kid. They had a bounty on crows back then. I believe the bounty was 25 cents for 2 crows feet. The crows would dig up corn as fast as you could plant it. ( I think that's why they had the bounty. ) They were a real challenge to hunt.

• Like 1

WNYPCRepair
27 minutes ago, JC 1965 said:

Crows are very smart birds. My bother and I use to hunt them when I was a kid. They had a bounty on crows back then. I believe the bounty was 25 cents for 2 crows feet. The crows would dig up corn as fast as you could plant it. ( I think that's why they had the bounty. ) They were a real challenge to hunt.

Yep, my brother used to shoot them for the bounty

• Like 1

tractorhogg
42 minutes ago, JC 1965 said:

There was no bounty in Kansas, but there was a season. Most times you couldn't get closer than a 1/4" mile, so we used the '06 Springfield. You had to have a steady rest and a calm day, but if you hit one there was a large poof of black feathers and a search for anything resembling a bird.

• Like 2